The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: HDR 5-point breastplate

I have sort of been coveting a new breastplate for a while, and while I like the 5-point breastplates, I just can't seem to justify the price of most that I have seen.

Someone on another thread linked to the HDR version, which is much more reasonably priced:
    http://www.horseloverz.com/1/hdr_pro..._112154579.php

It looks very nice from the photo. Does anyone have one? How is the quality of the leather? Does it hold up to regular use?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. They look really nice too! My first saddle was an HDR and I had it for 5+ years and then I sold it to the little girl who is leasing my pony. It is a great price and looks like a dark brown

I have an HDR bridle and the leather is lovely. I don't know if that helps you any

I think Legacy Tack has that one too.. and you can get a discount if you use Kaboom! Right?!?

I'm debating buying that one too... but I need it in oversize...

FLeck, the link I posted above from horseloverz.com has an oversize listed (but no horse size). A few buck more than at Legacy (and no kaboom discount) though.

I've seen it. Leather is ok, not great. It would need to be cared for well. But the overall breastplate seemed to be very well constructed. They just came out so I don't think anyone knows how well they hold up.

it only drives me a little crazy that the photo is upside down.
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

1 members found this post helpful.

Some of my favorite stirrup leathers in the world are HDR. Soft and supple without any care at all. Not sure how that translates to the breastplate but my experience with their leather has been positive.

FYI, if you end up ordering anything from Horseloverz, you can use the coupon code 5SS2011C and get $5 off your order

Though I just looked up the 5-point breastplate and it appears they only have it in Cob or Oversize now... which would work for Fleck I guess!

FWIW, my student ordered an HDR 5-point in Cob for her Welsh/TB mare, who is a slim 15 hands. It was WAY too small for her - we were both shocked! She has ordered the Full size, but haven't gotten it yet. She was impressed with the quality when she had the Cob and is selling her Cob cheap (tags still on). PM me if you want details.

I picked up one for my TB at Rolex. Wonderful value for the price for sure! Looks like a much higher priced piece than it is. Leather is good quality and everything seems to be made well.
    On the sizing though, I'm not sure if it's a quality control thing or what. My mare is 16.2hh+, about 1100lbs, fairly petite but certainly not small. They only had a cob sized in stock which I bought in hopes it would fit. It fits her PERFECTLY. She's on the biggest holes all around, but it works great and should stretch a little. So I don't know if the sizing is wonky as I would imagine my horse is quite a bit bigger than *Trinity*'s student's horse, but the cob fit mine just fine.
    I paid more for one from Hilasson that was a PIECE OF JUNK, had to 12" worth of strapping removed at the shoe shop to fit even the biggest WB (1500lb Swede), and is flaking off the finish. Nasty.

That is very odd, because I looked at buying a COB sized one from someone online for my 15.1 hand arab cross. They told me it would be more suitable for a large pony having bought it for a small horse, and I ended up passing on it.

Bumping this back up. Does anyone have any additional info on sizing or how they hold up? The horse I'm looking at it for is 17H but not broad. He takes horse size in bridles and halters, but I've never gotten him a breastplate. Suggestions on sizing? Thanks!

I have one - I've had it for over 6 months now, and it still looks like new. I don't use it every day, but I did use it about twice a week during a hot, sticky NC summer and again, it still looks like new. I wipe all my tack off with a damp cloth/sponge after riding and put a light conditioner on when it looks dry (about once a week in the summer), and deep condition it about once a month.

My gelding is 16.1ish, with a loooong shoulder. He is in the horse size, and everything fits well except for the strap that goes between the front legs and attaches to the girth. It's uber-long, so I had my saddler chop it off and now it fits fine. I'd say that based on mine, they tend to run a little large, but this is a sample size of 1.

The leather is quite nice - it's soft and supple straight out of the "box", and it's nicely padded. The sheepskin disk is soft and of good quality, and I like the brown elastic. Love mine, and well worth the $90 I spent for it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

They have a horse sized one here (my favorite, their customer service is awesome and shipping is free and fast)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/product...=J0-H7&cn=2407

It's backordered, but it's cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

I have an HDR bridle and it's held up very well, I would buy the breastplate.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    They have a horse sized one here (my favorite, their customer service is awesome and shipping is free and fast)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/product...=J0-H7&cn=2407

It's backordered, but it's cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

I have an HDR bridle and it's held up very well, I would buy the breastplate.
    My mother bought me the HDR in horse size from here for Christmas (we love Jeffers and have also had good experiences with the shipping and customer service, just FYI). I think she even got it around Thanksgiving when they had a big discount sale. I haven't tried it on my horse yet, since it is winter and we aren't doing much jumping, but it looks like it is great quality for the money! I'm excited to give it a try in the Spring
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I have one and have been pleasantly surprised with it! IMO HDR products are kind of a crapshoot--some are very nice for the price and others, not so much. This is one of the nicer ones. The leather is supple right out of the box, the fleece is nice and fluffy, and it's easy to adjust. It fits my 16.3 TB really well and he's about 90% shoulder. I want to say everything's adjusted more or less in the middle. I have the horse size.

I got this from Jeffers--love them!

I got one for Christmas for my OTTB and the horse size was too small. It sat too high up on his throat, so I figured it would restrict his breathing when galloping and jumping. There was just no way to lower it.

I'm going to splurge and get the Nunn Finer and hope it fits better.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma City View Post
    Bumping this back up. Does anyone have any additional info on sizing or how they hold up? The horse I'm looking at it for is 17H but not broad. He takes horse size in bridles and halters, but I've never gotten him a breastplate. Suggestions on sizing? Thanks!

I just bought a 17hh as well. He is quite broad though and takes oversize for pretty much everything. Did you end up getting one if so what size? Have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

I've got one and I really like it... I got it for my pretty big TB gelding (big shoulders), and it fits him nicely but also fits my friend's large pony jumper (although he has large shoulders as well). It's super adjustable and has held up great.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.