The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rock Hard Ten for Eventers?

Hi guys,

Many of you know I've been looking for a going upper level horse - so this is pretty much the opposite of what I've been hunting for..

...but a friend of a friend of a friend got in touch about a nice four/five year old by Rock Hard Ten that retired sound from racing last fall. Someone in the chain of communication who is supposedly a well regarded trainer said he really "thinks well of" Rock Hard Ten for sport horses. I'm curious about why.

Here's the pedigree of the horse in question. I would welcome any input. What i've heard from the seller and a neutral party who went to see the horse is that he's quite willing, a good mover and seems level headed. They popped him over a pile of junk resembling a jump in the arena and he was keen and quite athletic! http://www.pedigreequery.com/bears+hard+ten

Here's a pic of the boy. He has white hair in his tail!! Love that, lol!
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A7iWRCato7...+ten+after.jpg

There's an action shot of him half way down this page too: http://www.readebaker.com/news.shtml

Thoughts? I'm on the fence about driving 3 hours (each way) to see a horse that is not what I'm looking for. On the other hand...i could be convinced

He definitely has presence, doesn't he? I can see why he caught your eye.

I don't think Rock Hard Ten's old enough to have (m)any eventer babies. His oldest foals must only be like 5 or 6 if he's a 2001. And that pedigree is definitely heavy on Mr. Prospector/ Native Dancer, which many people feel can cause soundness issues.

That said, if you like him, he's cheap, and you can bring him on yourself, he looks like a nice horse--the kind that, even if he's not ultimately an UL prospect, could be a useful and saleable Training level horse.

I like him! DH and I have a Kris S. son who is keen as the dickens, and gorgeous. I'd take anything related to Kris S. in a heartbeat.
    Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck; some nights I call it a draw. -- fun.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Horse is very tightly bred. Three RANs, Mr. P as ggsire top and bottom, at least four lines to Nasrullah (3 to Nashua), and Roberto was one of the mostly closely bred of modern sires. Rock Hard Ten was a huge horse who didn't make it sound through his 3 yo year, IIRC.

Horse is barely 4, so not finished growing and developing yet.

Just some observations, and not any sort of recommendation for or against.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Rock Hard Ten was a huge horse who didn't make it sound through his 3 yo year, IIRC.

Are you sure about that
    If I'm correct he did not race as a two year old and started late as a 3 yr old due to his size. His biggest wins were at the end of his 3 year old year, with a stakes win in december.
    He also raced as a four year old.

He had only had 4 starts prior to the Derby. He also had serious gate issues that stalled the Preakness load and the Belmont gate crew worked with him extensively prior to his start there. Yes there are lots of reasons for gate issues. Most are not genetic. I realize it was probably a hole in his training. Just putting this out there,esp with the Mr.Prospecter blood. Those horses are not always known for level headedness. But RHT is a big gorgeous guy! Loved watching him run.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Thanks for clueing me in to the age viney - I thought he was a 2006 for some reason but now i realize he's an '07.

What are the implications of being tightly bred? (in this case). Would you have a higher than usual suspicion that the Mr. P soundness issues would crop up? Anyone know whether Mr. P's are predisposed to a particular type of injury?

Thanks everyone

Just found a video of RHT. Pretty cute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLsLl3sLQW0
    Last edited by clivers; Mar. 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Only reason I think he was injured was because I really liked him, in part because he was so huge. I just seem to remember he had a layoff for injury at some time in his career. Might be misremembering though.

According to the Wiki article on Gary Stevens, Rock Hard Ten was retired when he was because of a foot injury. On the other hand, he was so big by then--17h.2"--it was really a miracle that he held up as well as he did for as long as he did. Could it have been the Kris S, who is Zenyatta's damsire, and she is huge and held up well?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I adore Roberto in a sport horse pedigree. I have never seen it through RHT because RHT is too young to have horses off the track yet.

That said, there are some warning bells:

He is very well bred, yet sold for only $1000 as a baby. That tells me he has something wonky going on in his conformation. Smart buyers will not be put off by an underdeveloped baby by a huge stallion -- something was totally putting people off to have him sell for the "strike price" (the minimum price for which a horse could change hands).

In the one picture we can see, he appears to be built seriously downhill. His stifle is definitely higher than his elbow. He could still outgrow this since he is probably still growing, but it is something to be noted and questioned since it would seriously affect his ability to perform well as an event horse.

One also wonders why a newly turned 4, stakes winner is coming off the track and being sold as a sport horse.... Actually, one doesn't have to wonder for long. The answer is that something has happened to prevent him from racing anymore, even to the point where he can't be dropped in for a tag to be sold that way.

IMO, you need to ask some hard questions about his soundness -- why he is no longer racing -- or being sold as a racehorse.

This horse was not a flop at the track. Before you make the drive, find out why he is for sale as an OTTB. Ask the seller if he will permit you to talk to his vet if the seller is playing dumb.
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

The seller of this colt when he went through the TX sale is well known for buying cheap, but well bred, babies and reselling them at the TX sales. Weanlings to yearlings, or yearlings to 2yr old in trng. sales. There's usually a conformation fault, or something on the xrays that puts off the big buyers in Ky.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Thank you for the tip Toadie's Mom.
    I've seen some confo shots that don't look too bad to me, but he does have rounding in one ankle. Here are the photos I was sent:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=a1b4875dab

JMO, but I wouldn't touch conformation like that with a ten foot pole, especially for a career as physically demanding as eventing.

I am not crazy about the filling in that L front ankle... and the double dose of Mr P would have me worried. That being said, of course, plenty of horses compete well, long, and successfully with filling in the ankles.

I think the "well regarded for eventing" may be the Roberto/Kris S line in particular. I have one I adore. Smart as a whip, pretty, amazingly chill temperament, great jumper, good motor... I can't rave enough about how smart and sweet this guy is. From what other people say too, this is not uncommon in the Kris S line.

There is something to be said about having a horse with class-often it just makes them a joy to own.

Good luck--he seems to be at least worth the drive for a look.

He seems rather upright in all four legs - all the way down to the long, upright pastens, especially in front, which would make me think twice. Especially for such a large horse, who (I assume) you hope to be an upper level eventer.

I have been waiting and wanting a RHT baby, but this one I too would have to pass on...unless a good PPE w/ x-rays convinced me other wise.

He is very upright and the left front once you get past the optical illusion from his socks does show more thanmild rounding.

Very cute but I would agree on the straight shoulder and upright legs. The stifle is very upright, as well.

Just a couple of Kris S. comments, completely unrelated to the horse at hand, lol.

DH to cllane.
    My guy was a major a-hole on the track. They said he was so bad he was actually trying to hurt people. Granted, we found this out well after we bought him (wait for the tattoo search) by talking to his track vet. We talked to/worked with another track vet that had worked with Brocco and some other Kris S colts. He said that all of them that he had dealt with were very aggressive. He figured that ours must have been really bad to have them cut their losses by gelding him given that he is out of Inreality Star, dam to Breeders Cup winner Meadow Star.

He told me, "look at pictures of other Kris S. colts, you'll see most of them with a lip chain and two handlers". "The smarter they are, the better the race horse they are, but it also makes them more dangerous". If you look at RHT's BS, it seems to fall inline with his breeding. I really hated to see that he scratched from the Classic b/c of a stone bruise. Could have been Kris's six breeders cup winner.

I love my guy, he's definitely "mine". He's attached to me and doesn't behave as well for others... he's sort of a b-tard, lol. Strong willed, hard headed, but game for ANYTHING. Amazing work ethic, very even tempered, but opinionated and impatient for sure. He's not what I'd call a sweet horse at all, but it's obvious that he likes me He does great with beginners and took me from zero to Novice. It's like "he knows", lol

I'd own another Kris S horse in a heartbeat, esp a RHT one!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=506279213

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread!!
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

I'd be a little niffy about how upright he is. After having an upright-legged long-backed horse for 8 years, I steer away from upright angles for soundness and comfort issues. He is a handsome fellow, and will find his niche somewhere, but I think upper level eventing may not be it.

That said, I will keep an eye out for RHT get in the future. I have a TB with Roberto on his dam's side, and while he's stubborn and quirky, he is also smart and athletic!
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

Last year at the TB farm down the road, purchased a Rock Hard Ten yearling. He looked like a 3 year old warmblood. He was handsome and stood over the other yearlings. I put dibs on him, if he didn't make it in the race world! So far, he has raced once without a good finish. I hope he runs well for them, but if not, I hope to be eventing him!

The exercise rider said he was one of the easiest horses she had started. She did 12 yearlings that fall. The saddle went on and she was hacking him in the field the next day.