The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do It Yourself Projects

What DIY projects would like to do if you had the time, knowledge, and right tools around the barn or farm?

Just curious, but that is an odd question from a poster that signed on in 2004 and this is a second post?

We do it all, build our own barns, used wood before, metal today for the barn and stalls, that are portable.
    Metal today is a very accessible material and with modern tools easy to fabricate.

If you don't know how to weld, there are classes in most high schools and colleges you can take and you can learn in a few hours how to handle all equipment safely.

If using wood today, wood quality is poor, you have to buy it where you can send the scrappy lumber back, are not stuck with the whole delivery load.

That is such an open ended question, it is hard to know where to start to answer.

Gee bluey...maybe he was shy to post because of snarky people on this forum? I mean seriously...his question is not exactly stupid or anything. Lots of people lurk for a long time before joining in.

To the OP: I think we've done about everything on this farm besides install the metal roof on our barn. We can frame, side, lay concrete, build fence (and have put miles in ourselves) and any number of small little jobs. We are hoping to finally put in underground water lines this year and quit relying on above ground hoses. Yup, even in winter, I've had to water a 26 acre farm that way. Most winters in our typically mild region are not that bad but the last two were a PITA as cold as it's been.

If we don't own the equipment, quite often it can be rented and you still save money over paying someone. A few years ago at our old farm, we rented a bobcat for a weekend. That thing was so much fun! ;-)

I want to concrete in and put a drain for our grooming stall, without calling in a concrete truck ($$$$!) We have on the "todo" list: new arena, primarily for dressage, "mini" cross country course, one field needs cross fencing, more runins, eventually more stalls/barn. Most of these projects we will do ourselves, we've had to learn as we go, alot I already knew having run a LOT of farms, my DH not so much! But, other than the shell for the barn we have done almost everything on our farm ourselves ,did have someone lay the water lines fron the well and pu in frost free spigots, of course we have already had to replace two of those due to poor installion and we did that ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Just curious, but that is an odd question from a poster that signed on in 2004 and this is a second post?

We do it all, build our own barns, used wood before, metal today for the barn and stalls, that are portable.
    Metal today is a very accessible material and with modern tools easy to fabricate.

If you don't know how to weld, there are classes in most high schools and colleges you can take and you can learn in a few hours how to handle all equipment safely.

If using wood today, wood quality is poor, you have to buy it where you can send the scrappy lumber back, are not stuck with the whole delivery load.

That is such an open ended question, it is hard to know where to start to answer.
    Fair question. I consider myself to be a "member" more than a "poster" on this forum. Sorry, but this isn't a forum I regularly visit. (Mainly because I couldn't remember my log in information.) There are a couple of other (local or regional) forums I belong to, and will post on topics when I feel I can contribute helpful information.

The topic of DIY projects around the farm came up recently. I asked the same question on those forums as well. I thought I would ask the question in a forum that had more of a national scope of members.

While the list of projects could be almost endless, it really wasn't meant to be an open ended question. My wife has a constant list of "Honey Do's" for me. Most of which include designing, fabricating, welding, building, and or repairing. I already know how to do most of these things. I was just curious as to how many others were DIY'er's or wanted to be more of DIY'er.

Brian

There are so many projects I wish I could do on my own. We have a small cottage that I would love to be able to renovate. Cost from the electrician just to put in outlets was $5,000. I have stripped off the old cheezy paneling and removed the old insulation but now I'm stuck. I wish there was an electrician in my family or I dared to tackle that one.
    I have found that on the farm, a lot of the DIY projects are things that just have to get done, like fence repair, sinking a new fence line, reshingling (one of my favorite projects), putting in a brick walkway, re-claying stalls, painting the barn, and basic carpentry/repair in the barn because horses are such destructos.

Interesting question, Brian. I didn't realize how much I've done on my farm until I really thought about it.

I moved back to our family farm in 2006. There was nothing here but a 2 sided pole barn. I/we (family members) have done everything ourselves except putting electricity in the barn. Last fall we finally have water and power!

I have done tons of fencing, roofing, building, grading, heck you name it, I've done it!

Small/broke farmers have no choice but to become a Jill-of-all-trades it seems!

Brian...I think you answered that with a lot of class. Lots could have taken that as snarky and responded as such.

In re: DIY: I know there are SO many things I'd like to just get done myself, vs. waiting on contractors to bid, trying to evaluate those bids, to know what is/isn't being 'taken', and then (!!) waiting on their ever changeing schedules (!!) to ever get it all finished. S I G H.

One thing: I have come here, and asked questions ABOUT 'to do jobs' that, has really helped with the given suggestions, no matter if I 'try it myself' or contract it out.

I'd be doing these jobs 'alone' and without many needed power tools, and a LOT of needed experience/knowledge. So...for me, sometimes just the learning, the understanding of HOW I want WHAT done, does help...even in the hireing!

ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Our next, not yet started, project is also a concrete job. Hubby is trying to get enough concrete projects lined up to make it worth a truck bringing a whole load out.

And we, like the others here, do most all of our own projects. Wiring, plumbing, carpentry, dirt work, welding, etc. When we built the place we are on now we actually had a company come up the buildings up. MISTAKE!! So many things done "wrong", and delays. Had a 3rd building built a few years ago and that is the only one that was done correctly. Different company.

Right now the project at hand is trimming branches. Dont' ask me why but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Fair question. I consider myself to be a "member" more than a "poster" on this forum. Sorry, but this isn't a forum I regularly visit. (Mainly because I couldn't remember my log in information.) There are a couple of other (local or regional) forums I belong to, and will post on topics when I feel I can contribute helpful information.

The topic of DIY projects around the farm came up recently. I asked the same question on those forums as well. I thought I would ask the question in a forum that had more of a national scope of members.

While the list of projects could be almost endless, it really wasn't meant to be an open ended question. My wife has a constant list of "Honey Do's" for me. Most of which include designing, fabricating, welding, building, and or repairing. I already know how to do most of these things. I was just curious as to how many others were DIY'er's or wanted to be more of DIY'er.

Brian
    Sorry if my question sounded "snarky", I didn't mean it that way.
    The poster that pointed to that has a past history of not liking my responses on principle. I do understand why she would take any I say wrong.

I would say that most everyone that does any work has to tackle DIY proyects and in fact, that is part of the fun of having a farm, that you do get to do all that also, I think.

With today's broad information and technology for DIY proyects, they are a snap any more.
    I love best the hydraulic augers, that keep on digging, unlike the old PTO ones, that were useless for any but the softest ground, not worth the aggavation of trying to use them.

The poster that pointed to that has a past history of not liking my responses on principle. I do understand why she would take any I say wrong.
    No not on principle (however that's not a bad thought) but I did think you were quite rude to him and I would have said that same thing to anyone else actually. Maybe it's the little winky icon you like to use so much but I was obviously not the only one who felt your comment could have been taken as snarky.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    No not on principle (however that's not a bad thought) but I did think you were quite rude to him and I would have said that same thing to anyone else actually. Maybe it's the little winky icon you like to use so much but I was obviously not the only one who felt your comment could have been taken as snarky.

I think I already apologized to the poster in question, are you asking I apologize to you also?

I do think that noting that this was a strange post from a stranger was not exactly being snarky, but in case it was, I apologized, I sure don't want to come across as such.

I have a crew here finishing 4+ miles of fences today, I hope, so am kind of busy, coming and going, with little time.

I wanted to say, enjoy that you can DIY while you can, because there will be times where you will be in the injured reserve list, as I am now.
    It is stressful to be relegated to a mere supervising position, when you really would like to be there having fun with the DIY work, especially on as beautiful a spring day as we have today.

If I had the knowledge and the equipment? (Well, the equipment is the thing...I can learn to do anything)

Grading and resurfacing the gravel driveway
    Adding a lean-to/porch over one end of my barn over the aisle
    Adding a couple of outdoor lights for night riding
    Electrical work (I guess that's more knowledge than equipment)
    Creating a place to compost manure

Boy, a tractor sure would be nice
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Hahaha, I'm going out to buy a cordless circular saw tonight, because I was doing fence repairs and all the new boards are about 6 inches too long, and lugging that 16 foot board up to the house to cut it sucked! After the 3rd one, I said forget it, I'm taking a trip to town and stimulating the economy again.

My issue is mostly time and not enough helpers.

On my wish list:

Overhangs over the doorways on my center aisle barn for shade and rain protection.

Barn doors for that same barn.

Would love to replace the barn siding, but bare minimum it needs painting.

My husband is big on DIY, and is in the process of completely remodeling the main bathroom in the house, he completely gutted it, moved the plumbing (no easy task on a concrete slab house in Florida). His philosophy is learn as you go, and he does it pretty well.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Right now, I'm in the process of finding a place to build a wash "stall"- not particularly complicated, just a PITA to get my parents to agree on where I can or cannot put it as it has to be near enough to their house for the hot water, not on the septic tank, and preferably somewhat sheltered, because its always windy and I don't want the beasts to freeze on one side while I'm bathing the other

Otherwise, my dad and I, with help from family/friends/neighbors pretty much do/did everything ourselves.

Wow, is there a "time out" icon anywhere? I didn't start this thread to create a lot of drama. Bluey, apology accepted. Daydream & Others, Thanks for your support.

I guess I should have also asked what DIY projects have you done?

With me for instance, some of the projects I've done around our farm are: built a 16x16 lean to, built 3 - 60x80 paddocks with 4 board fencing, built & welded from scratch 10 of our 18 stalls, a 200 gallon water cart (actually two of them, the first was 100 gallon), ran underground electric for outlets by the paddocks, closed in a 96' open sided building with 4 - 16' sliding doors, built wooden saddle racks for the tack room, installed a flush toilet in the barn, wired and installed lights in the indoor, built a desk for the tack room, made our bed (stall front design), made horse shoe bridle hooks, made a horse shoe towel rack for bathroom, and winter blanket storage racks to name a few.

There are other things I would like to learn "how to do", such as welding aluminum. I just had a shop built. I wanted to do it myself, but was afraid of spending thousands of dollars on materials and having the finished building be "out of square" or not "look right." I do plan on doing the electrical, but will probably need some help with everything so it's done correctly.

I'm quite sure my wife has a few other projects for me to work on as well. She's probably waiting for me to get caught up on my "honey do" list.

Water (with auto waterers of course)to both barns and power to the one that doesn't have it.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

---" ... made our bed (stall front design) ... "---

Now for that one we could use a picture, please?

I think I already apologized to the poster in question, are you asking I apologize to you also?
    No, certainly not... but I was just explaining why I posted as I did when you accused me of picking on you in particular..or on principal as you put it.

A neighbor and us built this shed addition to the old Quanset barn, the first 30' a few years ago, the last 30' the past two years:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1301174589

This was going to be our quarantine barn.
    We intend to build a big barn, just not right now and this is as much as we need for the moment.

We already have bids for the material for the big barn, will rent the telehandlers to put it up, as our tractor doesn't go that high.
    Today those buildings come pre-engineered, practically as a bolt yourself kit, although we would still add welded reinforcements to the roof, as we did with the shed part.
    We could fabricate our own post and rafters, we are going 120' clear span with it, following the engineering plans, but we would have some waste, so it is a washout on them to buy them pre-made and ready to bolt.

The horse market is not good enough right now to be building large barns, many are cutting down on their horse activities around here.

Planning and building is fun, is it, although it does cut into riding time, if you are very busy training.

One question, our insurance won't accept a building where the electrical work is not done by a licensed electrician.
    How do those that do their own electrical work get around that?