The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default German Shepherds & Dog Sports

Anyone have a GSD or other working breed? Post pics, stories and if you'd like, give me some breeder/club recommendations in New England!

We are looking to add a GSD to our family either through rescue or buying a puppy from a responsible breeder. I don't ride anymore, but I would like to get into a dog sport like tracking/S&R and maybe something "agility-ish". I have been researching the different lines and preparing for a puppy to turn our world upside down.

I'm curious to hear how people got involved in dog sports with their working breeds, as well. Thanks!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...5/000_0008.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...battery007.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...5/img_0927.jpg

There's my boy Chase. ADORE him!

I'm in CT, best sport GSD breeders I can recommend in this area are actually both in my town. (oddly enough since I live in a rinky dink town, LOL, and we looked at breeders all over New England)
    Hard Rock Kennels and Totana Piper Hill...both in Killingworth CT.
    I got my guy from Hard Rock, his sire was from Piper Hill though.
    He's healthy as heck, no problems. And problems and GSDs go hand in paw often. He's OFA Excellent in all joints and spine and overall health. Athletic as heck. Smart as a whip and sooooo eager to please and sweet. Darned near self training. Obedient as heck too. We call him our little angel in a fur coat, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Here's my guy Radley. He just turned 11 in the beginning of March. You'd never know. We got him from the Seeing Eye. Smartest dog I've ever met! If you want a well trained dog it's worth the money to be on their waiting list. My guy is a little neurotic, but I love him anyway!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_400417_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6723191_n.jpg
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Wow, what a face!
    I guess that second photo is a common "pose" for a GSD picture, huh?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have two German Shepherd Dogs and have been active in the breed's rescue for close to ten years now.

I do sheep herding, tracking (schutzhund style), some obedience and super basic agility with one of my guys. He is a rock star on sheep.

I can't help with breeder recommendations, since I am way the heck out in the Inland North-West. But there is an active GSD forum at www.germanshepherds.com and www.germanshepherdhome.net

There are some really great breeders out there. There are tons of really crappy breeders, and it is important to be very, very careful when puppy shopping. There are a lot of very nice dogs in rescue, too.
    Sheilah

I'm an "or other working breed" person here. Dobermans, specifically.

I'm a competitive obedience person as I am incredibly clumsy and running during agility would put me flat on my face.

I'm looking myself for a serious obedience training club/person as the local club is good for pet training but... However, there are some people who do serious carting and water rescue training with all breeds here, so if I wanted to try those, I could.

I got my fawn female, Tuppence, from someone whose other Doberman (the sister) was beating up on her. She isn't the brightest lightbulb in the lamp, and she has arthritis, so I can't do obedience with her. My black male, Jack, is a Katrina survivor. He has a CD, but I'm having some problems with dumbbell training with him. I may go for a UKC-CD while I figure out what to do.

Love my Dobes!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

I've got one - I'm guessing he's 2 - 2 1/2 right now. We don't do any of the sports you mentioned because I lack the time - but I am positive he would excel at them. He has more drive than I've ever seen in a dog and is a huge sweetheart.

I've wanted a GSD since I was little - our neighbor had one I adored. I was supposed to get a puppy from a rescue, but we adopted another dog who ended up being sick and couldn't adopt the puppy (didn't want to expose a little one to something that could be deadly). I had given up on a GSD for a while.

Then I was supposed to give a talk to the ACOs at the an animal control office/animal shelter. They had some kind of emergency that day, so I missed giving my talk. but they gave me a tour of the facility, including the 'euthanasia row'. There was a cute GSD who licked my fingers and just caught my eye. They told me he was getting euthanized and not put up for adoption because he had heartworms.

I thought about that dog all day. My DH said we could take him and transport him to a rescue. I ended up talking him into letting us take him home, get him back in shape (he was horribly thin) and rehome him. So we made arrangements to pick this dog up. We had a six hour drive home, no crate, and didn't know the dog. My DH commented that he hoped the dog didn't haul us to death...

We went to pick him up and they told me their records were wrong, he wasn't the HW positive dog. He wasn't going up for adoption because "he wasn't friendly and would never get adopted". We opened his kennel, he jumped up on DH. He leapt into the back seat of the car, laid down and looked like he owned the car. He rode home beautifully.

We ended up keeping him ourselves - I love him, he loves our other dog, and he's won over DH.

I wish I had the time to get into some kind of working sport with him...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Misty and ToTheMax - what a handsome boys you have there! Do you know if they are show lines or working lines? I have been leaning toward the working line dogs - at first I wasn't a fan but the smaller, less angular sable dogs have started to really grow on me!

I'll take a look at the CT breeders, thanks for the recommendations. I'm doing some breeder meet-and-greets over the weekend. Some I've gotten a great feeling from over the phone, and some I'm kind of apprehensive about. Of course the one I like the best is the most expensive! But like anything, I guess you get what you pay for.

RHDobes - that's another breed that I've always been interested in and admired. I haven't known many personally though, which is a shame or else I might look into owning one. Funny how you say you're too clumsy for agility - that's why I say agility-ish - I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time!

IdahoRider - I don't know much about rally or the other dog sports, but I'm going to work with a trainer and figure out what's right for my puppy as s/he grows. I am curious about Schutzhund, but a little intimidated at the same time. Guess I should do some more research - I thought it was primarily personal protection training, I didn't realize tracking was included. On another note, we saw a Dock Dogs demo once and that made me giggle with delight - the winner was actually a Malinois. It would be great if I had a GSD that liked the water.

Cowgirljenn - I love your story. They really do seem to pick their people. We have looked at shelters and in rescue and to our dismay haven't found a suitable dog yet. All of my animals have come from rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha View Post
    Cowgirljenn - I love your story. They really do seem to pick their people. We have looked at shelters and in rescue and to our dismay haven't found a suitable dog yet. All of my animals have come from rescue.
    Thanks. If you ever met Trip (our GSD), you would wonder WHO would call him shy? He loves everyone - although I think if I were in danger, he wouldn't be quite so friendly. He can look very intimidating .... but he really does love people. I am SO glad we found him/he found us.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I thought that schutzhund was all about the bite work, too. But many clubs will allow members to train just in those areas that interest them, like obedience or tracking, and not work at all in the area of bite work.

I sure don't do bite work with my dog, but we love schutzhund style tracking (deep nose, dog never lifts head up as they move from step to step along the track).

Rally is a lot of fun. Agility is a blast. But you haven't lived until you HERD SHEEP!
    Sheilah

Pasha, my guys was bred from a mix of herding and show lines. He is bred angular/sloped. That was a worry for me looking at any that were bred to have the Show Slope...creates more health issues. But those 2 breeders mix the show and herding lines and although they mostly just show, their pups have gone on for working, herding, rescue, etc. Just great all around puppies.
    Plus both breeders are really anal about breeding OFA good or OFA excellent *only* dogs. Also they don;t have any dogs that have had Pannus (blindness issues) and very few with allergies. (also a concern with GSDs) My dog had allergies when he was younger, we had the full allergy tests done and he had seasonal (plant) and cat allergies. My dog was allergic to my cat, LOL! He went on allergy shots and that worked 100%. After a little less than 2 years on the shots, he was weaned off of them to see how his allergies were doing and he's never had an issue with allergies since. The allergy vet said many times dogs will grow out of them.

My guy would probably be great at herding, but since I have horses I don't encourage that. (one horse hates dogs anyway) The Piper Hill breeder raises all her pups alongside her own horses, so they're all pretty good around horses. My guy does have a strong chase instinct (hence his name Chase) but so far for his almost 7 years...he's had a 100% recall. He can take off after anything and I just have to say his name or the command "come" and he slams on the brakes and returns to my side.

He does have GSD OCD though. When he fixates on something it's not easy to get his attention off of it. But that's with his toys only. So he's a lot more toy trained than treat trained. He couldn't care less about chicken as a reward, but if it involves a ball I could probably teach him calculus. He also picks up after himself...if I say, "put your toys away" he walks around the house picking up all his toys and drops them in his toy basket. He'll also go get the mail, go find the other dog we're taking care of and bring/herd him home, catch the cat if she scoots out of the door, etc. He even pees and poops on command. VERY trainable.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

i have a gsd brillient dog, and i have had x breds of gsd would i get another one yes they are so good with kids can do anything and brill at agility etc

Misty- Can i have your dog please?? lol I know kids who won't even pick up their toys let alone a dog.

I would loooove a GSD. Had one in Mauritius ( well she came with the house ). Great dog. She was a long haired one which was a bit rough on her living on a tropical island but she managed.

I may have a chance at getting a puppy though have to ask boss first since i live on farm. But its a GSD x kelpie (australian working dog type). May make a new thread about that for opinions though.

P.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I have two German Shepherd Dogs and have been active in the breed's rescue for close to ten years now.

I do sheep herding, tracking (schutzhund style), some obedience and super basic agility with one of my guys. He is a rock star on sheep.

I can't help with breeder recommendations, since I am way the heck out in the Inland North-West. But there is an active GSD forum at www.germanshepherds.com and www.germanshepherdhome.net

There are some really great breeders out there. There are tons of really crappy breeders, and it is important to be very, very careful when puppy shopping. There are a lot of very nice dogs in rescue, too.
    Sheilah
    Both of my dear GSD dogs came from breeders when their breeding days were over.
    Beautiful, sweet natured, obedient and kind - really wonderful dogs.

Kayla had lived her life in a kennel, never been in the house .. but she adapted quickly and was a sweet,wonderful house/farm dog the rest of her life.
    Breezy, who came to us after Kayla died, had done obedience, and sheep herding competitions - which she won! Never seen a cat, never seen a horse! - but she too quickly learned what was what, and how to behave around them.
    Wonderful companions, loyal, and intelligent - I couldn't ask for a better dog.

Some young people not far from us emigrated from Romania and brought their dogs with them. They breed beautiful dogs, and are very involved with schutzhund training.
    I'll take a look for their website.
    But I do suggest looking at rescues, or letting your vet know. Sometimes people move, or just can't keep their dogs, for whatever reason.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I've been around German Shepherds for close to twenty-five years now. They are one of my favorite breeds: hair and all!

I only have experience with two types of German Shepherds though: West German show line and Czech Working line. I don't have any firsthand experience with American show lines nor with any blends.

Our current German Shepherd is a West German show line boy who came from a breeder and professional trainer in Tennessee. She only breeds once every 2-3 years. We started with herding with our GSD several months ago, and he has proven to be a natural. He is a little over two years old, a handsome and masculine boy, CGC, ATTS TT, HIT, TD, and heading towards RN. Although not as forward as his working line counterparts, he's neither nervy nor flighty as some West German show line dogs are.

My big boy, his "Ball-y," and a friend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...DSC_1177-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...9sar/snowg.jpg

In the past, I have been involved with other WG show line dogs (rescues) and Czech working line dogs (Sch III, IPO3, IWR3, Kkl 1 dogs.)

Some of the great things about the breed (as a whole : )

* Loyalty
    * Nobility
    * Their appearance is enough of a deterrent to "bad guys"
    * Highly trainable
    * More than willing to please their owners

* LOTS of hair! (be prepared for parasitic offsprings)
    * Can have health problems (ensure breeding stock is OFA H&E, cardiac, thyroid, DM, and CERF thrown in there)
    * NOT a dog for everybody, but due to the various "types" out there, you can find a type suitable to you
    * Be wary of breeders promoting blue, liver, Panda, or "rare" Shepherds especially when they say "RARE solid black," "RARE white," or "RARE sable." None of those three colors are "rare."

I don't know any NE breeders to recommend, but check the "health problems" above for things to look for.

ETA: S&R is not a "sport." It is a time-consuming, physical and emotional-demanding service. Tracking and/or Trailing would be the "sport" equivalent but not nearly as brutal nor expensive.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Here is my boy Max, I am in love with this dog. I also have another, Greta, but she is very camera shy.
    I have done obedience and some beginning Personal Protection work with Max, really fascinating stuff and he loves it. I don't have the time it looks like it takes to get serious, but I do love to watch the dogs work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36891_1315242436563_1095753309_30700954_637352_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	32624  
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

beautiful boy, Dee.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

LOVE our GSD pup! He just turned 14 weeks and is a bit over 30ish pounds now. He's the smartest pup I've ever been around in my life. He knows voice command and hand signals for : sit, lay down, shake, high five, speak, and stay. You can hold him with a hand signal, toss a treat on the floor in front of him and he will stay until you release him with another hand signal! We got him as a visual yard deterrant for when my daughter is home by herself ;-) He stalks things like a cat, so I have no fear that when strangers see a 100lb black GSD come around the corner of the house stalking them- they won't come much further lol.
    HIGHLY recommend the breed!!!!!!!!
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...z14weeks-1.jpg
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...izz12weeks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    beautiful boy, Dee.
    Thank you Fred!!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Here are two pictures of one of my German Shepherd Dogs. This is Tanner and he is all west German show lines. This is the dog I do herding and tracking with.
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/102_2813.jpg
    and
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/102_2818.jpg

Sheilah