The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default baby pads

ok. question.

are baby pads smaller (L x W)? or just thinner?

I love using the really thin pads in our hot/muggy GA summer because I also have a Mattes half-pad. Less insulation on all that hair. I usually just go buy them and don't read labels, so ordering online, is a baby pad the thin one? or is a baby pad a pony-size pad? because that wouldn't work on my 17h man...
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

it depends on the baby pad - some are smaller and thinner. I usually do pay attention to the dimensions because I hate a pad that doesn't cover the back part of my beval pad or fleece half pad.

They are not the cheapest things out there, but fleeceworks baby pads are longer along the back, have a seam on the back that makes them more fitted and have the billet straps to keep them from slipping and sliding around too much.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I've been having a saddlepad... issue. I have noticed when I buy the plain pads, that my jumping saddle is over the back edge of the pad, and about 3 inches of the thinline pad. I have measured, and found that a lot of pads are about 19- 20 inches along the back, and my saddle is a 17 inch - one is a stuebben one is a black country. SO I know my butt is, well larger than when I was 20, but really?

I dug out some old Wilikers and ROma pads, an dthey are all between 22-24 inches along the back. I called around and other than those brands, 19-20 is the norm?

Why is that? And am I the only one with this issue? I checked, and I am not pulling the pad too far forward, or too much into the middle when I tack up. It seems that saddle pads are shorter now?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

The Toklat and Union Hill/Lettia pads work well for me with 17 and 18 inch saddles. I hate short pads. That must feel like the seam on cheap socks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau

Exactly! I thought it was me. I looked at pictures of other people - they all seem to fit pad to saddle, and I thought - I can't be the only one. I feel like I have been in the saddlepad twilight zone for the last week.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

True, and so frustrating. I have the medium Thinline Trifecta pad with a 17" saddle, and the Thinline hangs over the back of ALL my square pads. I see this in alot of photos, so we are not the only ones.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I always have problems with the drop on my saddle pad. I really hate when websites don't put the saddle pad dimensions. I can get away with some AP pads for my AP saddle but frequently have to get dressage pads but then they are a little too big.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I love the Fleeceworks baby pads, they have plenty of room for my 17 1/2" saddles and they hold up better than the others. Some of the other pads are too small and not made well

Default DITTO!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    True, and so frustrating. I have the medium Thinline Trifecta pad with a 17" saddle, and the Thinline hangs over the back of ALL my square pads. I see this in alot of photos, so we are not the only ones.
    This is my EXACT situation, Thinline Trifecta and 17" Prestige Nona Garson. I have found exactly 2 types of pads that are large enough: Poly Pads, and Roma Ecole pad. I tend to save the Poly pads for "special" occasions, so I use the Ecoles more for every day or in warmer weather. Really like their wicking too!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

I second the fleeceworks baby pads. I ordered five beval baby pads and was unhappy with them. They're definitely big enough, but they're not shaped at all for withers so they're very awkward, tend to wrinkle towards the back and not lay flat. I got them during their sale, so not a huge waste of money. I am considering having them cut and stitched for wither relief.

try these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...1-1923/cn/102/ lightweight but have girth loops

Yes, baby pads are usually just thinner than normal schooling square pads.

As far as the saddle pad length, I have the same issue, especially with a half pad, there is always 2'' hanging over the saddle pad. Dover makes extra long pads that they say are designed for 18''+ saddles (mine is only a 17'' but I still have issues!) that I'm going to try. Might be worth looking into for you guys too!
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...-19724/cn/102/
    Last edited by Reagan; Apr. 2, 2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by sarah88 View Post
    try these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...1-1923/cn/102/ lightweight but have girth loops
    perfect... thank you!!!
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart