The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone out there with TMD/TMJ disorder?

I remember seeing a thread about this before, but now I can't seem to find it. Short version of my story- I've had jaw problems for about 10 years now, mostly believed to be caused by stress and teeth grinding. Until last year, all was well with the use of a night time splint and occassional muscle relaxers. Almost a year ago, I had surgery which involved my mouth being opened quite wide for almost an hour. Since then, I've had extreme pain in my ears, jaw, and neck, often leading to migraine-type headaches. I'm okay when I'm on a soft diet, but will I have to do this forever? I've seen the surgeon, my family MD, and my dentist, and they all say the same thing- give it time to heal. But a year?? Really?? Has anyone else dealt with this? Any words of wisdom?
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I just woke up this morning to a locked jaw. Ugh, it's so horrible! I believe mine is due to grinding but haven't been able to pick up a mouth guard yet. Sorry I don't have any advice, just sympathy because I know what you're going through!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I feel your pain. I've had TMJ for a few years. Its awful!! There are definitely "flare ups" where it gets worse for a few days. I've found that muscle relaxers help me the most. I take Flexeril before bed and it makes a HUGE difference!

i've had it since i was a teenager and it seems like the older i get, the more flare ups i have O_o i'm actually just coming off a 3 week really bad flare up where my jaw was locked "crooked" and i couldn't completely close my teeth on the left and chewing was very painful. ugh!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Yes. Very severe TMJ. I often wake up feeling like I've been hit on the base of my skull with a baseball bat. When it's really bad I feel like drills are in the side of my jaw, my ears pop and the pain between my shoulder blades is pretty bad.

My pain comes primarly from spasm caused by "princess and the pea" syndrome with the little bit of cartlidge in the joint slipping out of place, which further yanks everything out of place. I stop the spasm, I get control of the pain.

I tried the drugs, the massages, the exercises yadda yadda, and was looking at getting my jaw wired shut to let everything "rest" so the spasm would stop. I was a mindless zombie on vicodin and I can't remember what else.

What ultimatly worked was trigger point therapy with pinch plant extract. That got me over the hump. If you can't stop the muscles from spasming, just paralyze them!!!

What works now? A stiff drink. Forget the pills. I was a zombie on the pills. I hate taking pills. One stiff drink, at least for me, does a thousand times more than taking pills every 6 hours.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Low doses of Amitriptyline (75 mg?) can be helpful for TMJ and grinding. Also, think about seeing a massage therapist who specializes in cranio-sacral work to help work through the issues from the surgery. I found that really, really helpful. You have my sympathy, too. It's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    If you can't stop the muscles from spasming, just paralyze them!!!
    Not to de-rail the thread, but would Botox work for something like this?

Thanks for the sympathy! It really sucks! I've been going through a "flair up" for close to a week now, and I don't even know what triggered it. I do know one time it was triggered by HALF of a bagel! Argh!!! My dr prescribed 800 mg ibuporfen 3 times a day along with Flexeril, but now that I'm on anti-anxiety meds, I can't stomach the ibuprofen. Guess I'll be calling the dentist on Monday...
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Had it very badly, and got it corrected with a mouthpiece to reposition my lower jaw, followed by braces to move the teeth into the correct place.

Here's the website for the doctor who did my fix about 10 years ago. It took a while, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

http://www.cliftonsimmons.com/

Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

I had it, lower grade, for years. Made me afraid to go to the dentist and have my mouth open much wider than banana bite height.....

For YEARS I dealt with this. Then, one day I go to a chiro, and she looks at how I stand and walk, tells me to go get an xray before she works on me. I do (upper neck area)....I am CROOKED! Or I was....

I had an old shoulder dislocation injury when I was 18 that I never had followed up on. But apparently, after the 20th time it dislocated, I started to really guard the arm, and hunched over it , leaning my whole body to the right for so long that I actually BENT MY SPINE in that direction!

20 years after the fact, once I had the xrays and KNEW what I was doing, then had the chiro treatments (only a couple), I started holding my body (and my head) the correct way. It was hard, and I still am conscious of it.

Fairly 'miraculously', my TMJ went away, my right hip pain diminished (MSM took it all the way away), and people stopped asking me if I was limping. I've had to adjust the way I ride, since I always rode with my head cocked to the right...messed up my horses' backs and balance doing that for so long

Long story short, it could be something ELSE causing some peoples' TMJ, like it was for me.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.