The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How the heck do you keep these from sliding down?

I recently bought a pair of the Back on Track hock boots. I believe they are standard horse size, maybe a medium? My horse is a 16 hand TB, I would say of average build. For the life of me, I can't get these things to stay in place for the half hour or so that my horse wears them before being ridden, while in the cross ties. Granted, he does NOT enjoy wearing them and so fusses about a bit with some hind leg maneuvers, but otherwise stands completely still. The boots *seem* to fit to me, they wrap all the way around so that the ends do meet up. I think I am velcroeing them tight enough, any more and I worry about them being too tight. Any advice users of these boots can suggest?

On the upside, they do seem to be helping

I don't have any trouble keeping them on even overnight so I wonder if they don't fit or you aren't putting them on correctly. In general you can put standing wraps on underneath but that shouldn't be necessary especially for that short of a period of time.

Laurierace, how do you put them on? Maybe I am doing something wrong. My package that contained the boots did not have any instructions that explained exactly how to put them on. I like to think I could figure it out, but maybe not. I put them on such that the words "Back on Track" are facing out, so that one can read it from the side of the horse, and the words are right side up. I have the cut-out fitting over the point of the hock. Should the ends overlap on a properly fitted pair? How tight are you making yours? Do you start fastening the velcro in a particular order?

The Back On Track logo goes on the outside and you read it from front of the horse to back of the horse which it sounds like you are doing. All straps are on the outside and point towards the back of the horse except the top strap that goes pretty much the whole way around. The hole is towards the top of the back of the boot. Mine do not overlap in the front if that is what you mean. When I first put them on the front has a gap of about 3/4 of an inch. I adjust the straps several times gently until the gap is closed. So basically just put them on however then refine it by snugging each strap a little at a time.

I think hock boots can be really tricky to get to stay up! Lilly used to wear a leather set in the trailer, and they always used to shift a bit. I found that doing a single wrap of vet wrap around the top of the hock gave them something to grip. You can reuse the same bit a few times.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default Back On Track Products

BOT offers two styles of hock boots. One is completly closes and the other has a hole in the back for the point of the hock and will serve to keep the boot more securely on the horses hock than the one without the hole. The best way I have found to keep hock boots on is to use a standing wrap below the hock boot so it stays up. I purchased the BOT hock boots without the holes in the back and mine will not stay up for anything. Completely a waste of money. I later found the same boot with the holes in the back. Go figure!

We have the boots with holes in the back. We velcro them tight and they stay put just fine.
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA