The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Who has a Morgan?

I've always had an interest in the breed and was just curious who out there has one and what do you do with it?

We've got one at our barn and he's always been one of my favorites. In the 15 years I've known him he's never been sick or lame. He has amazing feet, he's sturdy and solid. He has no spook, no vices, he's always happy to go to work. I've known a few that were a bit hotter than him but I think they were more the show type?

I'm not in the market but it is always fun to daydream and plan for someday!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I don't have one, but I've always wanted one. I want a saddleseat Morgan - when I was a teenager, I rode and worked at a barn near Kansas City that had a lot of Morgans. I loved them - such nice horses...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I have 2, one is purebred Lippitt and the other is a little more modern breeding (near as I can tell).

Remy, the Lippitt, does everything. He's 9 this year - rides english, western, jumps a little, drives and is a super trail horse. There isn't anything I've asked of him that he hasn't tried his heart out. He may not be perfect, but close enough for me.

My four year old has been going under saddle for a year(ish). I'm waiting to see where he wants to go, but my guess is that he'll be pretty much like Remy and try anything.

I highly recommend the breed, they are awesome horses. I don't think I'd ever have anything else again. :-)

I do, well he is my moms ride now. He was my first horse and I pretty much owe him everything for teaching me to ride. We have owned him for 19 years. He is 27 now. Super gorgeous liver chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. Wonderful personality and definitely a horse we could never sell.

When we bought him he was doing nothing but sitting in a pasture in a backyard. We were told he was "bomb proof" and was a past police mount and they could shoot a gun through his ears. lol. I don't really think that is true but who knows. He is definitely not bomb proof but maybe he just got some spunk in him when we bought him.

I rode him western at first and did a couple shows. I then switched over to riding english because he was much more suited for that. I wanted to start jumping so my parents bought me a TB. We never thought the Morgan could jump, but we were wrong because he did everything my TB did. There were a couple times right before a show where TB would come up lame and I rode the Morgan instead. We got a couple championships. He definitely is a horse that gives it his all. In his older teen years I stopped jumping him and my mom started riding him. He became a trail pony. He has done a couple parades with my mom too.

Our Morgan has been very healthy for the most part but about 5 years ago he was diagnosed with cushings disease and about 2 years ago ringbone. He is doing fine with both as long as he is on treatment. He went on a pretty big trail ride today with my horse and I. My WB couldn't keep up!
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Smile me too

I have a Morgan mare. While my first love has always been TB's, she really comes in a very close second. She is about 75% foundation and I think looks very old style. Her sire was a driving horse so she has a high stepping pile driving trot when she wants to do it her way, which is a lot of the time!
    She loves to work, just not too many arena circles.. the most amazing trail horse, she feels like she goes into 4x4 mode and will go up, over, through anything and want more. She leads going out on trail and no one can keep up, and dawdles on her way home as if to say "do we have to go home"?

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...ses/shelby.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/.../shelby061.jpg
    and just for fun.. being stubborn
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/.../shelby015.jpg

We've got 'em! Can't say enough wonderful things about them-- hearty, sturdy, fierce, fearless, air-ferns, family-friendly, loyal, intelligent, and tireless. Amazing, amazing creatures.

If you're a mellow, easy-going QH kind of person, they surely come across as "fire-breathing dragons," and they absolutely will not suffer fools for one moment, so they're not for everyone. No easy passes with a Morgan.

But, damn, if you want to ride and ride and drive and drive and ride and drive some more, they fit the bill. And if you want personality to spare, you've got it.

We breed and train sport Morgans, primarily for dressage. But with their agility and tirelessness, these guys have just the right temperament and talent for most of the sporting disciplines-- eventing ponies galore!

The biggest challenge with a Morgan is being good enough to keep up with them.

ETA-- Scan@Shelby, you have a lovely mare! She looks a lot like our Stormy; I'd be interested to know her bloodlines!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Ohh Bayou Roux I'm in WNY and check out Foxwin's site regularly! I also stalk Genesee Valley Morgan's page.

I grew up on QHs and then made the switch to TBs as an adult. I love my TBs but would also love something a little less high maintenance!

Would be fun to have a really versatile horse that could do a little of everything. Another requirement is family friendly as my daughter especially has an interest in coming to the barn yet is intimidated by my big TB.

Of course this is all hypothetical and a few years down the pipeline, but fun to research nonetheless!

I don't have one, but I have two friends who do.

One of them has two Morgans, and he does Civil War reenactments, mostly, with a little bit of trail riding. His wife also rides them sidesaddle. Both his horses seem just a little bit hotter and more sensitive than your average QH, but they're still very sensible.

The other friend has a Morgan mare that she bought mostly for her kids to drive, very sensible and well trained, and then discovered that the mare was so much fun that she wanted to ride and drive her, too!

Now my experience with the breed isn't extensive, but I've certainly been very impressed with the Morgans I have met. Of the three I mentioned above, I'd be pleased as punch to have any of them in my barn.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have a Morgan gelding that I purchased when trying to find something not gigantic that was started over fences and in my price range.

For most of his life he had been a combined driving horse, but had six months or so under saddle with an event rider/trainer.

He's certainly a challenge as there is boundless energy, strong will, and what I like to call "Morgan alert" where he feels he must be monitoring everything around him. That being said, he had more personality and intelligence than pretty much any other horse I've met. At this point we're learning together.

He also is an incredibly agile, nimble, smart jumper (which makes our less than stellar dressage). Ideally my goal is to get back to some novice level eventing, should my budget allow for that.
    A horse gallops with its lungs, perseveres with its heart, and wins with its character.
    ~Tessio

Hello FG. Of course you should remember I have a morgan. She's in TN, but she's still mine. We have shown english and western pleasure. I took lessons on her over fences. She drives (trained her myself). She is also an amazing trail horse (go anywhere alone or in a group) for as long as you want to go. Leave her in the pasture for weeks or months and months, pull her out, get on and go for a trail ride alone without any issues. Whatever I have wanted to try, she has been up for doing. Want to ride me in a bitless bridle, sure. Show western pleasure, ok. Train over fences so we can event, ok. Do some dressage tests at home (Training and 1st level) with Terri - ok. Really can't say enough good things about her or morgans in general.

If you are looking in WNY Genesee Valley breeds some really nice morgans for sport. There is also a great training barn just outside of East Aurora on Center Road run by World Championship trainers Jeff and Amy Bessey who know everyone and anyone in the morgan world and could help you find a morgan to suit your needs no matter what your goals might be, even if it is for a nice all arounder who is a great family horse. (They know all the morgan barns in our area and across the country and go to lots of sales.)

If you want more info feel free to call or text me too. I'd be happy to help or at least give you some pointers on morgan barns in our area, breeding, etc. Can't say enough good things about the morgans. Love my girl. They are all heart.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Ever read that "How Many Horses Does It Take to Change a Lightbulb"? Well's here's the Morgan part:
    * Morgan: Me! Me! Me! Pleeease let me! I wanna do
    it! I’m gonna do it! I know how, really I do! Just watch! I’ll rewire the
    barn after, too.
    * Appaloosa: Ya’ll are a bunch of losers. We don’t
    need to change the light bulb; I ain’t scared of the dark. And someone make
    that darn Morgan stop jumping up and down before I double barrel him.

It is so true. They have the best work ethic of any horse I've ever worked with. They are honest, unflappable, sturdy, tireless and full of fire- Honestly, I can't imagine another breed I'd want to own. But like Bayou Roux said, they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I like to compare them to Border Collies- super smart, high energy and self confident (which can get into a whole mess of trouble if they are smarter than you- LOL!)

I have 3 and 1/2:
    Misty's If You Please "Belle"- my heart horse, 17 year old by Caduceus Joshua.
    Willowcroft Melody "Esme"- my newest Morgan, 7 year old by DJJJ's Ebony Gold
    Philadelphia's Choice "Philly"- 18 year old, out on lease, by Prince of Gold
    ELM Tabula Rashah "Charisma"- 3 year old, 1/2 Morgan (shown as a yearling)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I love Morgans. I've found them to be my all-around horse. I've ridden them, driven them, and I've used them in therapeutic riding/hippotherapy programs as well. I've never met a "fire-breathing dragon" Morgan (guess I'm lucky!) but they do have a little more pep than a QH but not nearly as much as some Arabians. They are incredibly hardy and strong horses with hard hooves. I still remember ten years ago, going to a "fun show" at a local riding stable in middle Georgia and seeing a Morgan stallion, age 33, being ridden in one of the classes. He never missed a beat.

After a horrid riding accident when I was thirteen years old (stupid instructor, that was quickly terminated, put me on a very green, very pi$$y mare in heat to ride and "try out" to see if she would be a good riding horse) in which I was pinned between a mare and the brick side of a house, the new instructor showed up with her knight-in-chestnut-armor Morgan to help rebuild my confidence after I recovered. Besides having read Henry's "Justin Morgan Had a Horse" as a kid, this chestnut-knight made me fall in love with Morgans.

I've found, as a whole, Morgans are sensitive to their riders' needs, willing to please, and always ready to go. I compare them to my German Shepherds

Over the almost twenty years since then, I've met more and more Morgans including an entire barn of golden oldies whose owners (and breeders) refused to give them up. All of the golden oldies are more than happy to don their harnesses and put on a fancy show just to show others "they still got it!"

My next horse (after our wedding! lol) will be a Morgan. I've enlisted the assistance of the owners of the golden oldies above to put me in touch with other Morgan owners/breeders in the area.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Hey TR I always wondered about your username and now I know! Your morgans are lovely!

PalMorgan I was thinking about you yesterday as I was typing the original post. Someday when I'm in the market I will rope you in to helping me!

I like a forward, confident horse that isn't needy or insecure. Smart is ok providing that doesn't involve trying to constantly think up ways to dump me. I've always loved the Morgan at our barn (who I've ridden off and on for 15+ years)

QHs can run the gamut as far as personality and type, given all the TB influence and backyard breeding. I've unfortunately had a lot of experience in lameness issues with my QHs, so I'm kind of over the breed right now.

Saddlebreds are another one of my closet interests, though the one I knew and rode was almost built more like a Morgan than a typical Saddlebred, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Ever read that "How Many Horses Does It Take to Change a Lightbulb"? Well's here's the Morgan part:
    * Morgan: Me! Me! Me! Pleeease let me! I wanna do
    it! I’m gonna do it! I know how, really I do! Just watch! I’ll rewire the
    barn after, too.
    * Appaloosa: Ya’ll are a bunch of losers. We don’t
    need to change the light bulb; I ain’t scared of the dark. And someone make
    that darn Morgan stop jumping up and down before I double barrel him.

It is so true. They have the best work ethic of any horse I've ever worked with. They are honest, unflappable, sturdy, tireless and full of fire- Honestly, I can't imagine another breed I'd want to own. But like Bayou Roux said, they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I like to compare them to Border Collies- super smart, high energy and self confident (which can get into a whole mess of trouble if they are smarter than you- LOL!)

I have 3 and 1/2:
    Misty's If You Please "Belle"- my heart horse, 17 year old by Caduceus Joshua.
    Willowcroft Melody "Esme"- my newest Morgan, 7 year old by DJJJ's Ebony Gold
    Philadelphia's Choice "Philly"- 18 year old, out on lease, by Prince of Gold
    ELM Tabula Rashah "Charisma"- 3 year old, 1/2 Morgan (shown as a yearling)
    Ahh, I love them all!!

I love the intelligent look in Belle's eyes. She really looks sharp! Also, your new Morgan looks very well made.

I've always loved the ones I've met. I wouldn't mind owning one myself one day. I've always thought they were like my Arabs, except built a bit larger .

I'll play -- I rode a Morgan at the eventing barn I used to lease and take lessons at. See pic! Major is an old type Morgan, and had mainly been used in his younger days as a trail horse, but when he came to the event barn, he was trained in enough dressage / eventing to be a decent school horse. He didn't have much in the way of brakes at times, but he was a fun and forward guy. Now that I've ridden more, I think I'd love a Morgan. In the photo posted, from 2006, I think he was 20 or so.

The next time I took him to an event (at elementary) we took a tumble together - he slipped in the mud and we both went down. But overall he was a blast and a good guy to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoriMajorAfterXC_sm.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	32440  
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
    Ahh, I love them all!!

I love the intelligent look in Belle's eyes. She really looks sharp! Also, your new Morgan looks very well made.

I've always loved the ones I've met. I wouldn't mind owning one myself one day. I've always thought they were like my Arabs, except built a bit larger .
    Thank you
    I started out in Arabs as a kid and then got a job with Morgans when I was 14 and haven't looked back since! (Not that I don't still like the arabs!)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I don't have Morgans, but I have a couple friends who work over at the Kennebec Morgan Farm, so I love to brag about their horses! My friend's mare, Kennebec Ladyhawke, does it all! Winning at third level dressage, cleans up in driving, does western, side-saddle, jumps, and won her beginner novice division at the Snowfields USEA event last summer! She's a sassy thing and has tons of talent and the ego to make her believe there isn't anything she *can't* do! I love the Kennebec Morgans because they are the old government lines and look like mini warmbloods.

One thing I'm dying to know is: Are all Morgans "potty trained?" Every Morgan I've known has a habit of pooping right up against the back wall of their stall in one neat pile. So funny!!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Lori he's the spitting image of the one at our barn except ours is solid bay.

I'm just ready for something LOW MAINTENANCE!!!!!!! Seems like I could get the nice forward brain and willing attitude that I love in a TB, in a tougher, hardier package.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Lori he's the spitting image of the one at our barn except ours is solid bay.

I'm just ready for something LOW MAINTENANCE!!!!!!! Seems like I could get the nice forward brain and willing attitude that I love in a TB, in a tougher, hardier package.
    Do it! Do it! Do it! (Morgan enabler here!- LOL!)

Forward and indestructible? Yes they are. I think Major was barefoot too.

Isn't he cute? I called him my little Spanish horse. He is probably 15'1 or so. I think he's pretty much retired in his middle 20s, but I'll bet he would be happy to be ridden on trails again.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09