The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To sell or Not to Sell?

I need some advice.

I have this pony, who I got for free from my old employer. Long story short he went from being a psycho chryptorchid to a super low level event pony.

There is more info about him on my blog if you care to read:

http://fillysbestfriend.blogspot.com...ond-event.html

He is not really for sale but if the right person came along I may be interested. He is just my back up horse. I am pretty attached to him, and my biggest fear is him ending up in the wrong hands.

I think I may have found someone who can offer him a great forever home with a family with three young riders who could all grow up on him. My biggest issue is their budget is well below what I would hope to get for him.

I know horses can be fine one day and turn up lame or drop dead the next. I also know I'm not aching for the money but some money would be nice to help cover the costs for my show season.

Thoughts??

How about the third option: Lease?

It could be for money, or for "free" (which would get him off of your feed bill, therefore freeing up money for your summer showing) and you would always be able to keep an eye on him. Plus, that way, if the girls grow out of the horse thing or just out of him, you can assure he comes right back to you.

When you sell a horse, you lose the right to control what happens to the horse. That's just a fact.

It sounds like your would like some $$$ for this horse, but are worried about the right type of home. I'm not sure the model of "a great forever home with a family with three young riders who could all grow up on him" is a very good one. I've seen kids' horses turnover a great deal faster than with adults' horses. It's very hard to find a forever home for an animal that can live for 30 years or more. So, if you can't sell him to the best situation you can find for him, then give him that forever home you want so badly with you.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

If at your home he's the backup horse and gets used only once in awhile and at the other possible home he'd be used and loved to death by three kids...and money isn't the issue...which is better for him?

Keep in mind that if he truly is a good kids horse he will never lack for someone wanting him even if these kids outgrow him or lose interest.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Well....on the one hand you hope you can make more money on him, but on the other hand you have a potential home for him now that will allow you to sleep at night. The question is; if you pass on them what are the odds you will get another great home willing to give you the price you ask...

Bird in the hand/two in the bush?

Paula

I don't know what association those kids will be showing the pony in, but in many, the kids or amateurs have to own the horse or they lose their junior or amateur status.

Be sure whoever leases, if they do, are aware of the rules as they may be where they want to show.

I offered a free lease, however these people really want to buy. I have been dealing with their coach, she has had hard experiences in the past with leases where the owners came back and took the horse back to show themselves after a year or two of having them cared for. This wouldn't be the case for me but how can I prove that right?

He would still be worked, and probably shown a bit if I keep him. I feel like on one hand I could be giving this opportunity to someone who maybe can't afford a super great horse, but has the love and care to give him a great life. I was given these opportunities when I was a young rider and I am grateful for it.

I guess I am more just scared to make the wrong choice, which is why I could never be a horse buyer/seller. I have advised that I would want the first buy back option if I were to sell him and they seemed ok with this.

He would only be showing schooling shows walk/trot, maybe cross rails.

First off, you said that he was free to you.
    There is no need to make back a non existant purchase price in this instance (though a bit of a pay check is always nice). The market is very pour right now and free hroses are a dime a dozen.

Also, add up what you would spend on him in 6 months. That is the pre view to the money you make by selling this particular horse to this family. The sale price is not where the biggest $$ comes in.

But if you like him very much, maybe (as other mentioned) lease him. Leases can get tricky though...

Second, and even more importantly, it looks as if ther are copy written photos posted all through your public blog from this professional site.

http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/ma...2_itemId=52201

With so many recent threads concerning the loss of photographers one would hope that riders would understand that posting copy written photos is STEALING and disrespectful.
    The photographers spend hours at horse shows for riders and their thanks is little.

Posting the photos on your blog and then posting the link to your blog on a public site (where we have had countless conversations over this very act!) is tacky.

BTW, the buckskin is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I offered a free lease, however these people really want to buy. I have been dealing with their coach, she has had hard experiences in the past with leases where the owners came back and took the horse back to show themselves after a year or two of having them cared for. This wouldn't be the case for me but how can I prove that right?
    Write up a 3-4-5-6-ten year contract if the only issue with a lease is that they're afraid of the horse being grabbed back from them. (Which is a reasonable fear, I've seen it happen to.)

I pay $100 a month in board to my parents for him (I do all my own horsecare/mucking). He is barefoot so about $30 every 6 weeks for farrier. I guess his costs aren't too high, but working full time and having another horse to be competing means a harder time managing my time with 2 horses.

You are right about the photos, I have not seen the recent threads so I apologize for being tacky/rude. When I wrote those posts I was just so extatic on how great he was doing I wanted to share with everyone. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I do believe I can use them once I have purchased them though right?

Thank you for the advice so far. I think I am going to have them try him out and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by psychurmine View Post
    First off, you said that he was free to you.
    There is no need to make back a non existant purchase price in this instance (though a bit of a pay check is always nice). The market is very pour right now and free hroses are a dime a dozen.

Also, add up what you would spend on him in 6 months. That is the pre view to the money you make by selling this particular horse to this family. The sale price is not where the biggest $$ comes in.

But if you like him very much, maybe (as other mentioned) lease him. Leases can get tricky though...

Second, and even more importantly, it looks as if ther are copy written photos posted all through your public blog from this professional site.

http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/ma...2_itemId=52201

With so many recent threads concerning the loss of photographers one would hope that riders would understand that posting copy written photos is STEALING and disrespectful.
    The photographers spend hours at horse shows for riders and their thanks is little.

Posting the photos on your blog and then posting the link to your blog on a public site (where we have had countless conversations over this very act!) is tacky.

BTW, the buckskin is lovely.

If it were me - and my situation is of course different - I would sell him cheap to the family with the option to buy him back. Sounds like a win for the family and a win for the horse. It might take you months to sell him for what he's really worth (and of course you'll be paying for advertising, etc.). And it sounds like these people would offer a great home for the pony.

I was in your shoes at one time. I had to decide whether to sell my first pony (purchased as an adult) or fly him from HI to CA then ship him to VA. That would've cost $10K total and I would've had to board him at first since my place wasn't horse ready yet.

Or I could sell him to a wonderful young rider. I was asking $2K. They could only afford $1K. I settled for selling him and taking them to the tack shop where I made sure they spent close to $1K on correctly fitting tack and equipment.

Sell the pony and say good bye. Buy backs and Rights of First Refusal are worthless. See recent threads for proof.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Working on setting up a trial date. Thanks again everyone.