The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My horse takes off his front standing wraps!

I am looking for those plastic front wrap covers w/ little spikes on them to prevent my horse from un-wrapping his front legs. I don't want him to hurt his tendons by getting the bandages tangled in his stall and he has chewed up 2 pairs of standing wraps so far!

I can't find these anywhere. I tried looking at Dover, google-ed them... nothing. Can anyone help? I know racehorses wear them probably the most out of anyone.

Thanks!

Why does he need standing wraps?

Maybe he's trying to tell you something.

But here is the product you're looking for:

http://www.protectohorse.com/saver.html
    Click here before you buy.

Loch Ness Guest

I used to use cribox. My horse would end up with what looked like gel in his forelock, think Elvis, but said wraps lived on

Have you tried Rap-last, tabasco or cayenne pepper? Just don't inhale !

FYI: I have heard some horses that develop a palate for spicey things over time.

My weanlings LOVE the taste of Chew-Stop spray.
    Click here before you buy.

Wrap-last works well. But as someone said above- don't inhale!! (Also though it would be great to have on hand in the house in case of an intruder- to use like pepper spray...)

You could try a neck cradle or halter bib(horse version of an E-Collar{for dogs/cats}).

There is also a variety of vet wrap- type product that is "No Chew." You could use that to secure the wraps.

Does he have hay in front of him all of the time?

Default Leather bib ~ can still eat and drink but not disrobe ~

Leather bib snaps on and off halter ~

any tack store ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Red Hot Pepper Spray from Malvern Saddlery!

I show a lot of babies and some of them love to play the "take off the wraps game".......I have some with an amazing velcro fetish

If yours just undoes his velcro, try putting 2 twirls of electrical tape or masking tape around the the area where it velcros. Sometimes this is enough to deter them from playing with the velcro.
    * Magic Hill Farm, LLC
    www.MagicHillFarmLLC.com
    "Bridging the Gap Between the Hunter Breeding and Performance Rings in the US"

I have a dedicated wrap remover and when he had a bowed tendon and needed to be wrapped, it was a battle! Sprays didn't work -- not even Raplast -- as he'd find some little spot that didn't get sprayed and manage to get started there. He would pull the quilts out from under the bandages, then destroy them. I think he avoided the spray stuff by using just his teeth -- he's extremely clever!

A bib helped, but he eventually would outsmart it. Destroyed two bibs (one with help from his neighbor -- stuck it through the stall bars and I found the pieces in the neighbor's stall). If I had to do it again, I'd buy those wraps with the pokeys, shown earlier. I think he'd still figure out a way to get at the wraps, however.

My gelding loves to pull standing wraps off- I just use elastikon on the top (covering the velcro tab) and bottom (placed so half of the strip of elastikon is on the wrap and half directly on his leg) and he cannot get a good grip with his teeth. Solved the problem entirely but it was clear he pulled them off by grabbing the edges or velcro tab so might not work if they pull at the middle.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I use cayenne pepper in a vinegar water solution to suspend it - in a spray bottle. The cayenne while hot, also leaves an aftertaste on the mouth, so tended to be a reminder - I started working out spray recipes when I had a horse with a tramautic front leg injury, who insisted on spending hours pulling off his bandgaging. Took a few days of a 'hot mouth' but he eventually got the idea to cease and desist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Get the bib - it works. Don't mess around with all of that other crap because you'll end up getting the bib in the end - that's all that works.

Thanks everyone, I'm just going to get the bibs... sprays and pepper won't stop this guy! He is into everything. Once he even pulled a lunge whip in his stall and was poking it through a one inch hole terrifying his TB neighbor, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JstMyLuck3 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm just going to get the bibs... sprays and pepper won't stop this guy! He is into everything. Once he even pulled a lunge whip in his stall and was poking it through a one inch hole terrifying his TB neighbor, ugh.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by JstMyLuck3 View Post
    You almost owed me a new keyboard! lol

P.