The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who has ridden with Ken Borden Jr?

I'm going to my 2nd Ken clinic on the 4th. He was so informative and awesome to ride with. It was definitely worth the amount for a private hour. I'm going to try to ride every time he clinics at the barn I board at, and so far he seems to come frequently. Which is fabulous.

I'm just interested what others opinions are.

OH! I also wanted to throw out how much I loved that when my horse started to do a lot of bucking and I told Ken I was getting nervous, he made me feel so good about myself and made me actually believe I could do it! Just nice personalization I guess!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

Ken is a really great guy and a nice rider. As I live in Houston, I have only seen him ride (at the stallion testings), not teach, but I expect he's pretty good at it.

Have fun!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have never seen him teaching but I love his riding and his horses.

I have not ridden with him, but I know someone who boards with him and several people that have ridden-done clinics with/shown under and I have never heard anything but very positive reviews.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

I rode my thorougbred with him a few years ago in a clinic and really enjoyed my lesson. My favorite thing about Ken's clinics is that he always put on his helmet when he got on someone's horse and never got into the do it now fight on a new horse. He wasn't afraid to show the horse does not look perfect just because the trainer gets on but he was careful to work with the horses and help all riders work through different exercises. He concentrates on forward and keeping good tempo through all movements. Loved that all horses started at the bottom of the training pyramid.

I have also shown under him at schooling shows and he was a fair, friendly, and positive judge. Even after my young OTTB tried to set some speed (and sometimes sideways) records :-)

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

SunsAFire do you board at Karen's? Do we know each other? I have Nila and Charlie. I'll be riding Nila with him Monday evening, looking forward to it!

I have rode dressage tests in front of Ken and he is one of the best judges I've had. Other feedback from those who had rode with him have nothing but positive things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom's Rider View Post
    SunsAFire do you board at Karen's? Do we know each other? I have Nila and Charlie. I'll be riding Nila with him Monday evening, looking forward to it!
    Omg Nora, YES! I'm nervous he isn't going to take us seriously because I was off of Mouse for roughly a month, but you gotta start up again somewhere! What's your ride-time?
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

I rode with him once for about 30 minutes. He was great, I would highly recommend him, and I would clinic with him in a heartbeat! He is fairly close to where I am at, and maybe I will have to trailer over his way as I was that impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    I have rode dressage tests in front of Ken and he is one of the best judges I've had. Other feedback from those who had rode with him have nothing but positive things to say.

He was the judge at my very first dressage show (how lucky for me!) and I couldn't agree more.