The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building an arena/barn

I need the vast experience of all COTH readers :-)
    (or at least the link if this was already talked about LOL )
    I'm building an indoor arena, attached barn and outdoor ring and more turnouts on our property.
    So now I need to add to my vast list of requirements. Weather you have your own barn or board, what do you like/dislike about the property. What would you do differently if you could change it.
    I jump so I think I need a min. of 72 ft wide for the indoor. (My dream would be a 80 x 200 but that won't happen LOL ) 150 ft long would be nice, but I think 140 ft is doable.
    Outdoor would be 100 x 200 if I can. May not be able to afford the footing for the outdoor yet, so thinking of just grading the outdoor for now. The area is just brushhogged and very rough ground, tricky to ride on.
    I looked into a CoverAll, but the bankruptcy troubles me, although I so love the lightness of them.
    All ideas are welcomed. Thank you

I would think seriously about what you want to do with your indoor. For example, if you think you might want to earn income holding schooling shows, be sure it is big enough to hold a regulation dressage ring or a jump course. Or if you are just doing lessons, how many people in the group? At what levels. Get the biggest space you can afford. Also think about parking. You will need more parking than you think.

No indoor for us yet, but it is in the plans. The outdoor has been around for 10 years and is holding up well. It has good footing and that has made all the difference.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

There are fabric structures to look into that aren't going bankrupt. Check out http://www.farmtek.com They have a whole line of structures in all sorts of sizes...even if you don't see the size you're looking for on the website, give them a call, very nice and helpful. (Haven't ordered an indoor from them but lots of other farm things!)
    Well isn't this dandy?

My barn has a fabric arena (not sure who made it). It is wonderful and bright. It also suffered almost NO damage under this season's heavy New England snows. In fact, we are now home to another trainer's business because their indoor collapsed.

I'm now a huge fan of the fabric building.

If they're done right, they're fabulous. Ugly as hell from the outside, but about one of the most pleasant spaces from the inside.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

Just wanted to add to Ironwood...
    I enjoyed looking at your farm site, and wanted to comment on what a clear, concise job you have done in outlining your boarder rules. Some really good stuff there!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Not sure what part of the country you are in but we get a mean north wind in the winter that blows water and wind in our arena. The water has to go somewhere so just be ready for all that water coming off the roof. I've seen many flooded parking lots, walk-ways, and adjoining paddocks at area barns.

So plan for water and you can hire a hydrologist from your local college to help with ideas for a reasonable price if warranted.

Also agree with going big, at least for a dressage arena - 20x60 meters.

Tks everyone, keep the ideas coming

I know 2 people who have CoverAlls, they both love it, but not sure what will happen to their warranties
    I do have a FarmTek (Clear Span) rep. coming over for an estimate
    No shows on my property, not zoned for it. I give very few lessons and never more than 2 at a time
    I've ridden in a 20 x 40 m indoor, absolutely hated it :-)
    Thinking 72 x 150 ft
    I really will need to think about the water runoff 'cause of the probable location of the barn/indoor

Yes, and you will get a tremendous amount of water next to your footing because of the roof. I have seen several new arenas (and old) with flooding issues from the roof runoff--even with lots of grading and higher ground. Particular issue around side doors. French drains + gravel or gutters take care of it.

I would go 150 long + for jumping if you can. My old BO's barn was 145 x 70 but there was stuff at one end, so really it was 135 x 70 and that was very tight for jumping any kind of grid, etc.

It is different if the indoor is just for a few months and largely you use an all-weather footing outdoor. Then I think small is ok.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My covered (not totally enclosed) arena roof is 110' x 160', the arena riding area is 100' x 150' . It is wide enough to do some nice turns and long enough for a combination. For a full course I would like it to be a little longer. Unfortunately several gorgeous 100 year old oak trees limited how long I could make the arena.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36. What a beautiful arena! sm.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	32426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arena at night.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	32427  
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I know there are several recent threads about this cuz I wrote a really long response recently. Dont' know how to search for it though.

tveley: love your arena!

Tks everyone, and tks for the link, confirming lots of things from that, and thinking of new ones. And it's recent too, a plus
    I can't have an 'open' indoor, we get wicked winters
    Between the S side sun exposure, the winter prevailing winds, and the summer breeze. my indoor/barn would face backyards to the house/front of the property ?? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by tveley View Post
    My covered (not totally enclosed) arena roof is 110' x 160', the arena riding area is 100' x 150' . It is wide enough to do some nice turns and long enough for a combination. For a full course I would like it to be a little longer. Unfortunately several gorgeous 100 year old oak trees limited how long I could make the arena.
    beautiful arena! looking at doing one around the same size - who built yours?? were they super expensive?

I used to ride at a barn with a coverall and it was quite a scary experience. I thought it was going to fall on my whenever it was windy/raining/snowy...and the horses thought so too...traditional indoors for me
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!