The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Detach the stirrups from the saddle and buckle them together so it's a big loop... one part goes in front of the pommel and one on the seat, so you can still put your feet in the stirrups, but they're not attached to the saddle anymore. If you lean the tiniest little bit you go a-slidin'. My trainer's really loved that one lately.
    THIS. Jump like this too. It will fix any of your balance problems!

Question Cruel and unusual equitation exercises

Well they may be cruel and unusual but I may just try some of them. I am have a problem finding my seat when cantering. I cant seem to find the rythm so my trainer said to work on keeping my heels down and relaxing some more so, some of these may help I THINK?!?!

Two point. No stirrups At the walk. On a really lazy warmblood.Worst torture ever.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I am just trying to figure out how you do a two point with out stirrups lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    My equitation trainer from long ago was also a bit "cruel and unusual" - I'm talking if your leg was not in the perfect position - she would tie the stirrup to the girth with bailing twine (your leg COULD NOT move). You'd warm up on the flat like this, then she'd put you on the lunge line and put you O/F - sometimes taking away the reins as well.
    I have always liked this exercise for fixing the "swinging" leg over fences... Your leg cannot move back anymore so your body must learn how to hold that position. I rode like that for a whole winter one year - trainer's orders

Quote Originally Posted by italian1982f View Post
    I am just trying to figure out how you do a two point with out stirrups lol
    Painfully.
    The dude abides ...

Wow! There's some good ideas in here.. I gotta sticky it somehow so I can remember some of these little gems to try on my own soon! thanks OP for starting this thread!

J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneandOnly View Post
    Ive got a cruel one for you..

My trainer makes us do "jockey position". We put our stirrups waayyyy up so that the top of the iron almost touches the bottom of the flap. We have to get our butts out of the saddle and keep our backs parallel to the ground (somewhat like a jockey would). We trot laps and she times us for 6 or 7 minutes each direction. Literally TORTURE. But it kills the abs, butt, and thighs
    Will it eventually make them disappear? If so, I'm doing that exercise every day.

I'm so late to this thread, but I had a trainer who used to make us ride with eggs between our knees and the saddle, as well as between our calves and the saddle.

You had to figure out how to grip tight enough not to let the egg fall, but not too tight to make the egg broke and made a huge mess. We did it on the flat and over fences. Nothing compares to egg yoke dribbling down the inside of your tall boots!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I'm so late to this thread, but I had a trainer who used to make us ride with eggs between our knees and the saddle, as well as between our calves and the saddle.

You had to figure out how to grip tight enough not to let the egg fall, but not too tight to make the egg broke and made a huge mess. We did it on the flat and over fences. Nothing compares to egg yoke dribbling down the inside of your tall boots!
    eeewww what a mess. yeah that would make you figure it out real quick lol

I love a lot of these ideas, and have used or had used on me most of them.

My personal favorites are the 5 strides 2-point/5 striders posting/5 sitting. The varaition I was taught you did one lap of 5s, then 1 of 4s 1 of 3s, etc,

Love tying stirrups to the girth to make students aware of when they pivot on their knee.

I was introduced to the riding with 1 stirrup, rater than no stirrups, by Andrew Mouw when he was at Morven Park. Great exercise for becoming aware of your side dominance or balance/crookedness issues. For work sitting, he had another great exercise. Take a small, riding school type crop or dowell and place it under your seatbones. Anytime you lose contact with the saddle or pick up one seatbone, the dowel moves. When you can ride all gaits and transitions keeping it in place, you're doing something right. Quick fix for canter departures and flying changes and for square halts.

The first time I saw the bight of the reins buckled under the horse's neck trick was at a Jimmy Wofford clinic at the Lexington Horse Center and I was *horrified*. There was a girl in the clinic who was struggling with her go-y horse, and she picked at him down to every fence, and he would get irritated and confused and just speed up and throw himself over the fence blindly. We've all seen this dynamic, and many of us have been the rider in this situation. So Jimmy tied the reins under her horse's neck and sent her out to jump a few more fences. I held my breath, sure it was going to be a disaster.

You could actually see the light bulb go on over the horse's head and him relax and start to hold a steady pace to the fence, and then the rider relax when she realized she 1.) wasn't going to die 2.) her horse was going better. They ended the clinic on a good note and safely.

I don't know if my ovaries are large enough to try that one, but I could see how it would be effective.
    Last edited by McGurk; Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Default Stirrups hanging

I would make my riders ride bareback (with bareback pad) and have their stirrup from their saddle hanging on their feet if they keep their heels down then the stirrup will stay on. If the rider dropped their toes then the stirrup would fall off and I made the rider get off and get the stirrup. It became tirering getting on and off the horse. Soon the stirrups stayed on the feet longer.

At the walk, trot, or canter, with or without stirrups, go "on your knees" (two point, with your arms stretched out to the sides if your horse is ok with it... hold it for two strides) "on your toes" ( Standing up straight in the saddle, ditto for arm position) ( hold it for two strides) "slide your heels down" (go back to your first position, and hold it for two strides) "touch your chin" ( touch chin too horses neck, with your arms stretched out too your sides like an airplane) (hold it for two strides) then repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    Love tying stirrups to the girth to make students aware of when they pivot on their knee. For work sitting, he had another great exercise. Take a small, riding school type crop or dowell and place it under your seatbones. Anytime you lose contact with the saddle or pick up one seatbone, the dowel moves. When you can ride all gaits and transitions keeping it in place, you're doing something right. Quick fix for canter departures and flying changes and for square halts.
    I love this idea! I've been working on square halts with my OTTB and I know its related to my seat bones but hadn't quite figured out a solution yet. Thanks so much!
    ~Over or Through~

A Blog of Percy's Journey!

My trainer likes to have us do "Peter Pan"--a grid of three bounce jumps, and you do them sans reins. First one you do Peter Pan--arms straight out to the side; second you do Tinkerbell--hands on hips; third you do Captain Hook--one hand on hip, one up making a hook shape. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3&l=7ffa1fb9bb

Freaking terrifying for our group of adult beginners, but it sure cures me of jumping ahead and my myriad other faults, because I'm so busy trying to remember what the heck I'm supposed to be doing with my hands!