The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have You Jumped With Your Horse Over the Invisible Fence?

I've done it. With a 17.2 hand Oldenburg. Had a bit of a groin pull afterward. Here's an example of how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998oZvL-jy8
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    I've done it. With a 17.2 hand Oldenburg. Had a bit of a groin pull afterward. Here's an example of how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998oZvL-jy8

Ouch....used to have a horse that would do the 3 x 20 foot leap across a 6 inch wide irrigation ditch but wade in to his chest in a river or lake. Lots of fun in western saddle!
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Ouch and then some!

Ow! The rider handled that landing much better than I could have. When my pony was coming back from an injury and not yet allowed to jump, I tried to trot her over a flat pole laid between standards....she decided on her own that it was a jump & flew right over it. As far as she was concerned, rehab was over.

Ow. By which I mean his mouth. Rider just slammed back into it. No wonder he took off.

I've tried to MAKE Lucky jump the invisible fence, but he's not very motivated when he can see the actual pole right in front of him.

Oh yes. Once my older TB, after already doing trot poles a few times around, decided that they were jumps meant to be bounced. Straight up and straight down. I swear he's part jackrabbit at times.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

My horse did that several times jumping sun beams in the arena. She was kind enough not to deposit me
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

RTR - glad to hear that I don't have the only Tigger TB around! Mine bounces too.

Is that horse that long backed or is it the angle?
    She forgot to grab mane!

My mare once took a TINY little crossrail like was a Grand Prix oxer. That was a surpize

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I have one that does this over poles all the time (at least once per ride over poles). Thus we are still working on poles at the age of 9, this decision is 1/2 his (still jumping like this over poles), and 1/2 mine (I can barely stay on everytimes he does this).

Nothing like having the "boing" ride unexpected. Good she had a helmet on.

When I was a kid I rode an Arab who would do this over anything on the ground, only when I wasn't paying attention (I think he did it on purpose). Made trail riding, shadows, and painted lines on the road interesting.

bwahaha.. btdt got the tee shirt. lol
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I was riding my filly in the indoor at my old barn and she kept trying to jump the crack of light on the ground created by the opening between the door and the wall itself. It was so funny, but it took us a bit to figure out what the issue was as there always seemed to be boogey men at that end of the arena.

My 3 year old (at the time) Irish Draught did that over a ditch on a trail ride. I DID grab mane and thought I was prepared, but he jumped me right out of the tack and I rolled off over his shoulder. Saw him go over me and luckily miss me with those big hind feet. He walked up the trail looking around as if to say "where is that woman? I know I left her somewhere around here.." i called his name and he slowly turned around and did the elephant walk (slow, swiingy with nose almost to the ground) back over to where I sat and gave me a shove with his nose as if to say "THERE you are, you silly woman!". I was so glad I had my helmet on as I hit my head pretty hard on a rock when I landed (a flat rock that was level with the ground and hard to see). My green boy let me hop on a big log and get back on to finish the ride - he is a keeper and oh so sweet!

Ozzy looks like a hoot - I watched a bunch of your videos. I had a similar start with my boy - bought him as a weanling - and I love having such a great relationship. Ozzy is lovely - enjoy and thanks for sharing your journey!

I think my favorite "invisible fence" ride was actually on Hank, an old seasoned campaigner. We were riding in a clinic where we were doing flatwork and then over fences work, and Hank was certain the the over fences class should come before the flat class. So I was fighting to keep him on the rail as he kept trying to drift towards the jumps. We mostly kept it together at the trot, the walk, and then the canter, but when they called for us to return to the trot after the canter, Hank was sure we had no idea what the hell we were doing, and he began to jump. Randomly, through the air, not over fences. Because don't you morons know that first we jump, and then we hack?
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Pffft, I think blaming the rider for hitting the horse in the face is a bit much. Unless she's ridden him over poles before she couldn't expect him to do that and she did a darn good job of a 2 point once she realized it.

I also like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnBNi...eature=related

and this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NZ&h...&v=WUTJ7WB8-Jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o19Y...eature=related

My first reaction was Poor horse! In that video and the one with the cute little buckskin. Both horses are just doing what is asked of them (albeit exuberantly) and WHAM! the rider punishes them.

And yes I've been there too, mostly with my green OTTB who used to jump EVERYTHING like that. I never fell off, but she gave me a velcro seat for sure, and taught me to not.touch.her mouth over the jump or beware on landing! lol.

Years ago I was catapulted in the air while jumping a green horse over a little X, not expecting a 4' jumping effort. Totally my fault for not expecting it! I felt so bad, because the horse had never had anyone fall off of him and was visibly upset. lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!