The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cita View Post
    I've always been told that this is dangerous, and can lead to you getting dragged if you fall. No idea - never seen it in action, and I hope I never will - but something to think about
    I thought so too just from the description, but my trainer, who is apparently reading this thread (hi Bri!) explained that your foot goes in front of the stirrup, with just the heel resting on the stirrup. So if you drop your toe, the stirrup falls off your heel.

Then immediately after explaining this, she made me do it, of course. (: Way harder than I thought! It's not unsafe or going to get you dragged, just makes you feel very precarious, and you really do have to keep your heel down--as soon as I started posting, my heel went up and I promptly lost my left stirrup. I also had safety stirrups and I was worried about pressing my weight into them too much in case the rubber band snapped off, so I might try it again with regular fillis irons and see if I can keep it up longer.

Didn't read through all of them but this is one Greg Best did to me.. Worked wonders.

Take your stirrups off your saddle and connect them with the buckles. Drape then over the saddle. One of the straps IN FRONT of the saddle and one on the saddle (you'll be sitting on that one).. Your stirrups will have to be long enough to accomplish this, but if you lean to one side or the other you will fall off.. I came close like 10 times during that clinic.. it'll teach you to ride straight though!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Detach the stirrups from the saddle and buckle them together so it's a big loop... one part goes in front of the pommel and one on the seat, so you can still put your feet in the stirrups, but they're not attached to the saddle anymore. If you lean the tiniest little bit you go a-slidin'.
    EverAfter mentioned this too, and this is a favorite of mine. Greg Best uses this a good deal, and I ride like this often at home. It's quite easy when you do it a lot, and you learn quick not to drop your weight around in your irons. I can still move my seat without any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    This one truly is cruel and unusual, but it WORKS for people that have this problem:

When I was about 14, I rode with a trainer that had absolutely.zero.tolerance for looking down, EVER. After a particularly vocal few minutes during which we (a gaggle of giggling teenaged girls, the night before shipping off to a decent-sized horse show) couldn't stop looking down for whatever reason, trainer broke out the duct tape.

A tiny strip of duct tape on the back of your neck will REALLY, REALLY demonstrate just how often you look down at every single point during your ride. Of course, you can remove it with rubbing alcohol after you're finished (no need for that kind of torture!).
    What a simple, easy idea. I'll have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    she would tie the stirrup to the girth with bailing twine (your leg COULD NOT move). You'd warm up on the flat like this, then she'd put you on t
    I enjoy this a great deal. I feel like this way you can really feel it when you try to slip your leg back over a jump or for a transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie0304 View Post
    another one I just thought of is, my latest trainer in the US, he was making me carry a crop between the inside of my elbows and my back to FORCE me to stay sit up straight
    The one not mentioned with a crop is to ride with a reasonable long whip and hold one end in each hand with your reins (sometimes frying-pan style reins in addition) and ride and jump with wide hands like this. It will keep you from using the neck to stay up and holding the whip keeps you from being able to grab anything else. Great on the flat too, forcing you to keep your hands wide and be aware.

Other things to try:

dropping your inside rein and working on inside leg to outside hand

flipping the bight of your reins UNDER your horse's neck. If you drop the reins, your horse trips (for safety tie some string or twine across the mane), but as your horse's head/neck goes down in each stride it pulls your hands there, it's great to learn to follow the horse's mouth. Jumping like this is super hard for me.

dropping just your outside iron and being sure you're not shifting out for lead changes and corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    The late Jon Conyers, god bless him, used to have "no stirrup Tuesday" (hell Tuesday to students) - and a lot of the lesson would consist of exercises like you mentioned.

Jon's the one who taught me to ride in the first place, when he was at Wesleyan. The beginners never had to endure quite the same torture as the advanced riders, but he worked us pretty damn good.

His death was the reason I got back into riding. I miss him so much.

(Sorry y'all. I know it's off-topic, but seeing his name made my heart jump.)
    The dude abides ...

I love this thread! I'll never forget the time that Greg Best put tacks in the seat of my saddle (toward the back) because I was sitting in the saddle too soon on the landing side of a fence. He also had me jump with reins looped under the neck as previously suggested

I can't wait to try some of these on myself! the heel in the stirrup particularly sounds cool!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I miss you and I am glad to hear you are enjoying your new horse
    I miss you and the BWF crew, too!! I REEEEALLLLYYYY have to get out there for a lesson, or at least just to hang out.

And THANK YOU everyone else for the awesome ideas!! I'm going to print out this thread, these are amazing!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by CHF View Post
    Love the Up-up-down excercise.... do a two point and then hold your arms away from the neck on each side (really good for the core) so your middle is doing the holding and not the hands for balance. And you can also add - close and open your hip angle slooowwwlllyy very controlled.

Can't wait to hear some of the other ideas too!
    We don't do the 2 point, but if my girls get sloppy, then they have to lose the stirrups and reins and go on a longe...they really dont like it...oh well. It works.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    I miss you and the BWF crew, too!! I REEEEALLLLYYYY have to get out there for a lesson, or at least just to hang out.

And THANK YOU everyone else for the awesome ideas!! I'm going to print out this thread, these are amazing!
    April 10th. I am doing schooling hunters on my new friend Gaston.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    April 10th. I am doing schooling hunters on my new friend Gaston.
    Excellent!! I can't ride that horse to save my life, haha, glad you are getting along with him! What time does that division usually go? I have plans with a friend to visit my pony out in PA, but I can try and split my time to come cheer you on!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    Excellent!! I can't ride that horse to save my life, haha, glad you are getting along with him! What time does that division usually go? I have plans with a friend to visit my pony out in PA, but I can try and split my time to come cheer you on!
    It would be first division, running at the same time as Itty Bitty's.

http://www.briarwood-farm.com/upload..._April_UnR.pdf

You could see all your buddies at once

This thread is full of awesome ideas!

Unfortunately I think my trainer is reading this thread because she just took away my stirrups until our first show (4/23). My legs and abs hurt already...
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I miss doing fun things like no stirrups, no reins, even two point! Unfortunately, my temporary horse needs all the focus on him. Changes in rein pressure, leg pressure, seat/body shifts freak him out.

Ive been reading this thread for the past day or two....I tried the up up down and down down up for the first time in a few years. HOLY COW, up up down was a lot harder than I remember. I caught on to down down up pretty fast, but found myself having trouble with up up down. After a few tries, I finally got it...but my legs are hurting now!!

All good ideas! Can't wait to torture myself on my old trusty boy. Going to try to do the stirrups attached to each other as I have been feeling crooked lately!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

No stirrups cross country.... and then the next day bareback.

Not fun, but so worth it!

I worked for Cnd show jumper Hugh Graham many years ago. He insisted that we practice cantering poles. Every day. On every horse! It's an excellent way to develop your eye without actually jumping. I still do it every time I ride.

When your horse is fit enough to jump, gridwork is a great way to work on your jumping position without worrying about distances, etc. Amy Millar posted a series of trot grids at getmyfix.org in the 5 Minute Clinic.
    getmyfix.org
    Enabling hunter/jumper addicts everywhere.

Awesome thread. I just sent it to my trainers.

Yes, I am a glutton for punishment!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Default cruel and unusual equitation exercises

I guess I have a pretty tame trainer. My trainer has yet to have me do any of these cruel things lol Maybe I should keep my mouth shut incase she is reading these lol

I love this outside the box thinking --- when you have worked them all out, you could write the book (illustrated, of course). Much more fun than the plopping around endlessly.

Talking by the thumbs!

ride with thumbs hooked, little fingers on the withers
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans