The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default The Obligatory Who's Reading What Thread

OK, I'll start.

I just finished reading "Higher Stakes,*" by Emery Lee, and have been waiting for an Off Topic day to pimp it out to other COTHers.
    It is a fun, fast paced love story set agains the background of 18th century horse riding.

And the author clearly knows horses, and writes them very well. In one scene a handler goes up to the *shoulder* of a fractious horse, which to me is a detail that a non horseperson wouldn't know (and is in striking contrast to the idiots who made the Flicka movie who evidently assume that horse training is achieved by holding your hand out in the round pen and whispering the horse's name.)

But I think a lot of COTHers will really enjoy this book and I hope lots of you run out and get it.

*Sadly in a moment of utter fail I got the title wrong, it is actually Highest Stakes. Whoops.

For my more "serious" selection I recommend "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse" by Peter Matthiessen.
    It is really, really good.

OK, everyone, now it's your turn to spill!
    What are you reading?
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Apr. 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

I'm reading "Little Bee" by Chris Cleve, so far it's really good... quite short too, so I'll probably be done soon.

I'm working on Paper Towns by John Greene. I recently finished The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, which I can't recommend highly enough.

The Grass Crown Colleen McCullough

Not in the least bit horse related! Well, there are knights in Rome, but...

I just finished Denny Emerson's How Good Riders Get Good which I highly recommend to everyone.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I've discovered the 'cozy' mysteries of Melanie Jackson starring her meter-maid, naturally gifted, diminutive detective, Chloe Boston. I've downloaded the entire 7 book series onto my iPhone Kindle and am breezing through them. One of the things I like best is that the author doesn't end every chapter with a cliff-hanger sentence. I also download Jump by Jilly Cooper (Thanks Coreene!) but haven't started it yet.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I'm reading The Help. Only a few pages in, but loving it so far!

"Behind the Backlash" by Lori Peek. She's a professor at Colorado State University who studied Muslim Americans' experiences in the hostile, post-9/11 environment. I've only read the introduction so far, but it's very well-researched and and well-written. It definitely has a lot to reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoIsMyHorse View Post
    I'm reading The Help. Only a few pages in, but loving it so far!
    This is an amazing book - can't wait for the movie!

Right now, our little bookclub is reading "Under The Banner of Heaven" - it's about Mormanism (one of the girls is an excommunicated mormon) - it's about the Elizabeth Smart case and poligyamy and what goes on in Morman society. It's really intense and interesting.

A good beach read or just fun read is "Bitter is the New Black" it's a memoir and it's really really hysterically funny
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Anyone else fail to finish Eat Pray Love?
    I enjoyed the first 2 sections, but the last section lost me pretty fast.
    Just.Cannot.Read those last 72 pages...

In rebellion, I am rereading The Secret Life of Bees. For the 3rd time.

RxCate: I "read" Under the Banner as a book on tape. It was pretty chilling.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Just started Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and loving it!

(and I don't care that it makes me a total nerd!)
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Anyone else fail to finish Eat Pray Love?
    I enjoyed the first 2 sections, but the last section lost me pretty fast.
    Just.Cannot.Read those last 72 pages...

RxCate: I "read" Under the Banner as a book on tape. It was pretty chilling.
    So far I'm in a "WTF!" mode - its' crazy the stuff they do/get away with.

And yeah, couldn't even get through the first chapter of EPL - movie was cute, but book was so depressing.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Smile

I <3 these threads.

Just started The Happiness Project: Or, why I spent a year trying to sing in the morning, clean my closets, fight right, read Artistotle, and generally have more fun by Gretchen Rubin

LOVE it so far.

Stranded in Paradise and Leaving Unknown are next on the list.

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. A book about how the planet would respond if we humans suddenly died out. Very interesting - lots of history of the earth in there, discussion about how things are today and where we may be headed, etc.

After this, I'll probably read some light and fluffy book...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I'm reading THE DISTANT HOURS by Kate Morton and it is the slowest, most boring book I've read in a long time.

I loved the author's first two books: THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON and THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN, but in this one, I think the author has fallen so in love with her own prose that she's forgotten you need to have a story too.

Big yawn. The only reason I'm finishing it is because I paid hardcover price for it and I feel obliged.

If I was smarter, I'd just toss it because really, life's too short for this.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    The Grass Crown Colleen McCullough

Not in the least bit horse related! Well, there are knights in Rome, but...
    One of my favorite series! Did you start with The First Man in Rome?

Just finished Freedom by J.Franzen, loved it. Started Fall of Giants by K. Follet and was enjoying it, but have had to put it down until I have a little more time.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I'm working on Paper Towns by John Greene. I recently finished The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, which I can't recommend highly enough.
    I thought the Hunger Games Trilogy were some of the best books that I've read in a long time- I'm kinda surprised that they are marketed as teen fiction.

I just finished Fall of Giants- which was really good and the Good Daughters- good but predictable.

I have just started the last of Vampire Diaries series and the Land of Painted Caves, the last of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I am very sad that I'm reading the last of both of these
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Another recommendation for The Hunger Games trilogy here. I thought the first one, The Hunger Games, was one of the most original and enjoyable books I'd ever read.

Kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I was sucked into The Hunger Games... Reading Mockingjay now. Then I have A Visit From The Goon Squad waiting for me at the library and have a bunch of other random books on hold.

[quote=hey101;5521201]One of my favorite series! Did you start with The First Man in Rome? [\quote]

Yes, I did.

DH has a degree in Roman history & I'm probably fulfilling a dream by finally consenting to read something about it!

He's got the 3rd one also, so that'll be next.

I'm not usually a huge fiction reader unless its (a) historical fiction (b) a thriller or procedural or (c) something I had to read as a literature major.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I seem to have gone on a lite-reading binge. Since last OT day:

Silks by Dick Francis & Felix Francis. I had held off this one before because the protagonist is a barrister, but it was standard Francis fare. I did get a bit frustrated because the character knew the twist long before I was allowed to!

The Third Twin by Ken Follett. It's dated but a quick romp.

Currently reading Kolymski Heights by Lionel Davidson as recommended by a fellow COTHer. Again, a bit dated but so far good. It's a CIA/spy/conspiracy novel (at least, so far...).
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng