The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When you just aren't fond of your horse's USEA registered name

So, what do you do when that happens?

Toby is my first horse that actually had a record prior to my owning him...everything else I've named and/or registered (either thinking of names for them, or calling them by their JC names- hate that for him...a lot).

I'm considering renaming him (have some ideas) when I deal with the USEA here in the near future, but part of me feels bad. His prior people obviously thought of his name (since it is different that the God awful JC name), and he HAS been competing under it. But I'm not sure I can live with it. I know people do it, but is it "ok"?

YOU are the one who is going to have to hear his show name all of the time. And get it engraved on his show halter. And see your name next to his all of the time. He is your baby now, change it, especially if it wasn't his JC name (hell, then the bad luck is on his last owners right? )

I changed some of my horses' show names
    Wil'Ya Love Me ---> (was) Houndstooth Willy Himself III
    Paint It Black -----> (was) The Paint
    Code Red -----> (was) Colby Cheese

You will be seeing his show name a lot, so if you aren't in love with it.... heck, this is YOUR dreamhorse right? DO IT!

Life's too short . . . change the name if you wish. One of the perks of ownership.
    Click here before you buy.

My rule is change it if they don't have their passport and you hate it.

Change it if they have their passport and you have the $$$, the horse isn't terribly well known either in the nation or in the area, and you hate it.

Don't change it if you buy a well known upper level horse who already has their passport. Like the girl who now owns Mystere du Val, or Axel Rose, or Nina Ligon who bought Jazz King. Keep it if the horse is 'famous' either within your area or without.

I'm going to dissent here. If I were going to be in touch with the former owners (even occasionally) I would just keep it. Since he already has a record (even a minimal one) no one will think you picked the terrible name. Of course, as the owner you can do whatever you like, but if he's already registered with the USEA it seems catty or superficial to me. That's just my feeling about it but of course you can do whatever you feel like doing as he is yours!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if someone chose a different show name for a horse I'd sold. If they changed the hose's BARN name, now that would bother me, because my horses ARE their barn names.

I've changed names on practically every horse that has come through my doors/gates. I thought I picked good ones but sometimes their new owners changed them - I wasn't offended (although I may have had private thoughts about their taste).

The best 'got my own goat' though was a pony I picked up and called Pinocchio, because he was so earnest and cute. My coach hated the name and said it made her think of a liar. (We usually disagree on names anyway!) One day I was out riding a bunch and she was trying to rest her sore back so she was submitting entries... when they were in the mail (point of no return) she told me she'd entered him as Stuart Little!! She started calling him Stuart right away too. It drove me nuts but the worst part was, the potential buyers loved the name (5 and 7 year old kids) and kept it when they bought him. Now the joke's on me!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Catty seems harsh!

The rest of you make me feel a little better! DC, I tend to agree with your rules. Those all make sense to me.

I always leave the names as they are at this stage in my life. When I was younger I did change my horses name because his registered name was Epizootic

For the CANTER horses that I sell, I always hope they will leave their names. It's nice to track them by their names and have people recognize them that way. I suppose I feel the same about all Tb's simply because when I see a nice TB I want to look up the bloodlines

I wouldn't be offended if someone changed the name. Most people change their barn names and that doesn't bother me as much as changing their registered name. Ha, I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    So, what do you do when that happens?

Toby is my first horse that actually had a record prior to my owning him...everything else I've named and/or registered (either thinking of names for them, or calling them by their JC names- hate that for him...a lot).

I'm considering renaming him (have some ideas) when I deal with the USEA here in the near future, but part of me feels bad. His prior people obviously thought of his name (since it is different that the God awful JC name), and he HAS been competing under it. But I'm not sure I can live with it. I know people do it, but is it "ok"?
    what are the names he already has?
    I forget....I thought you told us once already...
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

JC name is Go Senor Go (makes me want to poke my eyes out...I usually try and keep JC names, too, but I TOTALLY get why this one was backed away from).

His USEA name is Codename Toby.

I changed my mare's USEA registered name when I got her- it was atrocious IMO and I did not want to have to hear it every time I competed her.
    When I changed it, I ended up changing it back to her breed registry name which was also her original USEA name (which makes the change free ) which I did not love but I also did not mind. But I would have changed it even if there had not been an earlier registered name for her.
    I was on the fence about changing my gelding's show name but I never ended up competing him recognized so I never had to decide.
    I don't change barn names, but show names? if it is bad enough, you betcha!
    Last edited by bambam; Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I agree, change it! I did. His previous record now shows up under the new name - because in the database, he isn't a name, he's a number, and the number is the same.

I tend not to change their names, particularly if they've already got a record, or, even if they don't, I often use their barn name as a show name. Uncomplicated that way, and even if I don't love love love the name, it's usually _them_ and so it stays.

However, I think his USEA name is cute. If you hate it, then worth changing it just on principle.

It is a little confusing when you breed . . . Bonnie's mama's JC name was "Shiney Belle" (they even spelled it wrong, ugh!) and that's what's on Bonnie's papers, even though the name makes me cringe and the mare has always been Kelly/Delta Wave to me.

My trainer is very superstitious about name changes, so she reaaaaally discourages it. I was so relieved to buy a horse with a very nice JC name that I'm delighted to show under... one kid at our barn has a horse with the WORST name and is stuck with it.

It's your horse -- I say you can name it whatever the heck you want! If you don't like his show name, change it, I don't see any issues with that at all. The horse doesn't give a darn.

In my view, you are the one paying the bills, so you get to change the name if his current one doesn't do it for you. That said, I do understand how frustrating it can be for breeders to try and track their "product" and would probably try and avoid doing so.

Knowing the previous owners, I cannot imagine they would be offended. I think they would be much more concerened with his future with you, his well-being and that you love him!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

I originally had Oliver registered in the USEA under his registered name, Olezka, but then I got so sick and tired of hearing it mispronounced that after the umpteenth time I changed it to Benvolio (I'm an English teacher and a bit of a Shakespeare freak). He's a gelding, and probably with me for the rest of his life, so why not? Apologies to his breeder - I think his registered name is lovely, but nobody can seem to pronounce it. Sigh.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."