The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare on Mare Stare <-----Had a beautiful colt

Last edited by Joanne; Apr. 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

She is big all right.

I'm afraid my mare will be just as big. She's huge now and still has 2 months left.

My mare IS that big or perhaps bigger and she has a ways to go still.

she's rolling!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

I really hope tonight is not the night but Beeza is acting funny
    http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=bluebirdhill

It's COLD and to early
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

She's dripping milk, but still hasn't popped. Eegads!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Ach! She's got another one right up there with Hailey: http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=gvf2

What are the chances that two foals could come on the same night/same time? Busy place!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Ach! She's got another one right up there with Hailey: http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=gvf2

What are the chances that two foals could come on the same night/same time? Busy place!
    this one is down right now and has been biting at her side!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Are you getting a freeze on the video? It freezes on me for about 5 seconds or so, then she moves, then it freezes for about 5 seconds.....

Probably better than the 5 that came at my place one night years ago....half of the entire foal crop in one night between 1a.m. and about 6a.m.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Ach!
    That happened to Blazing Colours (FaithCremello here) last year. They were all busy helping a foal get up (he ended up at the horsepital) and people were phoning her saying "the mare is foaling" and she was saying "yes, we know, we are there helping!". "NO, the WHITE mare is foaling..." It was funny to see some of them rush to the other barn, dump the straw and here was the foal!!

I am watching the Glenhill cams mostly, but my barn alarm is on. I just avoid the minis!

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    Probably better than the 5 that came at my place one night years ago....half of the entire foal crop in one night between 1a.m. and about 6a.m.
    Holy Moly! Hope you had lotsa hands... on hand

So far, neither of the above mares have foaled... yet!

Just checked.................the giant mare hasn't foaled. Hope that they have plasma or colostrum on hand if she's been dripping milk this whole time!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Holy Moly! Hope you had lotsa hands... on hand

So far, neither of the above mares have foaled... yet!
    Just me and my two kids.
    I checked mares in the middle of the afternoon and brought two in from the fields as they were really soft and beginning to wax. Two others were just kind of hanging out but not waxed and not really soft so left them. 5th one was willing to run off (165 acres) and not be checked so I figured she wasn't all that ready. Put two into stalls and set everyone's alarm clocks (kids and I did every two hour checks but only one of us got up at any one time so the other two could sleep a bit...back before foal cams....and both kids....age 19 and 12......had been around foal deliveries for about 5-6 years at that point)....thinking, as I went to bed, "two foals...can do that".

Midnight check, one in stall beginning to drip, second in stall waxed heavy. Three in field kind of hanging near the gate to the big corral but nothing going on.

1a..I wake up hearing brand new baby whickers and mare baby talk...under my bedroom window which looked out on the field. Jumped up, bathrobe, boots and flashlight. Got out there and first sight is palomino foal laying all nice and chestnut mare (one of the ones hanging around the gate earlier) is standing over it and baby talking. OK!! Climbed through the fence and went to check on things and put my hand on mares belly to lean over/under and check for milk production and my hand feels a baby kick..WTF? Looking around with flashlight and see liver chestnut maiden (the one that was happy to run off during the afternoon check) standing over near a tree with membranes hanging from her and a puzzled look on her face. Seems the lighter chestnut mare (#2 in the herd) had decided this was HER foal and she (liver ch) was fairly low in the herd structure and said "uh, OK". Called for the older kid and he got two halters/leads, got the lighter chestnut mare haltered and tied and halter on the mom, picked up her foal and headed to the barn with mare following on a lead. Got them settled (she turned into an awesome mom, willing to nurse anything). While in the barn checked on the two in there and big red mare was down and pushing...YIKES. Got her delivered and sent kid out to untie the one we'd left out side (almost forgot about he!) and into a pen. Turned around to find #3 (in a stall) going down and about that time other kid had gotten up with his alarm clock and seeing barn lights on and the two of us out there he came out...and walked into the barn to tell me that #4 (still in the field) had laid down by the gate and water broke....dash out there and she's too far to get up and bring in....waited for that one to arrive and moved that mom and baby into pen. #5 (the one who tried to steal the first one's foal) waited until almost 6 to drop hers. All did well, younger son got to school, I got to work on time (not that I was worth much) and older son had the day to play with babies...had all haltered and leading sort of by the time I got home.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Some serious activity.

Dang! Missed it. I've been watching her for days. Everything looks ok though? Colt or filly? Does this farm post here?

The birth happened about 10 minutes after I posted. It's a colt. I don't know this farm. Seems his very beautiful daddy passed away last year.

Please jingle for the Tintagel mare, Taxes, who foaled three nights ago. She delivered a beautiful filly, but is now at Tufts due to an infection, probably caused by bits of retained placenta. She is an amazing palomino clydesdale!! Same barn had another filly last night, from a light coloured shire mare. Amazing horses!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tintagel-Enterprises-Ltd/338399790356?ref=ts#!/album.php?id=338399790356&aid=639411

and the new filly:
    http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=tintagel2

I've watched Taxes and her filly - so sorry to hear she's having trouble!!! Mad jingles for her!