The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Advice? Trailer that accommodates BIG horse

My new trail buddy is an absolutely awesome, laid back and mellow Belgian/TB cross, 16.3 and about 1700 lbs give or take. I sold my 4-horse show rig a couple of years ago and am now thinking I need something much sturdier than my former (admittedly sturdy) trailer. He's not what I would call high headed but he is nearly 17 hh and pretty hefty. I don't really want a 5th wheel or gooseneck but if that's what it takes to safely haul a big horse, then that's what I'll do.

Note: there are likely very few people more anal or paranoid about safe hauling than I am.

Recommendations gladly accepted.

Big horse people, what do you haul your horses in that you like (or dislike)? Other pointers?
    Surrealism: once an art form. Now indistinguishable from daily life. (Forgot who said that.)

Before he retired, I hauled my Belgian draft horse in a Titan three horse slant. Gooseneck, 7'6" inside, steel stock trailer, and I removed one divider and gave him two spots to himself. It worked very well for us.

I really like that trailer, and I've taken all the dividers out to haul a mare and foal, and now that the big guy doesn't travel any more, I put them all back in and I use it like a regular three-horse slant.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Same thing I was going to suggest, giving him two stalls in a slant load. That's what I do for Patrick, who I refuse to stick as I was shopping for a 15.3-ish horse and I really don't want to know.

I will put him in the back (larger) stall for a short trip, for example if I'm taking a friend on a trail ride. But usually the divider is tied back or removed and he gets the whole thing.

If I were trailer shopping again it would be a 4 Star stock trailer. Possibly a 2-horse straight load, but definitely something you can remove all the insides from and just have a big box.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I hauled my large TB in a 2 horse stock combo--regular sized one. 7' tall and only 6'6" wide. It did not have a back tackroom so I could fit him in there with the divider open. He needed two slots.

Without getting a gooseneck opening up a 2 horse is really the only way to do it.

I have a 4 horse that I use as a 2 horse. 1 slot has a stallion wall and escape door so I used it for storage.
    2/3 slots the divider was taken out so it's really just 1 spot--for the big guy.
    4th slot is normal.
    then there is a back tack room.
    So basically it's a 2 horse.

your horse might fit better in a straight load. I think they have more room.
    http://www.horseclicks.com/trailers/3nmn2n/
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs up

If you can get hold of a Kieffer Genesis, it's all the trailer you'll ever need. Our two horse bumper pull is designed for people who have draft show horses. Our late 18h, 1800lb Dutch gelding thought he was in a condo, in that thing. We've had ours for ten years, and never had a problem with it. Highly, highly recommend.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I have very large horses and they fit just fine in a WB sized trailer.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Same thing I was going to suggest, giving him two stalls in a slant load. That's what I do for Patrick, who I refuse to stick as I was shopping for a 15.3-ish horse and I really don't want to know.
    wsmoak;
    why, you look fine for someone barely 3' tall....

Another vote for a stock trailer for OPs Big Guy. No need to mess around removing partitions.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have a standard sized Hawk 2-H BP. My 17.3h, 1650 lb draft cross was a tiny bit tight in it, but he rode comfortably, in one stall. Hawk also makes XL and XXL sizes of this trailer which should easily handle your fellow. Perfectly stable behind an F250.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I have a standard sized Hawk 2-H BP. My 17.3h, 1650 lb draft cross was a tiny bit tight in it, but he rode comfortably, in one stall. Hawk also makes XL and XXL sizes of this trailer which should easily handle your fellow. Perfectly stable behind an F250.
    And Hawk can custom make a trailer that is slightly longer in the horse area, horse head area, or both. While the width and height have maximums, the length can be adjusted to help with 'fit' issues. My 17H, 1300 lb WB fits in a Hawk XXL that I had made with 2 additional feet in the horse head area (because she does like things right in her face).

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I towed a 17.2H full belgian draft in an xh/xw 1974 Cotner 2 horse bumper pull with his yearling app/tb buddy. They both had plenty of room.
    I have had some pretty big horses in my Trail-et 2 horse BP w/dr. It is also an XH/XW. One mare was 16.3H 1,560 lbs and the gelding was 16.3H and 1,400 lbs. I towed both together with saddles on with no problem. I used a 2500 Chevy for that load.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Featherlite 2 horse bumper pull for warmbloods handles my 17.2 guy just fine. Love the dressing room with mirror and escape doors on both sides
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I have a warmblood sized straightload bumper pull Trailet with a dressing room and my very big barreled 17 hand warmblood fits in it great.

I stuffed my 17.2+hh 4y.o. gelding in my 'regular-sized' 2h straight-load Hawk trailer with his 16hh buddy for a four hour ride just the other day. He was a good sport and didn't seem uncomfortable, but I am going to have to get a bigger trailer. I'll be calling Risa for a new Hawk: http://happytrailstrailers.com/
    My old Hawk is 13 this year and it's been a fabulous trailer!!
    Y'all ain't right!

I just bought a new trailer to better suit my horses. They are all 17h+ TBs, WBs and Draft Xs. It HAD to be a straight load (the slants just aren't wide enough to give them enough length), at least 7'6" tall and more than 6' wide. After looking at many used Sundowners, Hawks, etc., I found the Eclipse trailers. They're a relatively new brand with all the bells and whistles of the "known" good brands, but for half the money. I bought a brand new trailer with a warranty for the same as I could have bought a 5-10 yr old used one.

Here's the trailer I bought and I LOVE IT!!
    http://www.eclipsehorsetrailers.com/...sing-room.html

oo
    Last edited by Old Fashioned; Aug. 2, 2011 at 07:26 AM.

THANKS to all with great suggestions and I'm going to look at them all before I decide whether to go with a custom job, old friend from years past does these, knows my finicking habits and strong desire for back-up "systems" as I travel alone a great deal. To those who had Trail-ets and loved 'em - meeee toooo -- that was the worst decision ever to sell my Trail-et show rig I LOVED that trailer, hauled it mostly with my 1-Ton Chev Dually but it even hauled well fully loaded with a 3/4 T Suburban (but those were smaller horses than the current Giant Economy Sized dude). The minute that Trail-et went down the driveway behind someone else's rig I knew it was a bad mistake, I cried all the way to the bank and home again, still have regrets to this day about that sale. I am going to check out the various excellent suggestions and go looking at them in person, not just over the net, I want to get an idea of what I think will maybe end up needing to get in and out of less-than-optimum spaces when horse camping.

Thanks again to all for generous advice and info. Much appreciated!
    Surrealism: once an art form. Now indistinguishable from daily life. (Forgot who said that.)

I haul bigguns too... a 15.3 Clyde-X and a 17.3 Percheron. ADORE my EquiBreeze, by EquiSpirit The owners originally worked & designed for Trail-Et & Hawk, so you get the best of best in it.

They'll custom design whatever you want, however you want it. Great folks to deal with.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Chocomare do you drive or ride (or both) the Perch? It's a challenge climbing up from the ground on my guy, but 17.3 yikes!!!

Ride! She's called the Equine Sofa cuz she's like riding a couch

My hubby built me a custom Mounting Platform

I dismount onto it as well, cuz the "down" is just too far away!

P.S. The EquiBreeze g/n model they show on their website is mine. I got the very first one!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Oh that's too funny - the sofa part. Mine too! Initially when I went to try out my guy who was consigned at my farrier's (lady farrier who does drafts, draft x, and mules which few farriers around here will have anything to do with) and from the looks of him thought oh no, this is going to be one rough ride, oh well suck it up and don't hurt anyone's feelings here....BUT amaaaaaazing soft, cadenced, sweet ride. Everything I had ever foolishly and wrongly believed about drafts/draft crosses went right out of my head in about ten minutes. Now the funny thing too is that he loves to jump but I won't do anything significant in that way (though I had jumpers too and loved it) that doesn't stop us from popping downed saplings/logs on the trail - but when we first started these little jumps he would buck a couple of times after hopping over, just from sheer joy - and even the bucks were soft and smooth! Think Flexsteel sofa, in motion!