The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who's Going to The Ark Spring HT May 7th?

I'm planning on volunteering. I hope to see a bunch of my fellow COTHers out there!

I really want to, but am not sure if I can get it together by then. I wanted to make that my mare's first try at eventing. I am recovering from a minor injury at the moment, and I will have to convince someone from my H/J barn to go to be able to have access to a trailer....so not really sure. Crossing my fingers!!!

Default The Ark in May

My friend and I are heading to The Ark for both the HT on Saturday and the FEH on Sunday! We are really looking forward to it. I have yet to do the HT there as last October my horse had his first ever abcess. But, I took my colt for his 2nd FEH.

It's really a nice venue and the people are really nice, they do a good job.

Mr. PM and his spiffy new OTTB will be making their debut in the maiden division. Looking forward to heading back to the Ark - we always have a good time there and it's been awhile since we've had a horse that could play there.

My bets are Mr. PM and the new OTTB will do AWESOME! New OTTB is super cute :-) We met you guys on the trail ride/drive in your neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Mr. PM and his spiffy new OTTB will be making their debut in the maiden division. Looking forward to heading back to the Ark - we always have a good time there and it's been awhile since we've had a horse that could play there.
    You ARE on a roll . . .
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    You ARE on a roll . . .
    With two polocrosse tournaments, a CDE, a CIC** and a CCI**. . . yep we are rolling. . . that money right out the door!

Default Competitor and pocketbook friendly!

Everyone should come to the Ark! Where else can you pay less than $200 for an entry AND stabling to a USEA/USEF event?!?

The HT and CT classes will all be on Saturday, and the FEH/YEH classes on Sunday. All courses are great for this time of year--and the grass has come up so green and soft. Check out the website for Nunn Finer Series and WTE Team Challenge details.

And no, contrary to previous threads, there are no (and have never been any) hippopotamuses in the pond!

:-)

I will be there with my 7yo at Prelim and my 4yo stallion maybe doing BN, maybe doing YEH, maybe both.....

And students at various levels Maiden thru Training.

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    With two polocrosse tournaments, a CDE, a CIC** and a CCI**. . . yep we are rolling. . . that money right out the door!
    Rollin' Rollin' Rollin', keep that money Rollin'
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I just got my schedule worked out so I can bring my old boy to the CT!

I am thinking about going to this event for the first time...especially since it's a one day! I would be re-moving back up to training....any thoughts on the course? Particularly stadium as that is when the boogie men come out!

I saw that the dressage warm up is in an indoor...are the actual rings outside?

Thanks for any input!

I'm taking two of my youngsters and one foxhunter-turned-eventer in Novice, and I'll have JER's youngest mare, Nina, in Maiden. Nina had her FEH debut at the Ark in '09, so she is essentially "going home" to her pet zebra and buffalo.

cbsh-- I haven't seen the Ark course in awhile, but I know (and have come to love) John's courses from doing CD apprenticing with him. Some of his courses may appear overly technical at first glance; however, firmly being cognizant of the question that he is asking at each element allows the courses to ride in a straightforward manner. If you're secure with Training questions-- some stride adjustment, mild downhill approaches, fairly forward coffins, "faux"-type corner jumps, bending lines, drops-- you should be fine. You have a PM.
    Last edited by Glenbaer; Mar. 31, 2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Execution of the English language is often overrated; Russians know best.

I haven't been there in years but am planning to go. Thankfully, have off from work that Friday so can have a leisurely trip up there for once .
    Mollie Zobel Eventing
    Rocky Swamp Farm
    Springfield, SC
    www.molliezobeleventing.com

Oh yeah and I can bring my Formula One filly who will be 10 months old.... first trip out!

Jennifer

I'd be interested in going, but a few people have told me some things that make me hesitate to enter....

1. it truly is the noah's ark of eventing and sometime they don't put all their animals away. so you might have a zebra greeting you out on your xc? that would definitely surprise my horse

2. That the facility is all spread out and takes forever to get anywhere?

Now, this is all word of mouth. I have never been there....

At the recognized events the animals are always put up, and the facility is relatively small. We have shown there a lot and not once has a zebra greeted us on the cross country course.

It is a small show, very competitor oriented, with great volunteers. They have worked very hard to upgrade things each year. Unfortunately they suffer in comparision to The Fork and CHP, with regard to big, fancy and expensive, but we have never been to the Ark that we haven't come away with a postive run. It may be a bit "backyard" but the staff there always strive for and frequently achieve a first class experience.

We are taking a super green horse for his first outing at a recognized event, and aren't worried one bit.

There is nothing wrong with "backyard" as long as the experience is good and safe.

Does anyone know how long the drive is from aiken proper? is anyone going from aiken?

The animals are kept off the xc course, but you have to walk by some of them to get to xc, there are some adjacent to the xc course (used to be buffalo, I can't remember what was in that field last time I schooled there but it was something fairly innocuous like llamas I think--the buffalo freaked some horses out), and they are visible from dressage if that will bother your horse.

It's not sprawling like the Fork, but it isn't like CHP where stabling is in the middle and it is all neat and tidy. Stabling is a bit of a hike from everything which can make it challenging if you have multiple horses and have to go back and forth to exchange them....

Jennifer

^^ ah, yes, be prepared to "run the gauntlet" if the xc start box is in the same place as last year...we had to pass by several llamas and goats and pigs, and while Big Brave Oliver was fine, he had to be a lead for a couple of others...

The course is very friendly, with some honest questions (and the Novice course is pretty maxed out size-wise), but nothing too scary.

I plan on going with the Redhead, showing our (hopefully last time!) BN. I will be The Asian Chick on a pretty chestnut gelding with chrome.

Btw, I take along a mountain bike and just zip around from stabling to xc course, and even ride the course with my bike, instead of hoofing it. Works for me, and I always gain envious looks from the others walking the course as I zip by on my mountain bike.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."