The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTH Classifieds

How much does it cost to place an add on the COTH classifieds. I feel like this section is not being used to its full potential. The only reason I can think of why more people are not using it is because of cost. With as many people on this site I think it could be a great resource and I dont understand why it is not used more.

I went on the classifieds section to look for a blue tipperary eventing vest. There is only like 66 things listed and most of them are saddles. Not impressed. And only 144 or so horses listed.

How great would it be to have a huge trading post of...

-Horse for sale (of course)
    -Tack for sale
    -Tack wanted
    -Local professionals/ business- listed by state then by category (ex: trainer, vets, shoers, barns, MISC) SOOO offen there are post about someone moving to a new state looking for this information

With as many people that are one here I expected to see 1000's of post not just over a hundred. I dont know what the cost is but it must be too high. Even if it was formatted the same way as this BB, each category a new section. Instead of starting a new thread for free you would have to pay a few bucks. I would do it.

You can place a free text ad but I am not sure how.

It says with a premium membership you get one free ad, but not sure where.

I agree. If it was less expensive I would go for it too.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post

I agree. If it was less expensive I would go for it too.
    I am picturing creglist COTH style. Tons of people would do it if it was only a few bucks. COTH would prob make more money if a ton of people placed cheap adds instead of a few people placing expensive adds.

What I think is stupid about the classified posts is that they don't show up when you click on New Posts. Because of that, I never see them, and I'd like to. (Or do they? Maybe the reason I've never seen the Classified posts is that there aren't very many of them.)

The price is the reason I don't use the classifieds here. The way I remember it was that it was $10 for a posting under $500, which is great if you have something towards the higher end of the price range, but if I have something to sell for $30 it really makes craigslist or some of the other horse tack sites a better (cheaper) option.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Great idea. Sort of like Virginia Equestrian classifieds, but on a nationwide basis. ( Full disclosure: I've never checked their rates, but I bet it's a lot cheaper than COTH, because they have a lot of lower-priced listings.

I think there is a price list inside one of the stickys on the threads themselves? Also gives directions on how to pay.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Probably many feel they will do better offering the majority of items locally rather then listing them nationally.

When you go national, you get into more complications in fitting, determining if it is what the buyer is looking for, payment/possible return and shipping.

It's a heck of alot easier to post a notice on the tack store wall, advertise in a local publication or just use Craigslist for those lesser priced items.

As a buyer for anything like that, I want to see it and try it before I buy it so I want to stay local.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    What I think is stupid about the classified posts is that they don't show up when you click on New Posts. Because of that, I never see them, and I'd like to. (Or do they? Maybe the reason I've never seen the Classified posts is that there aren't very many of them.)

This happens to me. I can see a post listed on the right but then when I click "tack wanted" or whatever there are no posts there. I thought maybe I had to be a member or something to read them.