The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,318

    Default Bootcut breeches - do the legs ride up?

    I just got a pair of Kerrits microcord bootcuts that were on sale on TOTD a bit back, and they fit beautifully except for being too long. (Like, I need to hem at least an inch or they'll be dragging in the dirt even when wearing paddock boots too long.)

    Since I'm going to have to do a bit of sewing anyway (which is not a huge deal - I have short legs, it's expected at this point in my life ) I'm wondering if I should stick some elastic loops on the bottoms, too, like you see on proper jodhpurs, to keep the leg from bunching up while riding.

    I've never had bootcut style breeches before, so I'm not sure if that's an actual problem or not, though. It just seems like it could potentially be an issue. (Asking before I start doing anything to them because it's much easier to just do it all in one go than to hem them and then go back and add the elastic, since I have to get out all my sewing stuff and put it all away each time.)

    (I should possibly add: I don't plan to wear these with half chaps, at least in the summer. The inner knee patch bit extends basically all the way down the calf on me, covering pretty much what a half chap would anyway, so why add an extra layer? But obviously, if worn with half chaps, the half chap would hold them in place.)



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    I just got a pair of Kerrits microcord bootcuts that were on sale on TOTD a bit back, and they fit beautifully except for being too long. (Like, I need to hem at least an inch or they'll be dragging in the dirt even when wearing paddock boots too long.)

    Since I'm going to have to do a bit of sewing anyway (which is not a huge deal - I have short legs, it's expected at this point in my life ) I'm wondering if I should stick some elastic loops on the bottoms, too, like you see on proper jodhpurs, to keep the leg from bunching up while riding.

    I've never had bootcut style breeches before, so I'm not sure if that's an actual problem or not, though. It just seems like it could potentially be an issue. (Asking before I start doing anything to them because it's much easier to just do it all in one go than to hem them and then go back and add the elastic, since I have to get out all my sewing stuff and put it all away each time.)

    (I should possibly add: I don't plan to wear these with half chaps, at least in the summer. The inner knee patch bit extends basically all the way down the calf on me, covering pretty much what a half chap would anyway, so why add an extra layer? But obviously, if worn with half chaps, the half chap would hold them in place.)
    I bought some great Ariat boot cut but they do ride up terribly. I was going to have the elastic put in as well.

    http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2000
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    35,301

    Default

    I have a pair of Riding Sport boot cut britches, which are also to long. but I just fold up the cuffs.

    If I am riding sloppily, so my heel goes up and down, THEN they ride up.

    But if I KEEP my heels down, they do not ride up.
    Janet

    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    808

    Default

    I ONLY ride in my Kerrits bootcuts when I ride in my western
    saddles- SOOO much more comfortable than jeans! Never had a problem with them riding up.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2009
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Agree, if you ride poorly they will ride up! They are a great test, much like riding with a pad when you are riding with no saddle. If you are balancing correctly the pad stays in place, if you ride like crap, the pad slips out!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    5,690

    Default

    OP, did you order them in R or L? Do you have unusually short legs? I have two pairs of them being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully they won't be too long...



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    OP, did you order them in R or L? Do you have unusually short legs? I have two pairs of them being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully they won't be too long...
    Regular, but I do have a short inseam for my height.

    (I'm 5'5" and inseam-wise inhabit an annoying zone where petites are generally a touch TOO short but most regular pants are a touch too long. I don't always bother to hem, but given the environment that one is generally wearing riding pants IN, I think I'd prefer they not actually touch the ground. )

    I have problems with tall boots being too tall, also - the bootcuts seem to be fine until the knee (the top of the knee patch hits just about where I'd expect it to, just above the knee so the wide area of protection/grip is on the knee itself but there isn't a lot of bulk above) but then I think my shins are shorter than Kerrits think they should be, so I end up with excess fabric down below where the extended patch ends.

    I think I will add elastic straps when I hem them - since I'm a re-rider there's a good chance my position will be a bit wobbly to start with and I don't want to add to that by having my breeches doing odd things.

    In any event, if they are too long, I think having them hemmed (even if you have to pay a professional) shouldn't be terribly expensive - there's no lining to fiddle with or anything like that, so it's just chopping them off, folding it up, and sewing it in place. The existing hems are just what looks like a double-needle top-stitching job, so there's not even any need to mess around with trying to keep the hem 'invisible' like you want on proper tailored pants.

    One thing I have just noticed - I got a pair of the breeches as well, and at least in the pairs I got, the bootcuts are a bit more of a muted 'latte' color compared to the breeches, which have a bit more tan to them. (Though if I remember right, both were CALLED 'latte' colored.) Dunno if that matters to anyone, but since they're both right here, I thought I'd mention it.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    If you look at the Kerrits Rideoutside breeches, they are bootcut, but the 'usual' elastics button in place so they can be removed.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    If you look at the Kerrits Rideoutside breeches, they are bootcut, but the 'usual' elastics button in place so they can be removed.
    Yeah, I was pondering some sort of arrangement like that. I may have to take a trip to a fabric store since I think all the elastic I have is the wimpy thin kind that wouldn't take much abuse anyway.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,232

    Default

    half chaps?



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    check Hartmeyers, World Champion or National bridle for underpasses. They usually come with either buttonholes or snaps (like for kids' gloves) and are fairly inexpensive.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    half chaps?
    Don't want to have to wear them in the summer if I can avoid it, just because of the extra layer issue - the patches on the bootcuts extend all the way down the inside of the calf to my ankle bone, so in theory that should be enough protection when it's too hot to think of wrapping ANOTHER layer of leather/suede/fake suede around my lower legs.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    7,333

    Default

    My Kerrits ride up a LOT. I was actually considering wearing some garter straps instead of having elastics dragging in the dirt to and from the barn.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    5,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    My Kerrits ride up a LOT. I was actually considering wearing some garter straps instead of having elastics dragging in the dirt to and from the barn.
    Duct tape. A wrap and a half around your ankle and you're good to go! Not the most stylish when you're using lime green duct tape, but it does the trick.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    3,964

    Default

    So none of these summer weight boot cut breeches come with elastics at the bottom? That's disappointing. No wonder they'll ride up. I have a pair of riding boot cut jeans and they do have an elastic to be worn inside the boot, over your sock. Works perfectly, but those jeans get hot in the summer!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 23, 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    Yeah, I was pondering some sort of arrangement like that. I may have to take a trip to a fabric store since I think all the elastic I have is the wimpy thin kind that wouldn't take much abuse anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    My Kerrits ride up a LOT. I was actually considering wearing some garter straps instead of having elastics dragging in the dirt to and from the barn.
    I have a few pair of bootcuts (bought in Iceland and Germany) that have the "wimpy thin" elastic attached fairly high up inside the pantleg so you can wear them under your sock and over your paddock boots (or not put it under your foot at all but not have it show). *Much* better than big elastic that you wear under your boot, which IME gets wet and foul, rots quickly, can wick moisture up your leg and is just gross if you take off your boots when you go in the house but don't immediately take off your breeches.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2004
    Location
    South Park
    Posts
    3,338

    Question

    I always just flip the elastic off the bottom of my boot as soon as I dismount. It then sits on top of the boot but under the pants, so not visible. (I do have the ones with the buttons so they rotate easily.)
    Does no one else do this?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.



Similar Threads

  1. Can we revisit bootcut breeches?
    By sophie in forum Off Course
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jun. 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Sep. 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
  3. Bootcut breeches - I don't get it.
    By Druid Acres in forum Off Course
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Sep. 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
  4. Kerrits biodynamic bootcut breeches?
    By onelanerode in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2009, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •