The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bike Chain to Lock Saddle to Rack?

Has anyone here ever used a bike chain to secure a (jumping) saddle to a saddle rack? Any reason this would not work?

I'd like to know sooner rather than later, and I'd prefer not to go into details.

Thanks in advance!

Well, seeing as how there's no tire to loop the chain through, I'm not sure how you would go about it. Because you could just slip the saddle out. Even put through a stirrup leather, you can just yank it off/unbuckle it.

If I'm missing a way to secure it, please fill me in.

They DO make locking saddle racks, that have a "cage" that kinda encloses the saddle.

Edit: Thinking about it more...I guess if you have one of those metal racks, you could kinda loop it between the "rails" and then tighten it up (do they make bike chains that tighten?) so that it's securely strapped down to the rack. (I'm thinking coming up from the front over the pommel, back down behind the cantle, laced through the metal bars underneath.) Would be very afraid to damage the saddle though....why not just toss it in your trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Well, seeing as how there's no tire to loop the chain through, I'm not sure how you would go about it. Because you could just slip the saddle out. Even put through a stirrup leather, you can just yank it off/unbuckle it.

If I'm missing a way to secure it, please fill me in.

They DO make locking saddle racks, that have a "cage" that kinda encloses the saddle.

Edit: Thinking about it more...I guess if you have one of those metal racks, you could kinda loop it between the "rails" and then tighten it up (do they make bike chains that tighten?) so that it's securely strapped down to the rack. (I'm thinking coming up from the front over the pommel, back down behind the cantle, laced through the metal bars underneath.) Would be very afraid to damage the saddle though....why not just toss it in your trunk?
    Trunk is not large enough, and yes, it is a metal saddle rack. I was envisioning something similar to what you described as far as method of attaching it. I also worry about damage, though. Can't do a locking saddle rack, as I am not permitted to change what is already there (boarding barn).

What about using the "D"s on the front of the saddle. Maybe one of those vinyl covered cables and then link it around the rack.

You could get a saddle bag that zips up with two zipper tabs that come together and has handles. Maybe like this: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...ids=1003225480 Get a small padlock and lock the zipper tabs together, and then run the bike chain through the handles of the bag and the metal saddle rack. It makes sense in my head

I like the idea of using the Ds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamburger View Post
    What about using the "D"s on the front of the saddle. Maybe one of those vinyl covered cables and then link it around the rack.
    This would work, but all it would take is one dumbass would-be thief to yank really hard and pull your dee rings off.

FineAlready, if the issue is someone using your saddle but not stealing it, you could put the saddle in zip-up saddle bag that has two zippers, and then run a tiny luggage lock through the zippers.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the OP is having an issue with a borrower and not a thief. D rings would work but might be damaged if the saddle is pulled roughly from the rack. I like the cover idea better. Gets the message out with less risk of damage.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I like the cover idea too. you can lock the zipper so you cannot easily remove the saddle. Mine also has a carry handle on top of it so you could pass a locking cable through that and keep your saddle locked to the rack. This works very well to deter would be borrowers and may even deter a thief since they are usually after quick grabs.

I have this one: http://www.tackwholesale.com/premium...als-p-444.html
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Not having a current issue yet at all but...well...just found out about something that is likely going to be coming to pass very soon and now I have some serious concerns. More about actual theft than borrowing, unfortunately.

Might not be a problem. Unless history repeats itself, which, in my experience, it usually does.

Will probably want something more durable than the whole saddle bag idea (which is a great idea for a borrowing situation). Would be concerned about being able to cut the fabric too easily to remove the saddle. Same thing with the D-rings. Would be worried that the D-rings would just get ripped out and saddle would go off into the night sans D-rings.

You could run the chain under the flaps and through the holes by the stirrup bars. There is also the option of a figure-8 type arrangment of the chain through the saddle rack, cross over the top of the saddle, through the stirrup bar openings, and the lock after passing back through the saddle rack.

Hope that made sense.

Or get a bag and keep the saddle at home.

Christa

if it were me, rather than try to figure out a way to lock it up there (and risk damage) I'd probably just take it back and forth when I rode - which is easy enough if an English saddle, not so easy if Western.

Bike chain, back with chain, lock on D-rings, etc. all won't be perfect, *but* they WILL make your saddle more difficult to steal than the others. I'd imagine a thief would rather grab the saddle that's just hanging out there rather than one which might take some work to access. If they are inclined to put that much effort into taking a saddle which is chained to a rack, they would probably just screw the rack off the wall and take the whole contraption as one piece.

Really only fool-proof way is to bring the saddle home with you.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    if it were me, rather than try to figure out a way to lock it up there (and risk damage) I'd probably just take it back and forth when I rode - which is easy enough if an English saddle, not so easy if Western.
    Yeah, this may be what I end up doing. Sort of a pain, though. Plus, that would mean that it would have to sit in the trunk of my car in a public parking ramp while I am at work. Siiiigh.

At the end of the day, I may just end up taking the risk of leaving it there unlocked and hoping for the best. It is insured, at least.

Hopefully, I am just overreacting and what I am worried about won't be a problem at all. Fingers crossed, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Yup...if it's theft you're most worried about I'd carry it back and forth with me rather than leave it at the barn.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Default Locking english saddle rack

FineAlready you have a P M
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If someone wanted to steal it and it was attached to the saddle rack, wouldnt they just steal the saddle rack too and cut the lock off once they got home? Is the saddle rack somehow bolted to the floor? Im guessing, no.

If I was worried about it getting stolen, Id carry it back and forth. I carry my saddle to and from every time and its not that big a deal.

These are all good suggestions and I'd vote for leaving it in your car because it may be insured but the headache right before a show!

Also, a rappelling or offshore fishing store/supplier will do custom cable work at a low price. If you can think of a creative idea and have access to those types of suppliers, might be worth a look-around for ideas.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    These are all good suggestions and I'd vote for leaving it in your car because it may be insured but the headache right before a show!

Also, a rappelling or offshore fishing store/supplier will do custom cable work at a low price. If you can think of a creative idea and have access to those types of suppliers, might be worth a look-around for ideas.

Good luck!
    And who knows - you might just have an idea that you can market and sell.
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The wench in me would like to think about a way you can booby trap your saddle so there is significant maiming when the anticipated theft occurs. Maiming and maybe decapitation. I can't think of anything that isn't going to be really expensive and involve some super cool top secret area 51 or spy type stuff
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

If you have a credible report of potential theft then why won't the boarding stable either let you change the saddle rack to a locking one or deal with preventing the potential theft themselves?
    Can you change to a locking saddle rack and promise in writing to change the locking saddle rack back to their barn's saddle rack when you leave? Maybe offer a small deposit such as $25 so that if you don't do the work it is worth their time to replace the rack themselves?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)