The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TN folks...Shelby Farms XC course?

I'm still looking for somewhere to school in the next few weeks that is close enough for a day trip (from Jackson, MS). I have planned to meet a friend from the Memphis area to school at Shelby Farms. She has been there before but it has been a while.

Have any of you been there recently? I just wanted to be sure that jumps have been maintained and that the footing is safe. She said that they had a bank, water,...not sure about a ditch. We are riding novice so not looking for a lot of technical questions.

She said that she could drive over and check it out before I come up but if you could save her a trip that'd be great. Any information/opinions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by SweetieG; Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Bump.

Gonna try one more time.

Send KGBEventer a PM-- she might know.

CookiePony... Thanks. I'll do that!

I have been out there a couple of times in the last handful of months...essentially to just hack around. There are a few logs that are in decent shape, but overall it's very poorly maintained, if not down right dangerous.

Also, lots of people take their dogs out there to run, retrieve, etc.

My barn is only 10 minutes away, so it's an easy way to just get off the property for a couple hours. I wouldn't consider driving from Jackson MS for it though.

Sad, actually!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

ezmissg... Thanks for your post. This is definitely the type of information I need to know. I really wish there were some decent places to school around here! Any other ideas?

Geez, we can commiserate, right?

We went to the schooling derby at Jubilee outside Little Rock this weekend and their XC was open for the weekend. Rackensack Pony Club oversees the events. Have you ever been there? I don't think it's open all the time though.

A friend of mine is trying to find out if schooling is available at the Salem Equestrian Center also in the Little Rock area. I've never been there, so I don't know much about it.

We have schooled at Jim Graham's in Florence, AL. There is someone else's property near there that my same friend has called about, but I can't remember any of that contact info. We hope to check it out sometime too.

I guess we have to look more east than west. HA! I don't know how long it would take you to get to that part of AL, so I don't know if that's helpful?

Where have you been previously?
    -- Winston Churchill

I moved from Birmingham about a year ago. There were a lot of options for day trips from there. We could get to Poplar, Chatt Hills, Big Bear, Flat Creek (in its day), Ft. Rucker, Ashland Farm all within 3 - 3.5 hours.

Now, from Jackson, I'm trying to figure out where to go. We've been to Holly Hill to school a couple of times but it's a LONG day trip. I've also been to Jim's which is about 5.5 hours from here...not doable in a day. Candace Wheeler's place is just down the road from his. I don't recall there being xc fences there, though. She is a great trainer who is originally from Jackson and comes here to teach a group of us fairly regularly. (Wish it were more often!)

Little Rock would be about a 5 hour drive I think. I would like to go over there at some point, though. Sounds like there are some nice places in south LA but again, they would require an overnight. My family's weekends are so booked with my son's baseball tournaments that I really can't find time to go overnight right now. I'm lucky to get a couple of events in during spring!

The other place that I think has recently developed lower level courses for pony club is Cedarwind (I think) in Oxford. I guess I'll give them a call.

If you hear of anything else, please let me know!!! Thanks!

I haven't been out there in awhile, but like ezmissg said, it's not very well maintained. I really can't complain though because the jumps are 15+ years old, and I think that area is maintained by volunteers. I've been wanting to help out, but it's hard to find time.

The last time I went out there it didn't seem too bad, but that was over a year ago. The area is good for hacking, and they have BN/small Novice stuff (Two banks, natural shallow ditch). Honestly, there really isn't anything around here so it might be worth a try.

ETA: Did anyone mention Percy Warner in Franklin? They have schooling days, a great course, and it's pretty close to Jackson!

ETA II: Oops, didn't see the Jackson, MS part! I was thinking Jackson, TN. Percy Warner is like 6 hours then.
    T3DE Pact

KBG...Thanks! I was going to send you a pm as CookiePony suggested but you beat me to it. It does worry me that ezmissg has been recently and would consider the footing close to dangerous.

I understand how it could get that way with only volunteers to make improvements. Too bad, though.

I definitely wish that Percy Warner was closer. I haven't been there and hope to go in the fall if not sooner to school.

Thanks, again, for your help!

To clarify, the footing had several really big divots in it. Lumpy and uneven like it's hosting some prairie dog community. HA!

However, when I mentioned dangerous, I was actually referring to the obstacles, which are falling apart. Broken logs, broken coop, broken chevron, etc.

KBG, ask Nona's mom about the last time she and I went. I'd say there were maybe 5 things she was willing to jump. It was really a bummer to see the state of disrepair.
    -- Winston Churchill