The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can knee rolls be replaced?

I am looking at a very nice used saddle (originally worth $$$) that is in great shape except for the padded suede knee rolls on the flap. They're functional at the moment but not in good shape at all. I'm curious if it's possible to have the suede replaced (ideally with leather)?

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Anyone?

Caitlin
    Caitlin

Yes, they can be replaced. I'd imagine that you'd have a good saddle repair shop in Louisville that can do it.

I have the same problem. I was told by tack repair shop that it would not be worth doing unless it really interfered with your riding. She didn't give me a price though.

Well, I tried that once and the rep for the manufacturer thought it's possible, but once they had the saddle in the shop they said it wouldn't work. So I guess "it depends"? But probably not easily or inexpensively done.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

It's generally not cheap & not frequently done on resale saddles but I have seen several saddles (during this last year's slightly obsessive search) which had the knee pads/rolls replaced (these saddles were at shops such as Running Fox, CWD Sellier, FineUsedSaddles etc)

This thread has some prices quoted.

Thanks guys...alto, I totally missed that thread, good info. This saddle was originally worth quite a bit, and I think it would be feasible to put a few hundred dollars into it but...$500+? Probably not. I wonder if the $440 quoted by Beval is for both knee rolls or just one.

Caitlin
    Caitlin

Yes, we can do them. I work with my neighbour Cindy Corwin who has been repairing tack locally for 30 years. I do the saddle fitting, she does the repairs. I have had them done on ebay cheapies, ancient $300 Stubbens, so I know it's not all that expensive, although I can't for the life of me think what she charged me last time ... maybe $75 for each ? The actual repair isn't particularly challenging - it's just finding someone who has a fully equipped shop because you have to have the leather in stock, and both hand and machine tools etc.

I've been very lucky with USPS for posting saddles - less than $20 each way for KY to where we are near Knoxville, TN, so the total cost would be $200 - it's not cheap, but a lot less than 500 !

Perhaps you could ask around for a local saddle repairer ? Talk to the western people.

p.s. please PM me before agreeing to any repairs done by Beval.