The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long to see results with Ulcergard??

I have been trying to rule out some issues I have been having with my mare... She has become a little girthy and also when leg pressure is applied she has become crabby under saddle... Its normally when you first ask for the trot and canter (its kind of resistant ears back tail swish even a little haunches in) - I have had the vet out to do a full exam - he really couldn't see much but decided to inject her stifles because she didnt look as fluid behind as she normally goes and flex very slightly positive on the left hind... She had her normal maintenance hock injections in Nov... After the stifle injections didnt cure the problem I had the chiro out - he didnt see anything very alarming but just in case I am having another adjustment done on next Thurs; 3 weeks from the last... She gets 1x per month massages - nothing alarming showing up on those! Before I even check physical I had my saddle fitter out and she said the saddle was ok but would like to see her in a little wider tree side because her dressage training really filled out her topline - So I sold my M tree and she gave me a MW tree to ride in until my new saddle is sent from the factory in June... So now I am trying Ulcergard - I opted not to scoop and put the money towards the meds as there is no harm done in giving the meds besides to my pocket book!! I started on Monday - When do you think if ulcer are the case I will start to see a improvement?? Do you have to wait till they are 100% cured before you see the full improvement??

Also she is on regumate so I dont believe its a girl issue...

I am just super bummed... I just wish I could figure out what the cause of this is or could it just be winter blues??? If anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them - I did talk about Lyme but my vet really blew that idea off not that he wouldnt pull the blood test if I asked he just told me he thought it would be wasting my money...

Thank you in advance...

**bump**

I would like to know the answer to this too. Good luck with your mare as well!!

are you giving her a full tube (treatment dose) or 1/4 dose (prevention dose)? If you suspect she has ulcers you should be giving her a full tube. My horse had a very dramatic turnaround with 24 hours of the first dose, but I know other who have taken a few days to a week.

I am giving her a full tube once a day.

A week max at the treatment dosage. Sometimes as early as one or two doses.

If you don't see any difference in the next day or two, then it's probably not ulcers. Any chance that she might just be ring sour? Good for you for ruling out lameness, saddlefit, etc. It does sound like she is trying to tell you something.

I thought ring sour too as a possiblity but she is eager to come out and work always... But it has been a long winter so its possible... Soon enough hopefully we will be able to go on hacks...

When my colt had ulcer, one or two full doses showed improvement. There is one type of ulcer (can't remember what it is) that ulcerguard can't help though so if your horse does have ulcer and ulcerguard is not doing anything, you might need to consult your vet again....

When mine went completely off his feed, he was eating fairly well and much improved after 48 hours (about 2 full doses). Within a week he was eating all of his food with zest, and really fast. (he always ate slow even months before the ulcers "came out"...this was a big change for him)

If you are doing a full tube and not seeing results in a few days, I would also say it's not ulcers. I hope you get an answer soon!