The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dandruff on Horses tail bone.. what to use?

I groom my horse immpectably and daily however, tail dandruff showed up!

Noticed he has dandruff mostly at the end of his tail bone. I thought about washing and conditioning it but I think the soap would just dry it out more?

Can I use baby oil safely to moisten his tail bone? Suggestions? I feel like a loser Mother not noticing sooner ...

Ive never tried it on a horse, but sometimes my scalp gets a bit dry and I use Neutrogena T Gel shampoo. It's never dried out my scalp at all, and I always notice a difference after the first use!

During my time in pony club we used to use generic mouth wash. I would buy the unflavored and colorless kind, throw it in a spray bottle and spray it on as long as there were no tick bites or open cuts. We would rub that and mtg into the tail and mane every day for a few weeks before rallies. Worked wonders

1 members found this post helpful.

Great suggestion Alicat! If human hair feels better after first use it may work for him. Worth a shot. Thanks!

I had to search for the dandruff. He does not rub his tail, I always clean his "cheeks and butt" too!

Quote Originally Posted by smilesthepony View Post
    During my time in pony club we used to use generic mouth wash. I would buy the unflavored and colorless kind, throw it in a spray bottle and spray it on as long as there were no tick bites or open cuts. We would rub that and mtg into the tail and mane every day for a few weeks before rallies. Worked wonders
    Did the horse show any signs of the mouthwash burning/uncomfortable? I ask because my gums sizzle after I use it

Loch Ness Guest

I second Listerine (mouth wash) used it before too, works great. Then a good conditioner.

ETA: You can cut the mouthwash with a little water to keep the sting away.
    Last edited by Loch Ness; Apr. 1, 2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: extra info

Listerine. Has gotten many a pony clubber through Horse Management judging at Rally. And once they are Cs those judges pick through with a fine tooth comb.

All of mine loved tail cleaning time, maybe it felt like linament. It was a very common practice, every horse going to rallies would have a nice fresh smell when they would walk by I would mtg first and leave that in for a day, then mouthwash. The mtg would loosen up the dead skin, then the mouthwash would make it disappear. Ps make sure to wash the mouthwash off after a few minute soak, I hardly ever left mine in

Loch Ness Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Listerine. Has gotten many a pony clubber through Horse Management judging at Rally. And once they are Cs those judges pick through with a fine tooth comb.
    Mine was from a BIG into QH haltering, showmanship person. Listerine in a spray bottle was staple in his barn

Tail and butt shampoo maybe?

I mean, head&shoulders....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I use a 50/50 mix of listerine and baby oil, and then brush out the flakes. Works like a charm.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mane and Tail makes a dandruff shampoo. I've used it for dandruffy tails and it works well.

I use TMG. I am not sure if you can get it in your area but really, this stuff works.

I use it on any sort of skin irritation or dandruff, it works great on rain rot also.

It is an oil sulfer mix so also has antibacterial properties.

Listerine has always worked for me on tails. My horses don't seem to mind it at all.

Hey, bumping this thread to ask a couple questions.
    My boy has a pretty thick mane and at first I thought the scabs were due to bites from squabbling with a former paddock mate. Then I did a thorough search and found not just flaky skin, but actually huge dark scabs all over the base of his mane. It also didn't occur to me until Z ended scrapping his forehead and skin trying to scratch between two metal bars.

Do you think at this point Listerine might cause some irritation or discomfort to the horse? Should i risk it or get some dandruff shampoo an conditioner to b on the safe side?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Hey, bumping this thread to ask a couple questions.
    My boy has a pretty thick mane and at first I thought the scabs were due to bites from squabbling with a former paddock mate. Then I did a thorough search and found not just flaky skin, but actually huge dark scabs all over the base of his mane. It also didn't occur to me until Z ended scrapping his forehead and skin trying to scratch between two metal bars.

Do you think at this point Listerine might cause some irritation or discomfort to the horse? Should i risk it or get some dandruff shampoo an conditioner to b on the safe side?
    That sounds like ticks to me! I'd wash gently and make sure the horse is regularly sprayed with a fly spray that kills ticks as well. I've found Flysect Super 7 to be fantastic in that regard. http://www.marystack.com/flysect-sup...FYFxQgodP3kAZg

No Listerine on open sores, ouch!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Looks like we're resurrecting an old thread, but hey... I will wash with Eqyss Microtek shampoo, then follow up using Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil and MTG on alternating days. I'm allergic to Listerine, so I stay away from it.

MyssMyst, what is the tanning oil for, please?

dandruff is actually caused by too much oil, not dry skin. so adding oil will likely just make it worse. listerine works, as does any human dandruff shampoo.

Dandruff should do the trick. Used that in Pony Club cause we couldn't have any dandruff at inspection!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"