The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper

Just spent $450 on new protective vests for daughters! Both outgrew theirs at the same time.

It is only money I told myself at the checkout.

Try showing hunters.

Flutie,

hee hee hee

Either you have a lot of daughters or you spent more money on vests than you really HAD to. But I sympathize with the sport being a money pit! I often feel like I am just asked to fork it all over and who cares what sacrifices that will entail.

I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I often feel like I am just asked to fork it all over and who cares what sacrifices that will entail.
    I don't mean to sound callous, but eventing (and horses, in general) is a luxury that no one is required to undertake. It is completely optional -- we do it because we love it, and make sacrifices of time and money along the way. Some make more sacrifices than others, but generally speaking, we are all pretty lucky.

"Who" are you referring to in your post that require you to "fork it over" with no regard to your sacrifices? No one is asking anyone to "fork it over" and NO ONE is getting rich.

We ALL sacrifice to some degree, to do what we do (oh, how I wish I were a trust fund baby). For some, that means they can't even own a horse. For others, they may not be able to afford training and showing. Personally, the economy has affected my industry very hard and it has required prioritization and yes, even sacrifices but I still feel exceeding lucky to be a part of this sport, in whatever ways I am able to, at any given time.

Sorry if I sound grumpy, but this type of "woe is me" thread, where the anonymous "they" are making the sport too expensive drives me crazy. Organizers are putting together shows on shoestring budgets with sweat equity and profits (if any) going back into the facilities, courses, and shows. Equipment is equipment -- shop around for the best deal, share equipment, or buy used. Vets, Farriers and trainers are not getting rich off of you. Prioritize, budget, and make the right decisions for you... no one but you is making you do anything.

... Seriously.

SevenDogs, I think I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Glad somebody does!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Big Grey Hunter, I LOVE your sig. SevenDogs, I also love you as well Great post.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

SevenDogs is my hero!!!!!!!!!! So well said ......

hmmm, I kind of thought wildlifer was talking about her children who didn't appreciate where the money came from. In which case, I'd make them aware and thankful or they don't have to compete.

No, I don't have any kids, but geez, certainly didn't mean I was blaming anyone. My apologies, please don't take it as anything more than a light internet bemoaning of the fact that the thing that I love to do more than anything sucks the living bejeezus out of my imaginary wisp of a bank account. Yes, it is a choice, we all know that, and people on all ends of the sport work hard to keep doing it. Just because someone occasionally gives vent to some financial frustration does not mean that work is unappreciated. Carry on...

I agree its the pits how expensive horses are. I am a full time working college student. I am lucky enough to board my horse where I work so I would not be able to afford to compete. I don't really do much else. I hang out with friends but economy style (the matinee is a favorite of mine). It's not a big sacrifice though. I am lucky enough to have something going for me that I love. Many of my college friends have nothing like this going for themselves.

So yeah I fork out a lot of money for it, but I think it keeps me dedicated. And it sorts out the people that really want to have horses and compete, from the ones that don't.

Default Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper?

In answer to the original question, which is, "Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper?", I'll suggest that in some instances, it can.

If you have kids, there are always used protective vests (and other riding wear) to be found. Hook into the pony club, USEA classifieds, your trainer or even a good 4-H club. It takes effort to be connected and part of an eventing community. You can either invest that effort, or you can pay full price retail. If you can afford it, great. If not and you mention it, you are likely to get the response you got from some people here.

Whenever I post an outgrown vest even just on my site it is gone in a day. I have bought or sold them for 50-100 bucks for my clients. There are lots of ways to make this sport less expensive if you are creative and connected to people.

The latest and greatest and color-coordinated and newest costs big money. The serviceable and proven and storied equipment can usually be had for much less and perform just as well. It just takes kicking the ego to the curb.

You better care, 7dogs, about how much this sport costs. Because as long as it's pricey, it gets marginalized. And then there will be a more and more narrow future for it. So, the OP has a real point!!

It may be a luxury to you, but then again, you can say just about ANYTHING we participate in is! Believe me, most people don't kill themselves at the job, run home and sit dead still in their house until the next morning to go do their paying job again. They actually DO something with their lives -- and that 'do' is your so-called luxury, an activity beyond food/shelter/clothing/health.

Sorry to be testy with your post, but that some activities are made cheap through my taxes, while others are marginalized annoys me. A lot. A lot of sports/municipal offerings are underwritten by my taxes, and I don't like it. I don't want to pay for many of the things me and mine don't participate in -- as no one underwrites MY choices -- esp. for sports no one plays past the age of 22, like soccer. Horses are a lifelong sport, you learn to care for another, and you are out in Nature (not artificial turf). I don't want to pay for anyone's kid playing soccer. It's a baby-sitter sport for parents who don't want to be parents.

IOW, horse sports, as long as they have an image of expensive, and the middle-class continues to reach for the cheap programs, will never be mainstream. And so costs will never reduce. If you want your costs to be normalized, then you have to allow for VOLUME (lots of participants). As long as they aren't mainstream, they will get shrunken by the influx of 'cheap' sports, and costs -- as the OP is trying to point out -- will go up, receive no media coverage, and the cycle continues.

So, the OP has a deeper point here if you bothered to listen for it. Also, I agree, she is allowed to vent. That's all it really was

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineC View Post
    Just spent $450 on new protective vests for daughters! Both outgrew theirs at the same time.

It is only money I told myself at the checkout.
    I spent $300 last year on the only vest that fit the kid (out of 4 brands & 7 styles available at local shops) - even then, had to have another size special-ordered in from the company (who were lovely to deal with & correct in their insistence that the smaller size was The One); the upside is that it's worn almost every ride so when considered on a cost per use basis, it's a stealofadeal

This is a very good question.
    Seven Dogs you are very wrong and only right in one point, horses are a luxury in 99% of all cases.
    The cost of the sport has increased many folds above standard inflation and I have not seen a single atemped to rein this hyper inflation in.
    Oposit, most new rules have increased the cost. Than the exspectations concerning shows have sky rocket, from jump design, safety devices, footing, stabling hosting, decoration etc.
    Welcome to the hunter world of eventing.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but I stand behind my post 100%.

I notice Cyberbay offered absolutely no suggestions on where he/she thinks costs can be reduce, unless he/she is advocating tax supported equestrian sports (which I hope is not the case, but it was hard to tell in all the ranting).

Gnep, I will agree that some rule changes have raised the costs of competing, but, I don't think they should be repealed (e.g. mandatory vests, licenses course designers, etc) as a way to save money. What rules would you repeal, in order to reduce costs?

I hear complaining, but not real constructive solutions proposed....

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    I don't mean to sound callous, but eventing (and horses, in general) is a luxury that no one is required to undertake. It is completely optional -- we do it because we love it, and make sacrifices of time and money along the way. Some make more sacrifices than others, but generally speaking, we are all pretty lucky.

We ALL sacrifice to some degree, to do what we do (oh, how I wish I were a trust fund baby). For some, that means they can't even own a horse. For others, they may not be able to afford training and showing. Personally, the economy has affected my industry very hard and it has required prioritization and yes, even sacrifices but I still feel exceeding lucky to be a part of this sport, in whatever ways I am able to, at any given time.

^^^ That last part, especially!!

I have been hit very hard by the economy and loss of my (very well-paying) job. I still have my horse and I work very hard to keep him, which means this year, fewer lessons and less competition than in previous years. I am happy I have managed to hang onto my horse... a look at the horses at Camelot and New Holland shows not every one is as lucky as I am.

just my .02....

Than the exspectations concerning shows have sky rocket, from jump design, safety devices, footing, stabling hosting,
    Hmm, I'm not really sure I'd care to chuck any improvements or focus on good footing, safety, and safe stabling to go back to some nebulous "good old days". The old saying "quality doesn't cost, it pays" is relevant. Vet bills from crappy footing, bad stabling, and unsafe jumps are a whole lot more painful to pay than entry fees. At least with entry fees you get a happy little buzz when you drop the envelope in the mailbox!

There's nothing that says we all have to compete with the newest, coolest, and fanciest equipment. With some exceptions, a lot of stuff can be gotten used and a lot of the STUFF eventers use is really kind of superfluous: three bridles, two saddles, four saddle pads, two helmets, two jackets, horse clothing galore . . . it adds up, and much of it is not strictly necessary.

I will say that I think the "replace your helmet every five years" shtick is a bit of a racket. SOUNDS plausible, but I've never seen one SHRED of evidence showing me WHY this needs to be done. But if I mention this to people, and the fact that I use a *GASP* seven year old helmet for dressage and SJ, I get the hairy eyeball: "aren't you always going on about helmets?"

Totally OK to vent, but sometimes we do need a realignment of what are NEEDS and what are WANTS in life. Since almost none of us can have it all, we make choices. Whether it's free time, money, job happiness, geography . . . everyone compromises somehow, somewhere if they have a passion, be it expensive or not.
    Click here before you buy.