The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I remember now....

....why I have spent my life riding... I'd definitely forgotten, or tried to forget, but no longer... got back in the saddle tonight after 18 months off due to pregnancy and baby.

I'd gone out to have my horse's feet trimmed, was going to hop on a friend's mare but thought better of it as she can be a little spicy. I used to ride her a lot but that was awhile ago! I was about to leave and the BO said hop on BR....

Kind of full circle, as I had helped break him when I was in high school! Back then he was around 10 and had only been trained to drive. But once we got him going under saddle he was always a totally solid mount and when I'm feeling sad, crappy or just wanting to mess around on the trail alone he has been the go-to horse.

Anyway he's in his mid-20's and more gray than bay. But he felt the same as he always has, and I grinned, giggled, and tried not to cry. I didn't think I'd have such an over the top response to riding again but I think I didn't realize how much I truly missed it. Even my husband said he hasn't seen me this happy in ages.

It really is like riding a bike, though admittedly my fitness level is not the best! It was strange cause it felt like I had never stopped and yet at the same time I felt a little clumsy.

Onward and upward now, no intention of stopping now that I'm finally back at it....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Woohoo! Well done - isn`t it a WONDERFUL feeling? Betcha you`ll have a silly grin on your face for days!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Good for you! I rode tonight for the first time in 5 days and kinda felt the same way!

Yay for you! Isn't it a shock tho, to realise how much you missed it.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by Horse with No Name View Post
    Yay for you! Isn't it a shock tho, to realise how much you missed it.
    Yes! And I think my friends were as excited as I was to see me back on a horse.

It was like finding a piece of myself again as dumb as that sounds. But we've had a very long year with the kids so there's been little time or energy for anything else. It is nice to finally feel like a real person again!

Once a Horsewoman ALWAYS a Horsewoman.

Its there forever!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

FlashGordon: Your post made me cry. I am so excited for you to be able to ride again. I bet it is the most wonderful feeling.

I haven't ridden in a few years. Kids, family, moves, got fat, got thin again, etc. I have spent the last couple of years doing halter horses and in-hand horses. Now, I want to ride, but am somewhat fearful. My horse is only slightly more than greenbroke and being older and with kids, my fear level has increased. I say I'm going to ride every morning when I wake up and then find 50 reasons/excuses why I don't.

I am so envious of your ride. Congrats!!!

How WONDERFUL for you! Glad you are getting back into it and experiencing such joy again.

YAY!!

Can't wait till i can get back up on a horse. Hopefully sometime this year i can start taking regular lessons again.

P.

Like!

That's great!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Congratulations! So happy for you! I bet you will be smiling all day today just thinking about it.

FG, you know that I couldn't be happier to read this post. I knew there was going to be a moment for you when you got back on and you wanted riding back in your life, no ifs and buts. After the broken horses you have cared for, and losing Dan, you are so owed some riding fun by the riding karma authorities.

Like, indeed.

I had a ride on Katy Monday that was really fun again. She's very much settled into her job and seems to know what this riding thing is all about. So find yourself a sitter for the weekend sometime this summer and come down to MD to meet us both!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

YAY!! Congrats!!

I go through spells where I get bored with riding (horse is older, semi-retired these days) and don't ride for several weeks. I start to wonder "Am I over horses??" Then I get back on for a spin around the field with my old guy and it always feels so great! Nope - I don't think I'll ever get over horses
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Thanks guys!! I knew you all would get it. Though I will say I was surprised at my husband's response, I think he too forgot what I'm like when I get a little time to ride. He commented this morning that I am like a different person!

Lori it really was the first time I felt like my heart was finally back in it. Maybe I needed the break. After Dan died I kept forcing myself to do it and I just wasn't there mentally. Perhaps the 18 months I've been sitting out were what I needed to find out that I really do love it and want to keep doing it.

Win's heading out this weekend to live at a friend's farm so he can be turned out in the nice weather and do some W/T lessons for her. I'm gonna ask the BO at my barn if I can continue hacking her schoolies once a week for awhile. I have plenty of friends who have offered to loan me horses so once I feel like I have my legs back under me I should have enough to ride.

It's been a very long road the last 4-5 years, as far as horses go. But now I am finally looking forward to what is ahead.

Hey FG -- your post is inspiring me! My son is better (I hate saying that, it feels like I'll jinx things) and so the round of doctor's appointments has slowed to a trickle, and I have time to ride, if I wanted to. I'm debating whether to get in touch w/my trainer and tell her . . . and your post is tipping me to the "yes!" side!

FG, that all sounds great. I was hoping you had enough contacts w/ barns and riders that you could just find a way to get on once a week or so -- even that is actually pretty great, after being away.

I think that after your loss, and the horse before and after Dan who were mainly work for you, you needed a break, and that now you need horses to be FUN again. That's very much how I have felt, coming out of Katy's long lameness. It has been work, and now it needs to be more fun and less worry and work. Goodness knows, with 2 little ones and your daughter's health, you have had plenty of worry and work yourself.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

SMF, go for it! I kept putting it off for a lot of reasons but I am so glad I finally got back on. I feel like a new person!! I'm glad to hear your son is doing better, I wonder about him every time I see your username pop up on a thread. Our kids were sick at a similar time so I know exactly what you are going through.

Lori thanks for always being the voice of reason and for encouraging me to keep my toes in the water! I'm definitely coming down to see you guys one of these days....

So glad you plunked your fanny back in the saddle
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables