The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Micklem Bridle

Does anyone have any experience with the micklem competition bridle? My guy is a bit fussy with his oddly shaped head and I am looking into different bridle options. Are they legal for use in competition? I know the USDF approved them but haven't been able to find anything on USEF. Thanks!!

Thumbs up

I began using the Micklem bridle on my new horse after riding him in Bridle w/ flash and plain, single jointed loose ring snaffle (recommended by the his former upper level rider) and not feeling a nice steady connection. Horse was bouncing on and off the bit, not staying very straight. This horse has a sensitive mouth,but requires a good size spur for the gas pedal. The horse now goes in the Micklem with an eggbutt double jointed bit that has a fat oval link. I personal feel that the Micklem engages the noseband a tad before the bit comes into play and keeps the bit steadier in their mouth. I even bought one for my kids 8 hand Shetland/Mini X for the very same reason. The bridle is legal in USEA events, not 100% sure about all USEF. As with anything, you'll never know until you try it.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I have one for Keebler and he seems to be more comfortable in it than in any other sort of bridle. He has a short, wide head, sort of QH-like, with HUGE cheekbones. Wears a cob sized headstall but a horse sized browband. Figure 8s are particularly irritating to him as they rub his cheekbones. He doesn't need a flash or any other sort of special noseband.

The Micklem tucks in behind his Arnold-Schwarzenneger-like cheekbones just perfectly, and it really fits him well. I use mine all the time, even for dressage tests although it is brown and my saddle is black. A black Micklem is on the agenda if we make it back to showing. The horse size fits him perfectly.

Quailty very good for the price.
    Click here before you buy.

I tried one as the reviews for horses with bit issues were great. My boy hated it. I only tried it twice as he just about refused to do anything beyond a slow trot with it on. I did check to make sure I had it adjusted per the instructions and did watch the video. I pulled it off and put on his old one and he was fine again.

Although, I should mention that my guy is super reactive to new stuff he doesn't like. French link=bucking. Saddle he doesn't like=stopping/rearing. Not fun but I know what he likes and doesn't.

It was a nice bridle. Well worth the money appearance wise. Seemed well made.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post
    The bridle is legal in USEA events, not 100% sure about all USEF.
    The USEA does not have its own rule book. All USEA eventing competitions run under USEF rules. As a result, if you know the bridle is legal for USEA events, it has to be legal for USEF events.

FWIW, if you look at Appendix 4 in the Eventing Chapter of the USEF rule book, there is a picture of a Micklem bridle under the permitted noseband section.

You just can't use the odd little clips that come with the schooling bridle in competition. Though I'm not sure what they're supposed to do anyway . . .
    Click here before you buy.

An FYI--the lower nylon loop that holds the bit to the front shredded & feel apart on one of the bridles a client has. He had also had trouble with the ring on that side, it had separated prior to that so maybe it was just a case of a defective part that caused friction but it would be a good thing to inspect carefully, regularly. Not good to lose the front strap to the bit!

thanks all!! I appreciate you telling me where to find it in the rule book. I'm new to eventing and am still finding my way around... think i was looking at bridle section but didn't think to check nosebands. My guy wears a horse halter but cob bridle, which I always have to have the cheekpieces cut down. I guess his head is like his mom- short and stout. I have found a seller that allows a trial period for the bridle so I will go that route. I will be sure to inspect it very thoroughly. fingers crossed.....

Coming in late, but I have one and for the last year I've used it for all three phases (with that eggbut frenchlink!). I LOVE it. My boy loves it. I am thinking about getting another one so I can keep it bitless, 'cause he loves that too....I literally have used mine almost every day for over a year. The black is fading a bit after a year...but that's the worst that's happened.

My fellow is cob-ish EXCEPT his noseband. He uses regular horse, but I bet he could wear oversize, too.

They did forget to send a part with mine (I ordered through Adams), but I spoke to them and they sent it immediately.

Good luck!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I've been using one and my horse is definitely more comfortable with it than with a regular bridle. I believe the biggest difference is greater comfort than the drop noseband with the regular bridle, but all around he seems more comfortable.

Kind of a funny side note, but it's simpler when bridling, because there is only the headstall. No separate leather pieces for the noseband and throatlatch. Not a big deal, but I noticed how many more leather pieces there were when I used a regular bridle again.

I bought one on Saturday. I saw it in a local tack shop on special so went for it. I had been put off by the price of them in the past. I have one little horse that is quite tricky in his mouth and has a real tendency to get his tongue over the bit.
    Rode him in it on Saturday and although he seemed a bit more resistant in his transitions, he didn't get the tongue over.

Yesterday I competed him at a horse trials, so said I would give the Micklem a whirl.. Dressage was pretty good although I still found him a bit resistant. Mind you he was joint 1st after dressage, so not too bad. I decided to change back to his usual bridle for the SJ and although he jumped clear, he did get his tongue over in the warm up..
    I decided to go with the Micklem again for cross country and had a great spin, although funnily I found him stronger than I have in the past and also slightly harder to turn. (I should add that I used the same bit all the way through - a sweet iron half moon egg but snaffle)
    So.. I dunno... First use,still a bit inconclusive. Slightly resistant, but can't get his tongue over.. I think I will persevere.
    Oh and yes, he did win the class.