The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheapest Tekna A8? (And reviews?)

So my birthday is coming up and I'm toying with the idea of having a few people pool together and get me a Tekna a8. I haven't actually ridden in one (trying to track down a demo) but have seen them in person and they're quite lovely.

My local tack shop is having a sale which would bring the A8 down to $450. Wondering if there is anywhere (even if I have to wait a few weeks for a sale) that might have it cheaper?

Also, I'm more than interested to hear any reviews from anyone who's actually ridden in one!

Happy Birthday!!

I'd like to hear reviews also. Looking to fit a TB with good withers and sloped back shoulders. What tack shop? That's a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSue View Post
    Happy Birthday!!

I'd like to hear reviews also. Looking to fit a TB with good withers and sloped back shoulders. What tack shop? That's a good price.
    http://www.cheshirehorse.com

Super, super place. A quick COTH search on here will turn up lots of good reviews...I'm lucky enough to live local! From March 31st to April 4th (I think!) they are having a big spring sale, with 15% off all saddles. So the Tekna a8 is listed at $525 on their website, 15% chops like $80 off the price.

I would totes get a Tekna Saddle. It is built on a Prestige tree. Prestige saddles work on horses with a 'substantial' wither. The point billets and Y billet evenly distribute the weight of the saddle over the horse's back.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I was also looking for some reviews too! I found several of these saddles at multiple tack shops that I like, there all around $400-$500. I bought a super cheap saddle a little while ago, and it is super soft, but I'm not too fond of the fit of it on my horses... What brands of saddles do most of you guys use?

I have a Tekna. LOVE it. I spent a few years trying to find a saddle i could afford that would fit my wider backed welsh Cob AND me... I came close a couple times, one would fit her and not me, or me PERFECT and not her... I spent tons in trials and cant even tell you everything i've sat in at this point from cheap to as expensive as it gets, treeless to not, cause i was getting desperate. I had actually given up and started driving more. But a couple months ago i was working some horses for a friend of mine and needed something that fit me better that would hopefully suit several back types. I took a chance and bought the Tekna from Victory Canter, which came with a trial period. Instant love, bonus, it even fits my welsh cob that i couldnt fit forever, and in a MW tree even. If her back develops more, i can have it widened, better bonus, and thus far, it's fit everything i've sat it on. It looks great, wears great, low maintenance, fit's me well (Feels very close to the Prestige Gallileo i tried), it doesnt lock me in, doesnt tip me forward, but has enough depth of seat and knee roll to give me assistance when i need it. It has a MW twist to me, it doesnt hinder me at all, and i have major rubbing issues in a lot of saddles, which this does not bother me in that regard either.

It has a front point billet if you have something wider with a forward girth groove like my welsh cob, most saddles ride forward on her, but this one stays put. The panels flare upwards at the back, more banana shaped, than the modern flatter panels that flare out in points over the loin, so i find this one will fit more back types, short or long backs, wide or narrow... Good channel clearance. I havent had it rock on anything. I use it on my 13h refined section B welsh on up to 17h american warmbloods with wide backs.

The only thing i dont like about it is that i ordered the tekna leathers and they are stiff as all get out. So one day i'll replace them, but at the same time, they are easy to care for too and i'm not big on taking time to clean things lately...

The other thing is that unlike leather, i find it stays a bit colder this time of year rather than warming up to your body temperature. It's not terrible with my winter breeches.

No one will notice it's not leather and it doesnt squeak like the non "suede" wintecs will. Very nicely done with the details, it really does look like a higher end saddle, even up close. I was very surprised.

I have the Tekna jump model on my wish list and would really like a couple of the bridles. They also just came out with a childs dressage model that looks very nice.

Bump

any more reviews?

I had a throwgood that didnt work for me , comparing them whats the difference
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Didd anyone use these saddle for showing/showjumping low level?

I have the brown Tekna A8 that I ordered special from Cheshire Horse. They sent me out a demo to try before ordering it as well. I would completely buy another one. Great quality for the price.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

There are some listed on ebay for 429.99 with free shipping, but they won't allow a trial. I'm interested to hear reviews as I've been thinking about getting one for a hacking/ back up saddle but have yet to sit in any.

Here's a used one:
    http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/dress...Used14314.html

I know Pelham has a great trial policy.

This is a timely thread for me as I'm just starting to window-shop for a new saddle. I only just recently heard about this brand of saddle from another thread here on COTH - and oh man am I in love! I want to see one in person.

I'm going to be using the new saddle I'll eventually buy this year to start my baby (who will debut in the Dressage ring next year), so it's encouraging to hear it fits a lot of different backs - since hers will be changing, and changing, and changing some more as time goes by!

Keep the reviews coming!