The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dead Rubber Reins

So I'm taking advantage of this idiotic April Fool's Snow storm and cleaning my tack. Apparently the rubber on one set of reins has called it quits, but the leather is still *really* good. Is there any place that replaces the rubber? It seems like such a waste to toss them, but they aren't really useable at this point - the rubber is a combination of sticky melty areas and dry crumbly nastyness.

Thoughts?
    -Jessica

Most tack shops with a repair division can do this easily for around $15-$25 depending on where you are.

You can always ship it to one of the repair places in a more populated area too.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Thanks! I did some Googling and there's a place in Mass that advertises - I highly doubt there is any place close enough for me to drive to - I'm sort of up in the sticks But it's worth mailing them if it doesn't run too much money!
    -Jessica

Most rubber reins can get new rubber once. You don't want to do it more because you end up adding stitch holes that weakens the integrity if done too much. I won't run XC with redone reins. So once a pair gets redone they are an alternate pair that I might use for schooling or conditioning.

FYI the "sticky melty" areas are caused by fly spray! If you keep your reins out of the way when spraying your horse you won't get that and the reins will last a lot longer.

Effax LederCombi also produces Sticky-melty.... (probably because it dissolves everything else!) But there is a place in MA that does this, and I can't remember the name either!

Any tack shop near a race track will do this.

Tack Shack in Ocala Fl. does a awsome job with the replacing of the rubber on reins and most of the time I love the rubber that he replaces it with better than the original.

I mail mine to Bartville and they do a fantastic job, as one would expect!!!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Well I heard back from the tack shop near Boston - $45 to get one pair re-rubbered

What are the rest of you paying? Ballpark is fine.
    -Jessica

as long as your shipping them out, I suggest Quillin's in Lexignton, KY. I have a pair I am about to sent to them for the same thing. www.quillin.com/

I'm having the same issue. My favorite reins are a pair of rubber lined that I use with my dressage bridle. They are flat leather on the outside with a rubber layer stitched on the inside only. But after almost 10 years, I've worn most of the pebbles off the rubber in the areas my hands go .

Sadly, I'm finding it would cost about as much to replace the reins entirely as to replace the rubber.

Guys, once the rubber bites the dirt, chances are, the reins have seen a lot of use .... check the buckles pretty closely ... reins are the one leather item you just replace rather than re-do. If a caveson breaks...well, you're still alive. If a rein breaks....read OP's title!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

For that price, you might as well get a new pair of the super flexible rubber reins at Bartville. They are only $53 and are awesome. The shipping is like $10 though so its worth it to buy a bunch of stuff at the same time !!

I'm sending in a pair of champion turf racing reins for new rubbers tomorrow. I took the old ones off myself to visually inspect underneath and the leather is in great shape. The rubbers only cracked from excessive wear and tear in that area. My trackside tack shop charges $20 for my choice of colors. For high end reins, I have no problem paying that to keep them usable.

Default yup, 40-45 is about what I pay

My tack repair guy (in VT) will replace rubber on reins and uses the same equus stuff that I see on most. He does charge 40-45, but since they're 100+ reins, I think it's worth it. And the rubber doesn't last nearly as long as the leather, at least for me. Maybe slipping them all the time wears them out. I've had mine done more than once, but before bringing them in, I remove at least part of the old leather and take a look.

Oh, and I've heard that oil causes the gummy stuff. I know someone who kept her good rubber reins in her trunk - used them only for competition - and they came out gummy!

Thanks everyone! The leather is still in excellent condition, as are the hook studs - the rubber came in contact with something (oil/bug spray/etc) that made it all gooky... if it wern't for that, the reins would look just about new.

I have a friend down in NYC - I'm wondering what the tack shop next to Belmont charges. Gotta ask!
    -Jessica

So, I have a pair of rubber reins -- less than one year old, only ride one horse in them and she was not in work for three months of that time. The rubber has completely worn through on most of the edges. And most of the dots have fallen off. I have had lots of rubber reins that lasted YEARS before anything like this. Is this normal? Have I been lucky in the past or does this pair suck?

That seems very soon - mine are usually decent for a couple of years. I know people whose last forever - wonder if it's related to riding style. Seems like the rubber part is always Equus.