The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Show shirts?

I've been out of the show ring for a few years and are just getting back into it. I heard that monogrammed collars are no longer the thing to do. Is this true? And if you don't monogram it, what do you put on it? Or just leave it plain?

Also, are white shirts really the hot thing right now? So boring... I was loving the blue/pink/purple that was in the last time I showed. Especially a white shirt with a plain collar - it just sounds so... well, plain! But if that's the thing to do, I suppose I can put up with it until my colors come back into style. And a white shirt doesn't look bad on anybody, so it's not the worst thing.

Forgot to add I mostly show hunters and eq, with a jumper class here and there.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

A lot of people are wearing the shirts with the wrap collars now, instead of shirts with the traditional chokers. (To make you feel better, they come in other colors in addition to white, LOL.) Most also have a really pretty contrasting fabric on the insides of the collars/cuffs.

It's possible to monogram them, but a bit tricky so a lot of people just leave them plain.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Essex-...t/5004053.aspx
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Try Hadfield's web site. They carry a full line of the wrap style shirts in beautiful COLORS and PATTERNS.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

STA - what website is it on? I found Hadfield's Saddlery but they don't look like they have any products online (and I'm sadly not in Florida to visit them in person). Thanks!

Thank you, OP for the post. I am in the market for a new show shirt for my daughter. I was going with a white - was looking at a Tailored Sportsman white with a silver thread running through it. But was wondering about those wrap collars....

So, if you get a wrapped collar do you wear a stock pin or nothing at all?

Are monogrammed collars "out" now?

Quote Originally Posted by jenct View Post
    So, if you get a wrapped collar do you wear a stock pin or nothing at all?
    You don't wear anything. And even if you have a shirt with a regular collar you shouldn't wear a stock pin...

I posted these on another post- love these show shirts, great price, amazing quality.

Cheval Fashions
    www.ChevalFashions.com

Please no stock pins unless for when wearing shads!

Quote Originally Posted by JustThatSimple View Post
    I posted these on another post- love these show shirts, great price, amazing quality.

Cheval Fashions
    www.ChevalFashions.com

Please no stock pins unless for when wearing shads!
    I agree about the plainness of it all - that's what prompted me to start the new show shirts.
    I was just in Wellington (and was in talking to the lady that does all the monogramming there) and some riders don't monogram at all anymore but lots were and you can actually monogram the snap collars pretty easily.
    Don't know if you get down to Santa Clarita very much but a retailer there, Valencia Saddlery, just got their first shipment of Cheval shirts.

Monogramming wrap collars ruins the look when your shirt is open (all the stitching in back shows) and looks a tad too traditional. So we started monogramming shirts like you see in this photo http://i48.tinypic.com/3495piq.jpg it shows just above the V when your jacket is on - and it looks so good - very Ralph Lauren-ish. So you could try this - a current take on monogramming!
    Last edited by Cheval Fashions; Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Update on monogramming

Quote Originally Posted by Cheval Fashions View Post
    I agree about the plainness of it all - that's what prompted me to start the new show shirts.
    I was just in Wellington (and was in talking to the lady that does all the monogramming there) and some riders don't monogram at all anymore but lots were and you can actually monogram the snap collars pretty easily.
    Don't know if you get down to Santa Clarita very much but a retailer there, Valencia Saddlery, just got their first shipment of Cheval shirts.
    Love the belt and would order it but you are out of "E"s

I haven't seen a monogrammed collar in Zones 1 or 2, except in short stirrup in years!

I love the Essex wrap color shirts and recently featured them on my blog
    www.horsecountrychic.blogspot.com. I really like these and will wear them also for casual with jeans.

www.horsecountrychic.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom64 View Post
    Love the belt and would order it but you are out of "E"s

I haven't seen a monogrammed collar in Zones 1 or 2, except in short stirrup in years!
    I know, sorry about that! The manufacturer went out of business after I bought the letters and E's were the first to go - I was so mad. People have been getting creative... using last names, nick names, barn names, one girl rides for her university so put that name on -
    I put "I LUV MY PONY" on my daughters belt! But it is frustrating as we really pride ourselves on customer service - apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by kahhull View Post
    STA - what website is it on? I found Hadfield's Saddlery but they don't look like they have any products online (and I'm sadly not in Florida to visit them in person). Thanks!
    I would call their 800 number and speak to them directly. I have always spoken to a LIVE, friendly person. The number is: 1-800-854-RIDE.
    They have a new mobile trailer, but they also have superior service when telephoned.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I find it interesting that in today's world where the jumper attire becomes more fashion interesting, the eq/hunter ring becomes more conservative. Attire is one way you can differientiate yourself from the competition. I am not promoting the hip hop bling, but something as subtle as color of coat can make you more memorable to a judge that just watched 30 white shirts, navy jackets and bay horses. I know that I will be crucified for this. Yes you first have to ride well and produce a good performance, but it doesn't hurt to make your visual memorable. It is a horse SHOW afterall, not a SAT test.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    I would call their 800 number and speak to them directly. I have always spoken to a LIVE, friendly person. The number is: 1-800-854-RIDE.
    They have a new mobile trailer, but they also have superior service when telephoned.
    I agree about Hadfield's excellent customer service.

And that new trailer- wow!

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    I find it interesting that in today's world where the jumper attire becomes more fashion interesting, the eq/hunter ring becomes more conservative. Attire is one way you can differientiate yourself from the competition. I am not promoting the hip hop bling, but something as subtle as color of coat can make you more memorable to a judge that just watched 30 white shirts, navy jackets and bay horses. I know that I will be crucified for this. Yes you first have to ride well and produce a good performance, but it doesn't hurt to make your visual memorable. It is a horse SHOW afterall, not a SAT test.
    Yes, it is a HORSE show.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Yes, it is a HORSE show.
    Think you missed the point. I agree, to a certain extent. When I watch shows with gigantic flat eq classes, it's hard to tell who is who and they all start to blend in together... and the judge does look at the rider (or at least I hope they do!). They all have the same breed of horse almost in all the same colors and all ride the same except for a few who might look prettier than the others (or worse). I think it would be a neat idea to try something different, but still a bit conservative.

On a side note, I find it ridiculous that these wrap collar show shirts are over 100 bucks for what probably costs 5 bucks to make. I know Victory Canter sells wrap collar show shirts for around 40-50 bucks (for ladies sizes, oh my god!) and maybe 30 for kids.

If you order a wrap collar shirt from Dover you can have the collar monogrammed for about $5 if you want. I don't think the fashion police will lock you up for monogramming a collar!

No, I did not miss the point... it's basically my way of saying that at the root of all this, it is still a horse show, not a people show, and I personally feel that we should should respect for that by remaining conservative in our turn-out, even in the eq ring.

That said, I have no issue with people expressing individuality in a conservative manner. I'm all for colored linings, awesome socks (I rock the awesome socks), and *gasp* colors other than navy and white in the eq ring. I just don't want to start seeing breed show sh*t in there!

(As a bit of an aside, I own a white shirt ONLY to wear for formal turnout... I hate white shirts)

And 100% agree on the exorbitant prices of the wrap collars. Really? You're charging me just as much - if not MORE - money for LESS fabric?!?

But the Cheval shirts ARE lovely... seriously WANT.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I'm so far out of the loop...haven't been in a rated show ring since my helmet had no harness. I'm sad about the no monograms. It used to be so fun picking out unique ones.