The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else eating Paleo?

I just got into this last month. Anyone else?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

never heard of it - do tell?
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

My stylist just started 2 weeks ago and was telling me all about it last night. I am super tempted to start myself!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

RxCate, you can try Googling it, but the first several Web sites are kind of gimmicky looking and sell DVDs and recipe books. Basically, it's eating more like a neanderthal and less like "modern man," since it wasn't until certain foods were added to our diet that we had problems with obesity, diabetes, etc etc.

Anything that can be gathered is good . NO GRAINS is the most important, no bread, cereal, rice, no wheat, corn, white potatoes, etc etc. No dairy. No sugar, no preservatives.

What you can eat, so it doesn't sound bad ( ), is meat, fish, all sorts of veggies, eggs, fulfill your sweet longings with fruit. Preferably organic or local. There is some compelling research behind this, and it takes into consideration high-glycemic foods and eliminating them, and other foods we eat that may not be good for us.

The food is really good, really healthy, no calorie counting even. I lost five pounds in just a little over a week, just by eliminating grains and dairy from my normal diet (cheese is apparently something of an inflammatory food).

Here's a site that is informative.

I haven't kicked sugar, but otherwise am completely Paleo and have been for a month. I don't have any random cravings for carbs the way I used to, digestion is better, I feel great and my work outs have improved.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Basically, it's eating more like a neanderthal and less like "modern man," since it wasn't until certain foods were added to our diet that we had problems with obesity, diabetes, etc etc.
    Places where the staple food is "modern" (ex rice) but not what's called the SAD (standard American diet) have much lower rates of both obesity and many "lifestyle" diseases (ex China-Cornell-Oxford project). This didn't start way back when agriculture was introduced to humanity; it started much more recently.

That said, I have a few friends on Paleo and they love it. One of them has gotten really annoying and keeps sending me links about how grains (it was gluten at first, now it's all grains) cause cancer and Alzheimer's and ADD and autism and every ill in the book, but there's no denying that they do feel better and have lost weight. But like anything, there's not going to be a one size fits all, nor is it "THE" one answer for all our current lifestyle-related problems.

Nope, but it's better than nothing. Check out this animated map that shows obesity trends in America. SCARY.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

Also, here's an awesome site I get my recipes from

www.thefoodee.co

I "switched" back in January, largely due to someone mentioning it on here on another off topic day. I'm not super strict about it, but have definitely revamped to exclude grains and processed foods. I'll have the occasional treat and still eat the things I really, really love (dairy. chocolate. hehehe). Not too religious about it, but have lost about 8 pounds (all I needed to) and have more energy in general and feel really good

Now to ramp up the exercise *grin* (HIIT and weights, basically)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Caffeinated, if there's a Crossfit near you, it's all HIIT and weights! That's how I got turned onto Paleo...everyone else who goes is eating that or Whole 9. I've lost eight pounds of fat in two months. Actual fat too, since I've gained lots of muscle.

I don't think there is, but I'll check.

My boyfriend is trying to get more into HIIT style exercise, or sports fitness training. He's getting an informal group together to do speed and agility drills as the weather gets better, so I will be doing some of that

My CANTER blog.

RxCate, you can try Googling it, but the first several Web sites are kind of gimmicky looking and sell DVDs and recipe books. Basically, it's eating more like a neanderthal and less like "modern man," since it wasn't until certain foods were added to our diet that we had problems with obesity, diabetes, etc etc.

Anything that can be gathered is good . NO GRAINS is the most important, no bread, cereal, rice, no wheat, corn, white potatoes, etc etc. No dairy. No sugar, no preservatives.
    Just to be clear here: humans did not evolve from neanderthals and neanderthals actually went extinct/were displaced/assimilated by Homo sapiens. And, humans have been eating grains, potatoes, starches etc. for well over 10 000 years so I think obesity is more to do with the quantities and concentrations of grains we eat than eating them at all.

Anyways, I'm glad it works for you and I don't have anything against the diet!

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    Just to be clear here: humans did not evolve from neanderthals and neanderthals actually went extinct/were displaced/assimilated by Homo sapiens.
    Just as a side note, I found this pretty interesting when I first started hearing about it last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/sc...anderthal.html

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Just as a side note, I found this pretty interesting when I first started hearing about it last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/sc...anderthal.html
    Definitely interesting! I am getting my degree in anthropology and actually just wrote a paper about this . My point was just that the general consensus in the anthropological community is that while there was some "DNA swapping" going on, we're still descended from Homo sapiens. Some people would like to call neanderthals Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, but I don't agree.

Now back to the topic at hand.... Sorry for the diversion!

Nope, but it's better than nothing. Check out this animated map that shows obesity trends in America. SCARY.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

Also, here's an awesome site I get my recipes from

www.thefoodee.co
    But the choice is not "Paleo vs nothing" or "Paleo vs SAD". It's "SAD vs any number of healthier alternatives, of which Paleo is just one that might appeal to some people".
    While converts to Paleo are often very hard-core about its benefits, it simply will not be an option for many people because of the sheer number of food items it restricts, including basic staple foods from many cultures (which, as I mentioned, are not necessarily having any obesity/diabetes etc problems using that staple food).

Huh, this seems really super interesting -

How do you fair when you go to a restaurant? I would feel like so obnoxious to the waitress if I was saying "please don't put this this & this in my entree"

Not that I go out that much anymore :-/ I guess I could just treat myself sensibly those times that I did go out.

I'd like to definitely look into this because I've always had a lot of digestive issues. Mostly with bloating & IBS (non-diabgnosed). They thought I had & tested me for Crohns when I was 18, but it came up clear. We've never figured out what the issue was, though I can say I've never been tested for Celiac's and that concerns me a bit.

I think the main issue I would have with this would be no dairy. I LOVE CHEESE. I'm a bit of a glutton about it LOL

Fiance and I eat very healthy, mostly raw or fresh veggies/fruits, etc. I've tried to go semi-gluten free and that makes me feel way better.

My wedding is on the 30th so if I could drop about 8-10lbs by then that'd be awesome though I really mainly just want to get my digestive issues sorted.

I go to the gym 5 nights a week doing the Les Mills things - Body Flow, Zumba, Spin & Body Pump.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Rx, cut the cheese! Ha, literally though; it made me gassy/bloaty and might do the same to you. All dairy did, even though I wasn't lactose intolerant or have anything medically that caused it. Legumes too.

Give it a shot for the month and see how you feel. If nothing else, you might lean up a little for the wedding (CONGRATS by the way!!).

Eating out is actually easier than you might think; I go out a couple times a month. Meats and veggies, nothing with pasta. If it comes with cheese, ask for none; most places can accommodate that easily. I find that Asian food is the easiest for eating out, just ask for no rice, but they generally have healthier options. Esp Thai food! Plus after the whole Adkins thing a few years ago, the bread-free requests are probably common enough to not raise any eyebrows. You aren't really eliminating that much from your diet.

Coanteen, sorry, I didn't mean Paleo vs nothing, I just meant eating Paleo is better than nothing at all, as in not changing diet at all. Sorry, I was unclear.

Yes, my husband and I started the Paleo Diet about a month ago. He's lost over 15 lbs and his blood pressure which was getting very high has dropped to low normal. I've lost about 10 lbs and feel so much more energized. I'm where I want to be now with my weight and I'm maintaining it easily without ever feeling hungry. I do "sin" occasionally with some chocolate or a gluten free grain treat but that's it....and I do mean once or twice a week. I've had no dairy either and I can't believe how much better and quieter my digestion has been. I suppose I may well be lactose intolerant as well as gluten intolerant. I was diagnosed with Celiac about 5 years ago.

This diet really works...and I've never felt hungry or deprived. I shop more often and stick to the veggie, fruit and meats (that which we don't raise ourselves). I have given up ALL processed sugar (except for my chocolate) and my only sweetener is a bit of raw honey. Compared to what I was consuming before, it's way way less.

What both my husband and I have noticed is remarkable is HOW we've lost weight. In past diets when I lost weight I'd lose it all over and my breasts, which are not big to start with , would virtually waste away. Now on Paleo, I've noticed they are the same as usual but my waist trimmed a lot. I'm wearing jeans I haven't gotten into for years. It's almost like you redistribute weight...and you don't lose muscle because you are eating plenty of protein and not starving yourself.

I recommend anyone trying to lose weight and feel better to at least read the book and try the diet for a few weeks. It was about 2 weeks when we both really started to notice major changes in our shapes. I felt much better from day one.

I just wish this research on what foods people really should be eating from an evolutionary perspective would be endorsed by our government. All this money and time growing grains that truly nourish people poorly when we could be using our land and resources to raise healthy meats (grass based) and vegetables. None of us would ever dream of feeding our horses as poorly as most of us feed ourselves.

Dr. Cordain, in the book, compares a Paleo diet day to a modern diet day for all major nutrients. It is shocking how poorly the typical American diet of a breakfast grain product like a bagel, lunch with grain like pizza and dinner with grain like pasta nourishes someone compared to replacing the refined grains with veggies and fruits. I think most Americans are very malnourished...yes we are a fat nation but our diets are very poor...and the health problems that we suffer from in such incredible quantities are a direct result of our poor diets.

I'll get off my soapbox but I can't tell you how life-changing this has been. Give it a try and I doubt you will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    . And, humans have been eating grains, potatoes, starches etc. for well over 10 000 years so I think obesity is more to do with the quantities and concentrations of grains we eat than eating them at all.
    Certainly some of it is the refinement of grains being so much better now than any time in our history has had something to do with the health problems we now have but there is not much evidence of grain consumption before 10,000 years ago when the agricultural revolution began. That was only 350 generations ago... a blink of an eye in an evolutionary scale for our race which has been around for hundreds of thousands of years.

As a Celiac sufferer and someone who is poorly adapted by my genetics to eat wheat and it's relatives, I can't tell you how many innocuous foods gluten is added to. People probably eat way more grains than they realize.

I am trying to convert I've lost about 8-10 lbs. in about a month. I had some Icecream the other night and I felt like crap the next day.
    I do CrossFit 3-4 days a week, which I LOVE!
    Going out to eat isn't that hard, you learn what you can order and what you can't.
    Lots of Salad, grilled lean meats, grilled veggies etc.

I like this website, not all are paleo. Primal is less strict paleo....
    http://www.primal-palate.com/
    ~ Unexpected ~

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Certainly some of it is the refinement of grains being so much better now than any time in our history has had something to do with the health problems we now have but there is not much evidence of grain consumption before 10,000 years ago when the agricultural revolution began. That was only 350 generations ago... a blink of an eye in an evolutionary scale for our race which has been around for hundreds of thousands of years.

As a Celiac sufferer and someone who is poorly adapted by my genetics to eat wheat and it's relatives, I can't tell you how many innocuous foods gluten is added to. People probably eat way more grains than they realize.
    Well, the foragers were eating and collecting grains before the Neolithic period started, as they didn't wake up one day and decide to take the seeds out of some plants they didn't eat, replant them and wait to see what happens .

But you're sure right about grains being in way more things than most people realize! And health did decline once people started farming, so maybe the best diet would be to think about what you might eat if you had to forage in the wild, and then eat that!

Again, the neolithic period is very recent compared to the Paleolithic and who knows how long that group of people in Asia/Middle East who first developed agriculture were collecting grains? Compared to hundreds of thousands of years prior to that without grains, it's still VERY recent in our evolution as a species.

The message Paleo/Dr. Cordain teaches about grains is that human beings are poorly adapted to eat/digest them and they are a poor source of nourishment also compared to the foods we evolved to eat. The reason that flour is "enriched" is because it is very deficient in important nutrients like B1 and Niacin and many of the nutrients in grains/legumes are blocked by antinutrients and phytates that are found in high levels in grains and legumes.

I really suggest you read the book even if you don't buy all his arguments. He has a lot of science behind his work and it's a fascinating read.