The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

TVOR Guest

Default Relocating to White Plains NY

My Husband is going to be transfered to White Plains, NY. I own 3 horses. Any suggestions on what towns/facilities to look at for either boarding or maybe a small place of our own? I am completely unfamiliar with the area and have no idea where to start looking...

There are many folks on this board who should be able to help you out. I can't say much other than make sure to pack a VERY fat checkbook! Try posting this in Hunter/Jumper and you may get some more responses.

It really depends on what you want to spend - and what type of facility you are looking for. North Salem is only about twenty five minutes away from WP - but it is expensive to live there.... amazing horse country though. Bedford, NY is closer to WP, but again also expensive.. you really wont find board for under $1,000 any where down here. And, the nicer facilities are considerably (more than double) more. You could also go up into CT - a lot of facilities there - some times more reasonable priced, unless you are near the coast. List what you want (you can pm me) and I can give you some names.

buying horse property in this area of NY will run in the millions (maybe in the high hundreds if your husband is willing to commute over an hour)

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am in Fairfield county, CT, about 45 minutes north of White Plains. This whole area is *very* horsey! Tell us more about what you'd be looking for (type of riding, whether you need/want an indoor, etc) and I'm sure we can steer you in the right direction.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Riverdale Equestion center - in the Bronx, albeit in the park.
    River Ridge and Twin lakes - in eastchester (probably listed as in Bronxville)
    Kentucky fields(?) (near Scarsdale Riding Academy)
    BoulderBrook - scarsdale
    Sleepy Hollow country club (pleasantville)
    FoxRidge stable (pleasantville)
    Pelham bit (Bronx)

Here is a more thorough link, http://www.animal-link.org/riding.shtml.
    But absolutely visit before you move, as there are wildly varying degrees of upkeep in the list. The ones I listed are in/very near white plains.
    With three horses I don't expect you will be boarding at any of these.
    It is very very expensive at the better stables, $2500 per horse but maybe things have changed in this economic climate. Further upstate and Connecticut are better suggestions.

The Bronx is not anyplace you'd want to board. Or live. You won't find a GOOD barn near White Plains for under $1500/month with no frills.

My brother rides in Dutchess County (he lives in Mamaroneck.) Board is in the $600 vicinity at middle-level h/j barn (he doesn't board, just rides other people's.) It's about an hour from where he lives but much bigger facilities. Westchester has staggering taxes even for NY so there's no way to have a barn for under $1000/horse/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Riverdale Equestion center - in the Bronx, albeit in the park.
    River Ridge and Twin lakes - in eastchester (probably listed as in Bronxville)
    Kentucky fields(?) (near Scarsdale Riding Academy)
    BoulderBrook - scarsdale
    Sleepy Hollow country club (pleasantville)
    FoxRidge stable (pleasantville)
    Pelham bit (Bronx)

Here is a more thorough link, http://www.animal-link.org/riding.shtml.
    But absolutely visit before you move, as there are wildly varying degrees of upkeep in the list. The ones I listed are in/very near white plains.
    With three horses I don't expect you will be boarding at any of these.
    It is very very expensive at the better stables, $2500 per horse but maybe things have changed in this economic climate. Further upstate and Connecticut are better
    suggestions.

Know all of these quite well, but wouldn't recommend them for various reasons - --the most important IMO, with the exception of Sleepy Hollow, is NO turnout. Sleepy Hollow is only about fifteen minutes from White Plains.

There are also many, many,many more options than what you can find listed on the web.

And I don't think, actually I know, not much has changed as far as board pricing due to the economy (unfortunately for me).

When we moved to that area, we started off looking at places in Westchester, but soon moved our focus a little further north--we ended up living in Brewster (direct train line to White Plains), and boarding in Ridgefield, CT, and also up in Duchess County.

I think I found my first barn through the PennySaver There are all kinds of options available. As always, some great, some dire.

I can't point you at anything specific any more as it is some years since we left that area and no doubt much has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorybee View Post
    Know all of these quite well, but wouldn't recommend them for various reasons - --the most important IMO, with the exception of Sleepy Hollow, is NO turnout. Sleepy Hollow is only about fifteen minutes from White Plains.
    Fox Hill has turnout, I think more than Sleepy Hollow and two indoor rings. Just saying( and I grew up riding at Sleepy Hollow and loved it). And no, some of those barns on that list I would not recommend, I just listed them because they are in the area.

Definitely I would live elsewhere, and your husband commutes. As others have said, you can live up in Brewster/Patterson, NY area and either board or have a place of your own, or you can live in CT (like Brookfield, Newtown, etc and have a place of your own). You could also live in Rockland County, across the Tappan Zee, although I am not familiar with the area, so don't know what the prices would be for boarding, horse property, etc.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by WishIWereRiding View Post
    Definitely I would live elsewhere, and your husband commutes. As others have said, you can live up in Brewster/Patterson, NY area and either board or have a place of your own, or you can live in CT (like Brookfield, Newtown, etc and have a place of your own). You could also live in Rockland County, across the Tappan Zee, although I am not familiar with the area, so don't know what the prices would be for boarding, horse property, etc.
    White Plains would be an awful commute from the Newtown area (or Brookfield) unfortunately. It's 45 minutes without traffic and at least double that during rush hour, one way. Even Brewster would be tough, and sadly I don't think it's much less expensive.

I live in Newtown and love it, but although there are tons of horses in the area, it's unfortunately very pricey. I keep my horse in a LNT's barn that offers good care at a decent facility, but although my bill is routinely north of $2K a month, there is nothing stellar about it. It's clean, it's safe, and the other clients are very nice... in any other part of the world the cost would be pretty modest. There is a much nicer facility - staffed with BNTs - right around the corner from me. I'd love to keep my horse there but board alone there is $2K, never mind lessons and showing. I can't imagine the bill for boarding 3 at those prices!

If I were in the OP's situation, I might haunt the local tack stores and maybe Equinesite looking for a private barn situation. The big downside is that most of those don't have indoor facilities, of course, which can make riding really difficult this time of year. Without knowing more about what the OP is looking for (just boarding? training? showing?) it is hard to make more specific recommendations.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you can afford it, horse properties with three-stall barns on 2-5 acres can be had in North Salem for between 900k and three million, depending on how close you are to the trails (which are fantastic, btw). Bedford supposedly has good trails as well, though I suspect its marginal proximity to NYC means the property prices are more expensive.

Further north, you have Pawling and Millbrook, which are superb horsey areas.

OP, if you end up thinking about boarding in Dutchess County (1 hour from White Plains, I'd guess? I'm at the northern end of the county and it is about 1 1/2 hours to White Plains for me) I could help with some recommendations. I do know a number of people who do this.

What sort of place are you looking for? What kind of riding do you do?

I live right near there and would be happy to talk about living and boarding options with you. Feel free to pm me.

It might also help if you let everyone know what sort of barn you are interested in. The area is predominantly H/J, with some dressage barns, some eventing barns, and a few places that foxhunt. If you're in one of the main disciplines, what level and amount of showing are you looking for?

Most of the reining people are to our west, but not totally out of reach.

As far as purchasing, you can pick up a small piece of property for a million outside of the hottest areas. Something already built up with a ring or more land will be more.

Actually, right outside of Westchester (in Putnam County) you will find the most reasonable board and prices at Zephyr Farm in Mahopac, NY. It's only 10 minutes from North Salem, NY. Probably the only legitimate and quality barn in this area that you can find board for under and around 1000.

Carla Sacco owns and runs Zephyr and is extremely knowledgeable and honest.

I think you will find that property prices in Bedford and environs have dropped a lot in the last couple of years- but still high.

I am on the other end of that, selling my late father's 4 acres on Guard Hill Rd.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I think you will find that property prices in Bedford and environs have dropped a lot in the last couple of years- but still high.

I am on the other end of that, selling my late father's 4 acres on Guard Hill Rd.
    yes, dropped but still high! one farm went for 3.5 instead of 6 mill - huge drop and huge price. Guard Hill is AMAZING - nothing else to be said about that!

let me know if you're interested in the rhinebeck area. my grilfriened has a 3bdrm rental and horse space for rent. it's very modest, but she's a good horsekeeper and good people.
    commuter trains are nearby and she lives on a great trail system too.