The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flakey neighbor, loose horses, neighbors PO'd AAAACK!

This is a vent, it's long, and I'm sure that it isn't over yet.

So, a couple days ago we turn the guys out middle of the day-ish and start going about our business. Pony goes over to the fence and starts to call for his girlfriends (the neighbors' mares, who stand at the fenceline and talk to him across the aisle). Girlfirends call back but are obviously engrossed in something on the other side, the old cow pasture that is now a hay field. Pretty soon I hear a different whinny, and braying, and I can see a white horse in the cow pasture. Well, maybe the tenant got a horse, but that fence is cr*p so I'm thinking hmm, any day now we'll have a visitor, oh brother.

No. Three hours or less a large pony comes up our driveway with her donkey companion. DH walks towards them and they boogie back out to the road - oh great, it's a quiet road but . . .
    He follows and they trot off and vanish into the woods or wherever. We see Mareowner (remember Mr Lungewhip from a couple of years ago?) he's outside with his horses watching too.

So. I head off to work at oh dark 30 the next morning after checking the yard for loose equines - dog's been barking, horses are restless, no strangers around, only to get to the head of the driveway and see two ghosts grazing right there in one of our open spaces. Call the DH, head off to work. DH calls AC as we have NO clue where these horses belong, calls Mr Lungewhip later and finds out that he knows where they belong, to the flakey druggie jailbird across from him. Mr Lungewhip was called by the owner of the hay field and ever so chivalrously chased the horses out into the road and shot at them with bb's to make them go away. Mr Lungewhip hasn't called AC, and Mr Lungewhip has no clue what is up with Flakey Neighbor.

Still with me? So DH rounds up the pony and mini donk and confines them in our lower paddock to await AC. DH doesn't want to deal with flakey jailbird neighbor either but he really doesn't want to deal with a horse/vehicle incident. AC arrives and the gate to Flakey Neighbor's place is locked, the house is way back and they aren't going there - I guess policy has them respecting locked gates. DH really really wants pony and donk gone off our place, but AC can't come back with a trailer that day and they agree to keep pony and donk with us and leave messages for the FN, who they know as a good enough guy to his animals.

Little Mr Pony, our pony, is tickled to have his own mare and donkey (even if they are scrawny and scrofulous-looking) and we settle in for the evening.
    FN calls a wee bit late and makes arrangements to come by and collect equines the next day. DH is in "guard" mode and basically chases him and the critters off, I get home in time to watch our pony calling and running the fenceline, but in true pony style a flake of hay shuts him up.

The vent part is this - what the H is Mr Lungewhip thinking driving two horses out into the street? Granted the owner is a druggie flake - is a car accident or chasing them into the woods going to somehow make this better?
    Secondly is that AC was intending to stuff the horses back into whatever pasture they got out of - but they aren't permitted to pass by a locked gate and the pasture (or whatever) is in the back somewhere - so they came without a horse trailer and no plan B I guess, or we were Plan B. WTF?

If DH hadn't chivvied that guy off I was strongly tempted to upgrade the two - we can't afford two more mouths to feed but it was darned hard not to yank a used envelope out of my pocket and talk him into signing a BOS. I do so love me a longears - I just hope the pair stays OK.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I helped AC catch a loose horse a mule couple of years ago. They were wandering in a subdivision. I had halters and leads in the car so thought I would help. Turns out that no one knew where they had come from and AC had no place to put them. I really didn't want to volunteer my place as I was afraid I would be stuck with 2 more mouths to feed. Thankfully, a place down the road offered to house them until the owner could be found so I didn't have to step up and do it. I think it took them several days to locate the owner
    The AC around here is not used to dealing with large animals so really had no plan or place to put them. The nice officer said he was working on a list of stables that would temporarily house horses if the need arose.

I hope your neighbors get their fence repaired so you have no more escapees heading to your house. And seriously, no one should be running the horses back into the road. Lungewhip man is nuts. That is dangerous for not only the horses but any drivers on the road.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My story's similar to yours and this is how I ended up with chickens, miniature goats and a pot-bellied pig. There were ducks and geese in the mix at one time, but they have since passed on to feather heaven.

Just passing this little snippet on in case you need to prepare yourself.

Gee thanks GF. We're already the neighborhood cat magnet.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default I feel your pain

We have a very similar situation at the farm next to us. I am constantly rounding up creatures, feeding them, watering them (cause I really can't stand it). We have given them extra fencing materials to fix their fence, a year ago. Nothing.

I bet you end up with the longear and his pony sooner or later. Just like I could easily end up with 4 OTTB's at some time soon. Don't need them, don't want them, but it's not their fault.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

A pain in the rear to be sure, but be glad you HAVE AC. We don't have that out here in the "county" - if there are animals endangering your property it's the old-fashioned way..

Why can't we shoot the (chronically negligent) owners of stray animals instead of the animals? I think we've got it backwards.........
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Gee thanks GF. We're already the neighborhood cat magnet.
    Me too. My barn cats always have a bowl of food and I think they tell their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Why can't we shoot the (chronically negligent) owners of stray animals instead of the animals? I think we've got it backwards.........
    Perfect.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

In NJ, you really aren't supposed to call Animal Control. The Dept of Ag is the place to call for wandering livestock. Part of the purpose is that Dept of Ag is more likely to know what to do with a large animal. I don't know what the situation is in your state, but you might want to check.