The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Video cameras for foaling

OK, stupid question from a newbie here....

My mare is due to foal in July, and barn owner suggested I buy a camera to install to watch her (BO has used camera before for her mares, but hers is old, and she also has a foal due this summer as well). Do you guys have any suggestions as to cheapish cameras that work well for foaling that you particularly like? Any to stay away from? It seems to me that you could buy a basic home security camera, rather than one designed specifically with horse breeders in mind, and find better online deals. FWIW, there is a WiFi network that reaches out to the barn that I could get on (not sure if this is how most cameras work or not).

Any and all suggestions welcome. Just trying to figure out how the more seasoned pros do it! Thanks!

I have used cctv cameras that are meant for home security for years. They are good in fairly low light and have sound (which I have found to be critical, as I tended to doze a bit but changes in noise always woke me up). Mine are hardwired, as the run to the barn was lengthy. They hook up to a small monitor that can handle 4 different cameras at a time. I've had the system since 2001 and it has paid for itself in time and energy saved.

If there's wifi, you could set up a webcam. I have 2 cameras in my foaling stall, one that runs to my house via cable (barn is quite close to the house) and connects to a TV in my bedroom. I also have a webcam connected to a laptop that I put in the hayloft above the foaling stall and I can check on my mare when I'm at work Only hiccup this year is we are no longer able to view anything streamed at work, so I had to figure out how to remotely watch my home desktop from work. Think I've got it figured out now, so I should be all set.
    Tracy Anderson
    Cornerstone Farm - Breeders of quality sport prospects for the amateur and professional
    www.cornerstone-farm.ca
    We're now on facebook! Follow us here

I use this camera, which is a wired camera within the barn. But then wireless transmit it across the driveway. We do this because a wireless camera's signal was interfered with by the stall grillwork. So, last year we bought this cheap wired camera (link below) The wireless receiver/transmitter system could be placed in the barn closest to the house, away from the grill work (no interference then).

Works great, infrared is just enough to see decently well in the stall at night. If the light is on, the camera is in color. And has audio, which is also helpful.
    Camera
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lorex+-+...ared&cp=2&lp=9

Receiver/transmitter
    http://salestores.com/clcw2ausere7.html

I have this http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html one. It says it has night vision but it doesn't work on mine so we leave a light on.

We purchased this one (post above) from Harbor Freight. Love it! We connected it to an old TV and perfect for foal watching. We have a heat lamp in the stall (very cold weather right now) and the night version works great. The audio is also very good.

davidjoe897 Guest

Cool

You can find good quality and cheap wireless camera with receiver, any spy cameras and wireless door video at espow.com.

I'm going to be trying out this barn camera - will let anyone interested (pm me) know how it does. http://www.securityvideosolutions.co...g-or-Barn.html

I've already returned one system - Uniden http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=4356074 that I bought through ebay. It didn't work for the distance I needed at all (through two walls inside my house it only went like 100 feet from that point).
    Home of Janas Kernel of Independence and Doolittle's Pride N'Joy.
    http://bittersweethorsefarm.com

bittersweet, that isn't an issue of the camera, it's an issue of the transmitter and receiver. I didn't look closely at the one you returned, but if it has a built in transmitter, that was the issue, not the camera itself

The more things you have in the way, the greater the "line of sight" distance needs to be if you're going wireless.

JB I've only just seen that your mare foaled a number of days ago - congratulations!! I was watching the replay and your camera seemed pretty decent - which one do you have and was it direct cable or wireless?

We use a Panasonic Network Remote Monitoring System. Camera was purchased from eBay, and is still going strong a number of years later.

Hands down, the BEST feature of this camera is that you can move it right from your computer screen, so if you need to see what is happening in a different corner of the stall, with the click of your mouse, you are looking over there. I absolutely love it.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbarley View Post
    JB I've only just seen that your mare foaled a number of days ago - congratulations!! I was watching the replay and your camera seemed pretty decent - which one do you have and was it direct cable or wireless?
    Thank you!

This is the camera I used, with this power supply

I went both wireless and direct, because wireless does have issues. The foaling was with the wireless though.

The issues started with the first transmitter/receiver I had, which was a 2.4GHz. Toooo much interference, and the video capture device I used - EzCAP - seemed to not be able to handle it, and my feed would constantly freeze. Mike at Protection Depot (see previous link) was *awesome* to work with, and in his experience, he's had that freezing issue with any video capture device he's used, when also using a wireless setup. I KNOW it's not simply the wireless, as I could feed it to my TV and while the picture would get crappy with some interference, it would never, ever freeze.

I then went with this transmitter/receiver and there was much less interference, as it's at the 900MHz range. However, the feed would still occasionally freeze. But, as the weather cooperated at that point, I discovered that by having the window open, I would get zero interference and freezing issues. We have low-e coated windows, and that can cause issues. So, I got very, very lucky that it was open-window night for several nights!

At one point I had my laptop in the barn and directly connected the camera video out to the EzCap video in, and the picture was *totally* awesome. My issue there became a mildly unreliable wireless internet signal At least with the freezing issue, the setup was right by my bed and I could reset things with hardly a budge.

I never did go coax cable from the barn to the house for a few reasons, one of which was because it meant running the cable through a section of pasture

If I had multiple mares, or knew I would be doing this year after year, I would have probably done a camera like ride said, one you could move around remotely. But for this purpose, as you could see in the replay, it's a great camera and covers quite a lot of area when mounted high enough. Mine was at around the 8' mark.

Oh that's awesome information JB - thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    I use this camera, which is a wired camera within the barn. But then wireless transmit it across the driveway. We do this because a wireless camera's signal was interfered with by the stall grillwork. So, last year we bought this cheap wired camera (link below) The wireless receiver/transmitter system could be placed in the barn closest to the house, away from the grill work (no interference then).

Works great, infrared is just enough to see decently well in the stall at night. If the light is on, the camera is in color. And has audio, which is also helpful.
    Camera
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lorex+-+...ared&cp=2&lp=9

Receiver/transmitter
    http://salestores.com/clcw2ausere7.html
    I have a similar set up, my camera is by First Alert ( $34) connected to a TV converter box ( $20) .connected to cable run from the barn to house underground, connected to TV. works great and fully wired for under $100
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB