The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Ordered breeches: Now, what to wear under them?

I finally broke down and ordered some breeches (Equine Couture - jeans style) after riding in normal jeans for the past three months. I love riding in jeans, but my saddle is paying for it.

About 10 seconds after hitting 'submit' on the order, I just realized I don't know what to wear underneath them. In college, I wore thongs when I rode, and normal panties for everything else. Nowadays, I wear men's boxer-brief trunks. I really don't want to go back to thongs if I don't have to.

I was thinking that maybe some Under Armor compression shorts might be a good option, but not sure how the fabric will cooperate with each other.

So, what does everyone else wear under their breeches?

(I do feel a tad creepy asking that question, fwiw. )
    The dude abides ...

If you don't ask you might not get the answer you need!

I have the same problem after suffering from a rubbed tush! I'm sure that going gaited has added to it!

Came home with a thong but ...naaaahhh!!

So waiting to hear the answer on the Under Armor.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Are you just concerned about VPL? I generally wear boy short style underwear, either in stretch lace or a stretchy microfibre type material. Both are quite comfortable and I don't have too many problems with it shifting into... ummm... interesting places!

Under Armour. By far the most comfortable. No VPL, no nasty seams/elastic in the wrong place, no bunching up, and breeches glide over them.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Whatever's comfortable. I find that some underwear binds or rides up in the saddle. Those are now designated non-riding underwear. I won't wear thongs-- I find them horribly uncomfortable-- and have found that of the styles I do wear, some brands work for riding and some don't. If VPL is a concern, a pair of Spanx/Assets/SmartSlims smooths everything out and obscures panty lines.

Thanks so much, y'all!

I will definitely give the Under Armour a shot. I know they have both boxer briefs and compression shorts and may end up trying them both. I would do the full length riding garments that hold it all in, but I don't know if I'd want that much extra material, especially when it starts hitting the 95+ degrees. (Which will be soon -- another reason I'm ditching jeans)

I just know my current briefs are fine under normal jeans, but would be a bit too thick under stretchy breeches.
    The dude abides ...

spanx original footless - no lines, no chafing and you look like you've lost 5lbs

A while back there was another poster who brought this up. She recommended Hanes Opaque (or something like that) boyshorts from Target. I have never had any luck with boyshorts (usually would ride up or not enough coverage) so I was skeptical. I ended up buying this particular fabric Hanes undies, but in the bikini style, which is the style of undies I like. These Hanes bikinis were awful under breeches! I did end up taking a chance on the boyshorts and I love them for under breeches! I do have a very shapely, albeit large, butt and these actually stay in place and I don't have VPL. They are also a very lightweight fabric that seems to dry quickly if you get sweaty- I sometimes wear them when running, so I appreciate that about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post
    A while back there was another poster who brought this up. She recommended Hanes Opaque (or something like that) boyshorts from Target. I have never had any luck with boyshorts (usually would ride up or not enough coverage) so I was skeptical. I ended up buying this particular fabric Hanes undies, but in the bikini style, which is the style of undies I like. These Hanes bikinis were awful under breeches! I did end up taking a chance on the boyshorts and I love them for under breeches! I do have a very shapely, albeit large, butt and these actually stay in place and I don't have VPL. They are also a very lightweight fabric that seems to dry quickly if you get sweaty- I sometimes wear them when running, so I appreciate that about them.
    I 2nd the Hanes opaque boy shorts. I love them! I wear them all the time now - they look great under dressy pants for work, too.

Unfortunately, it seems like my local Taget has stopped carrying them - I have been checking for them every time I stop in (usually about once a week) and they haven't had them for the past month or so. I may have to check online or see if someone else carries them.

Are the Hanes in the women's section or the guys section?

Just curious. I'll have to look for those too, since I'm not sure I can afford more than a couple pair of the Under Armour.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Are the Hanes in the women's section or the guys section?

Just curious. I'll have to look for those too, since I'm not sure I can afford more than a couple pair of the Under Armour.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    In the women's section & they come in 2 packs - I want to say they're approx $8/pack, so definitely cheaper than the Under Armour.

I guess I've been blessed as I've never really had an issue w/ this... I wear what is comfortable and miminal VPL... for me that's been either a boy short type or french cut... no bikini...

I wear big grandma undies. Not the real ones but nothing tiny or bikini.

I have to be comfortable. I really do not care about VPL. If that's what people concentrate on, then that's their business but I don't care.

I could never wear a thong. The sweating, the chafing. Ugh. I would be miserable by the end of a ride or a show.

Ew, butt floss. Even worse when they're hanging out of someone's waistline. I'm with tracy, I don't give a flying flip about panty lines. They tell me people are wearing underwear, which, quite frankly makes me happy. The alternative, ew. I just wear normal cotton underwear, it works just fine.

Under Armour... all the way.

Victoria's Secret, the Pink line, makes no-line boyshorts and bikini cut underoos. They are extremely comfortable and don't show up under the britches. At $5 a pop you can't really go wrong!

Huh? You need something "special" to wear under breeches? The only thing different for me is to make sure to wear flesh color underwear for dressage competitions so it won't show through the white breeches.... I will think boxer style will be kind of bulky and annoying under breeches though.

Quote Originally Posted by *Battle Worthy* View Post
    I 2nd the Hanes opaque boy shorts. I love them! I wear them all the time now - they look great under dressy pants for work, too.

Unfortunately, it seems like my local Taget has stopped carrying them - I have been checking for them every time I stop in (usually about once a week) and they haven't had them for the past month or so. I may have to check online or see if someone else carries them.
    I just ordered some of these Hanes Opaque Boy Shorts from Sierra Trading Post. They are on close-out on their website, so my guess is they are being discontinued. The sale price is $4.25 for a pack of two. Shipping for 2 packs was about $6.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Huh? You need something "special" to wear under breeches?
    More or less. The kind of boxer briefs I wear now are slightly thicker and a bit bulkier than others. They are fine under jeans, but with breeches, I think they'll be too much fabric and will feel weird under the thinner stretchy material. I'm not much for traditional panties, so I was hoping for some ideas.

And to some earlier posters: Comfort's the biggest factor for me. If the suggestions mentioned also deal with VPLs, all the better.
    The dude abides ...

My experience with the UA boyshorts:

I originally got them for wearing on patrol, because the underwear I was wearing at the time (Victoria Secret, don't remember the model) was giving me a wedgie from sliding in and out of the car for traffic stops. Nothing like being only partially focused on the job, when you can't stop thinking about the three inches of fabric in your butt crack.

My problem with them was that my thighs were bigger than my...uh...bikini area? No idea what to call it. But the part on the thigh would roll up into the slimmer area, where normal underwear stops, causing a roll of fabric. Ungood, tossed them in frustration.

I wear "hip huggers" in cotton from VS now, still have VPL when I ride though.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl