The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Good one. I posted this video on my FB page a few days ago.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I see you your 'talking' horse and raise you a theivin' dog!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaqOK7t2ks&NR=1

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Talking

Had a client's horse that did that all the time, when he was bored. And sometimes, when he wasn't. Like when he was halted at X in his dressage test at his second horse trials. Oy. We fell over, laughing, but the judge wasn't impressed - gave him crappy marks for submission. Clearly, a judge with no sense of humor.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAId0r15E-Y

Horse making "armpit farting" sounds with his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I see you your 'talking' horse and raise you a theivin' dog!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaqOK7t2ks&NR=1
    I can't find my sense of humor this morning.
    If you find it, please tell him to wait for me, I will be right back.

I didn't think this was funny, not good for the horse, bad idea for the dog, not a safe place to be doing that, especially when things went South with the leadrope.

We need to be careful what we teach, what we reinforce, because some of it is stuff we really don't want our animals to offer to us when we are not paying attention, or can be dangerous if the situation is not right.

Anyone seen my sense of humor yet?

That cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I can't find my sense of humor this morning.
    If you find it, please tell him to wait for me, I will be right back.

I didn't think this was funny, not good for the horse, bad idea for the dog, not a safe place to be doing that, especially when things went South with the leadrope.

We need to be careful what we teach, what we reinforce, because some of it is stuff we really don't want our animals to offer to us when we are not paying attention, or can be dangerous if the situation is not right.

Anyone seen my sense of humor yet?
    Probably hiding out with mine. The next time someone tells me how intelligent horses are, I'll just fire up that video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Probably hiding out with mine. The next time someone tells me how intelligent horses are, I'll just fire up that video.
    If my horse and dog did that, I would probably laugh too. What I wouldn't do it put it on youtube!

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    If my horse and dog did that, I would probably laugh too. What I wouldn't do it put it on youtube!
    My old border collie would do that, bring a horse to me, but she did it on command and to me, not just tugging here and there and dragging the horse without purpose.

It is interesting to watch how animals interact and in that sense, it is funny.
    I consider those times good for a laugh, just don't want to keep repeating it and see if we can get by without something bad happening eventually.

Maybe it is the foggy, misty, dreary day that made my humor walk off today.

Only funny in tht we have a Boxer puppy identical to that one and she is a born clown and we adore her. Not sure where the danger is compared to some things we see and they seem used to each other. I'd not do it myself, since I cannot see the reasoning...except in a fire.

Yes, it could have ended badly...anytime a horse and a rope or reins are involved, there is that risk. However, there were people all around, and this horse obviously was happy to wait to be rescued from the leadrope, and all's well that ends well. Would I encourage people to do it? No. Would I have chuckled if it was a dog and horse I knew well and probably let them play for a moment? Yes. I have seen much more carefully managed situations end in tragedy...

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I actually was pretty impressed with the horse- showed his good nature. I didn't find the video particularly funny- maybe it was because of that obnoxious cackle of a laugh that made me want to poke my eardrums.

Good natured, yes. Intelligent, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

All (except the dog and horse-which any of my horses would have stomped at first chance) are neurotic vices stemming from boredom or stress. Walk down any shed-row at the track and you'll see all these moves and more. They can be amusing to the casual observer but I too, don't usually see much humor in them either. Sorry, I need to lighten up I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    All (except the dog and horse-which any of my horses would have stomped at first chance) are neurotic vices stemming from boredom or stress.
    True to an extent, but I wouldn't say "all".

In some cases, a "vice" like those in the videos could be simply be anticipation of something like food, treats, etc. Both my horses have little mouthy routines, funny faces, etc. they like to exhibit when they know food is imminent, or attempting to beg a treat.

I don't consider either of them stressed, bored, or neurotic in any way.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    True to an extent, but I wouldn't say "all".

In some cases, a "vice" like those in the videos could be simply be anticipation of something like food, treats, etc. Both my horses have little mouthy routines, funny faces, etc. they like to exhibit when they know food is imminent, or attempting to beg a treat.

I don't consider either of them stressed, bored, or neurotic in any way.
    Maybe not bad habits now and maybe never for many horses.
    For those horses with a tendency to obsessive behaviors, those can be a start we may not want to keep reinforcing.
    See the post about the horse that then was making faces inappropiatedly at the halt in his test.

I didn't like the loose horse pulled around by the dog in a small parking lot full of trailers to run into and with no gate, where the horse could have panicked and ran out into the highway.

Yes, once is funny, we need to lighten up.
    Just be aware of what we promote or train, because not all is harmless fun.

This is a video that hubby and I thought was cute and hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEy4E...eature=related
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I'm with you Bluey, et.al.

That dog and horse video is totally cringe-worthy, endless possibilities for said activity to go FUBAR in a heartbeat.

^ Char I like when Teddy hits the high notes. Banana phooooooooooone!