The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lovely mare -- definitely worth a look.

Red Alerts:

10 starts in 3 years is worrisome. Why so few? Usually cheap horses run a lot.

3 years on the track, the mare FINALLY wins a race, and NOW, days later, they are practically giving her away? That doesn't compute, IMO.

Maybe when they said "Took practically everything she had" They meant, "took everything she had, soundness-wise."

She appears to be tied in beloe the knee. A definite weakenss for a racehorse. See possible soundness issues, above.

Do not fall for a pretty face. If she cannot stay sound, and if you are not looking for a broodmare, then she is not a horse for you.

But it sure is worth finding out more about her.
    I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post

Red Alerts:

Where did you get that--pedigreequery? according to Equineline (much more reliable that Pedigreequery) she has had 17 starts.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...orse_name=Lady Barbara G&dam_name=Lady Power&foaling_year=2006&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

If she didn't race as a 2 year old and only lightly raced (or didn't race) as a 3 year (as is the case with a lot of the Harry Hats--they are slower to mature--and this is an April foal so she likely didn't start early) 17 starts may not even be light. I would pull her record and see if there are any unusual breaks....that usually means a lot more then the number of starts.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 26, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post

Red Alerts:

3 years on the track, the mare FINALLY wins a race, and NOW, days later, they are practically giving her away? That doesn't compute, IMO.

Maybe when they said "Took practically everything she had" They meant, "took everything she had, soundness-wise."

She appears to be tied in beloe the knee. A definite weakenss for a racehorse. See possible soundness issues, above.

Do not fall for a pretty face. If she cannot stay sound, and if you are not looking for a broodmare, then she is not a horse for you.

But it sure is worth finding out more about her.
    I can see where you are coming from but I just thought I'd tell you that many of us know the person listing her. I'd let her pick out a horse for me any day, and would totally trust what she says. She knows a lot about conformation, breeding, soundness, and about this horse. All of the knowledgeable and reliable information that anyone needs is there for the asking.

She's gorgeous! I have a 6yr old ch. TB mare that is so far removed from the stereo type she should be a 20yr old bay gelding school horse
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

I'm not a fan of chestnuts (I prefer greys or blacks), but I would totally go look at this mare. Super cute! (Plus with the above-mentioned bonus in reliable source.)

I really like her too.

I talked to Jen about this mare because I like her too, and she will be as honest with you as the day is long about her.

She is sore on the left front ankle since the race. It is visible in a video Jen will send you if you ask. She would not sell you the mare without sending you the video first. She is however optimistic that as it is mild, with a couple/few weeks rest she may recover fully. Radiographs have not yet been taken. They don't think the mare has the talent to perform in good company despite her win a few days ago.

If I were going to buy her, and I thought about it despite the mild unsoundness, I'd have at least films taken to know what you may be dealing with. If they were clean, maybe a tendon u/s, then take her home if it's not a big deal. She sounds and looks fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by kayteedee View Post
    I talked to Jen about this mare because I like her too, and she will be as honest with you as the day is long about her.

She is sore on the left front ankle since the race. It is visible in a video Jen will send you if you ask. She would not sell you the mare without sending you the video first. She is however optimistic that as it is mild, with a couple/few weeks rest she may recover fully. Radiographs have not yet been taken. They don't think the mare has the talent to perform in good company despite her win a few days ago.

If I were going to buy her, and I thought about it despite the mild unsoundness, I'd have at least films taken to know what you may be dealing with. If they were clean, maybe a tendon u/s, then take her home if it's not a big deal. She sounds and looks fabulous.
    Ditton Jen was 100% totally upfront and encouraged x-rays....

I trust Jen and would buy a donkey from her if she told me it would turn into another Biko later in life.

Ok that being said....

I very much despise people looking to buy OTTB's who don't know how to use the innumerable free online resources...

1.) Equibase Horse Search.... NOW gives you a horse's entire race career with charts... www.equibase.com (left hand side box, "Horse Search")

There you'll see this... http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...213&registry=T

Lady Barbara G ran 17 times and was managed well to my trained eyes.

2.) Go to Calracing.com and sign up for the FREE membership... then go to race replays and search by the horses name. In the posted race for this mare (Her win last week) you can see she is moving well, but had an awkward lead change in the stretch.

Folks if you're going to buy OTTB's then by all means bone up on the details of life that one goes through and find the resources available to you, be it free internet stuff or people like Jenarby, me, OlympicDreams04 and MANY other COTH members who have "Been there done that" and ASK questions.

Oh and if anyone bitches about a racehorse's clip job.... be glad they were clipped and not just left hairy! That happens a lot.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Xctrygirl~ just to add caveat...since I buy and sell OTTB every day and have been doing it as long as most of your ages...Its not what you know..its who you know... A good honest trusting relationship w/ someone like Jenarby to steer you along w/ a proven track record is well worth its weight in gold in todays buying/seling marketplace.

And lastly never trust Pedigree Query racing stats or anyother added information beyond pedigree...anyone...anyone can edit that information and its only as good as the update. Unlike Brisnet or Equibase its not self automated for racing stats.

Personally I loved that clip, clean, efficant, effective and looked lovely on the mare....

Thank you everyone who has commented. I love having such a wonderful and knowledgeable community to come to when I'm unsure of what I'm seeing. Photos can be so misleading sometimes! Also many thanks to Xctrygirl and judybigredpony for such wonderful advice for those who may be unfamiliar with purchasing OTTBs. I think that we need a sticky at the top of the forum titled "Thinking of buying an OTTB? Read this!"
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Default Mods--Can we have a sticky here?

Ditto the above re a sticky on purchasing an OTTB. Outstanding idea.

I try to print out the relevant threads as they appear, but wouldn't it be nice to have a handy guide to the many COTH folks who know this area so well ( see list above, plus other folks who know tons, like Ishi, Mapleshade, etc, Jessica from Canter, etc.)

How about it, Mods? Might save a tree or two at the same time...

Our mare Devilinhiheels is by Harry the Hat- she is lovely and easy and willing- but she did start cribbing about a month ago
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Race records do tell you a good deal but it is also very helpful to know the trainer's involved. I know many people who will retire the horse even if they are earning a pay check in the cheaper races because they feel like the horse simply shouldn't be running for cheap and would rather send it on to a show home than keep pushing it.

I bought a lovely horse for a client who had been in the $$ the last several races but his owner/trainer said running horses in cheap claimers wasn't her thing. His record was similar with 18 races over 2 years making $18k.

We took x-rays of feet, ankles, knees, hocks and stifles and was he was completely clean which I attribute to someone who took their time and didn't pound the horse.

Jenarby is someone who will tell you the truth about a horse and if interested you take a few x-rays and see what is going on. I really like the looks of that mare.

Wow! Just finding this thread. Thank you all soooo much for all the kind words!! As you can see, my rep is very important to me and I would never try to deceive anyone just for the sake of selling a horse.
    For those of you wondering about the race record. We just bought this mare from a trainer at Philly Park over the winter. I believe we owned her for under 3 months. She did need work as she was obese when she arrived. She was also somewhat (what I call) "Wonky" behind until we had her adjusted and acupunctured. I actually put a rider on her who I taught to gallop before I ever sat on her myself. That's how quiet she is. We only had one race with her, this last one that she won. She does flip her palate when she races and it completely exhausted her. Even the jockey thought it was just too much effort. She clearly has more heart that her body can handle. Since we had more horses coming home form a winter's break down south, we felt it pointless to keep running her. Our horses tend to run on a 4-5 week schedule depending on the individual. They take care of us because we take care of them.
    Lady was not sore before this race. She was not sore in training. I think sometimes when they overexert themselves they can certainly tweak things that didn't happen to bother them beforehand. She's actually doing much better than she was when I did a little video of her before. The ground has been frozen though so I didn't want to take a new one just yet.
    She really is a very nice girl, very easy to handle and ride. She's not the fanciest of movers but she'll make up for it in try. PPEs are always welcome.
    Thanks again for all the props. I really appreciate it.

Oh! Before I forget. I was on vacation with my daughter when my husband and a friend took the clippers to her. She was a wooly bear and was sweating a lot....was I disappointed in it? Well, yes (I'm sooo picky about my clip jobs) but I was also glad I didn't have to clip one more!
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

I think her clip is quite dashing . Your husband and daughter did a lovely job!

Jenarby is always a class act!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

They were actually attempting to do a clip like this:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1118101151.jpg
    But this mare was turned out with a blanket on wayyyyyy up at the top of my pasture. So they tried to guess. The reason THIS mare is clipped like this was because she lives outside and needed SOME warmth even though I was riding her and she was sweating a bit. I had seen this clip at a dressage show and thought it would work for my mare.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words!

Okay folks, we are going to drop her price down to $800 in hopes someone will take a chance on her. We;ll take reasonable offers as well. She's still a little off out there on the frozen ground but it hasn't been that long since her race. I having a feeling she's got a green osselet that may need a little time to set.
    I'm getting ready to go change her CANTER ad but wanted to give those of you who were on the fence, a heads up. She's just such a nice mare, I want her to find her own person soon.