The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Carrying water to pastures

I was reading the thread about the wheelbarrow water bag and wondered if anyone else has come up with an ingenious way to move water to far out pastures.

When the pump at our top pasture died my barn owner did this and I thought it was brilliant.

Take an old muck bucket and cut a two inch hole on the side of it near the bottom of the bucket. Put a garbage bag in the muck bucket. Put said bucket in the back of the truck and fill it with water, tie it at the top so nothing spills. Drive the truck to the empty water tub. Take an old down spout with the top three inches cut in half so the water has a good spot to flow into. Position the down spout with the cut end under your hole in the side of the muck bucket and the other end over the empty water tub. Use your pocket knife to pop the garbage bag....and Wal Lah the water flows out of the muck bucket into the water tub and you haven't hurt your back!

Anybody else have any great ideas?

Orrrrrrrrr, get a faucet nozzle, like one would use to make your own rain barrel, cut the correct size hole in the muck bucket, glue/cement the spigot to the bucket, and voila, no need to find new garbage bags

To that end, you can also use a purpose-made rain barrel, some of which hold 75 or more gallons And, you can attach a hose to the spigot to further redirect the water

My DH made a rack that holds two 55gal plastic drums. At the drain, he attached pvc pipe that connected the two drums like a Y. Then he has a longer pipe that fits on the end of the Y that can reach through the fence to the trough. He puts the empty barrels in the back of his p/u and fills the barrels. Then he just backs up to the tubs and opens the spigot!

He's such a smart boy
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

set of plastic garbage cans and an old pickup truck? Works for us in temporary grazing situations. Bungee them in and drive slow. Most of the water gets there. It's a $20 answer to a $200 pickup truck bed water tank with a proper spigot...
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

When the hydrant froze in the pasture, we used our Rubbermaid Big Wheel Tough Cart to slowly haul it full of water out to the horses. Worked like a charm!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Nothing particularly ingenious about this but have used water cans designed for camping, 7 gallons each with a built in spigot in the lid, to fill trough every day and water buckets at night, have no running water at the barn....yet...thank God well will be drilled this summer
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

If using barrels, drums or tubs without lids you can cut a piece of styrofoam to fit inside the top of the barrel and water won't slosh out as easily.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Buy some inexpensive PVC pipe and hang it on the fenceline at a slight downward angle.

Place your hose a foot or so inside the higher end of the pipe, turn on the spigot, and out flows the water at the other end.

Easier than dragging hoses, cheap, can be used in any kind of weather.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Buy some inexpensive PVC pipe and hang it on the fenceline at a slight downward angle.

Place your hose a foot or so inside the higher end of the pipe, turn on the spigot, and out flows the water at the other end.

Easier than dragging hoses, cheap, can be used in any kind of weather.
    Great idea. Im imagineing horses biting/bumping this tearing it all to heck Do you hang it outside fence and lower than top rail?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I don't use it. My old boarding barn owner did. He needed to get water to a pasture but didn't want to bury another water line. It was on the inside of the fence line and the horses never bothered it, that I recall. Pretty thick PVC.

I thought it was pretty creative.

Wow you guys are full of great ideas. I think if he had to have something like this on a permant basis he would have the barrels with the spigots on them, but this was a temporary PITA