The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best senior horse feed

I am adopting a 24yo horse and would like to put him on a senior feed, but there are different premixed brands out there and then people tell me about beet pulp. I have heard horror stories about certain brands making horses colic.
    So what do you recommend?
    P.S. He has no joint issues and still has all his teeth, although I have to feed him soaked hay to get him to eat it all and he drinks hardly anything.

I'm a huge fan of Triple Crown Senior - use it for most of my horses regardless of age (3 to 19). It is low starch which is (to me) a huge plus, high fiber and good fat content. VERY digestible.

Works for my easy and not-easy keepers as I have one that is Insulin Resistant and two others that are impossible to keep weight on without this feed. The rest fall in-between.

Does this horse have weight management issues? That will be a determining factor in how you should address his nutritional needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

No, not when he eats well. Sometimes during the summer he gets breathing problems due to allergies, which the vet has a shot for. But if he doesn't get the shot he won't hardly eat. He looks great right now but the guy is just feeding oats and corn.

Have to show him off:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/two+stept+dancer4

Quote Originally Posted by oldenmare View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Triple Crown Senior - use it for most of my horses regardless of age (3 to 19). It is low starch which is (to me) a huge plus, high fiber and good fat content. VERY digestible.
    Ditto what oldenmare said, but I use Pennfield Senior. I also use it for all horses, including one recovering from severe ulcers.

Another vote for Triple Crown Senior.

Good luck!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Just put my 30 yr old TB on Blue Seal senior as he had lost quite a bit of condition over the winter. It is extruded, for his bad teeth. I mix this with Nutrena Safe Choice and very wet beet pulp, so he gets a nice mash 2x a day. He is also supplemented with Focus SR, for additional probiotics, fats and micronutrients.

After about 3 weeks, he has gained weight and shine.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

TC Sr has a very low NSC level, which makes it very, very high on my list if/when I ever need a Sr feed. It's analysis and ingredients are very similar to the Growth, which has *slightly* higher NSC (like 2%), and a bit more protein, but otherwise, very similar, and I love it for my mare - now nursing. So, you could also use that.

Vintage Sr has come down to about 16% NSC - not bad, though I'd like lower, though I wouldn't hesitate to feed it if I had no other real option

Farnam Platform is surprisingly about 16% NSC too, though I don't have an analysis for it

I like the Blue Seal much more than any other brand so far. It is not gooey and full of sticky molasses but the horses love it. It has an extruded pellet so it's easy to chew and digest also. I have a 30 year old WB on it here who has never looked better.

JB, how can TC senior be that low with all that molasses in it? That beet pulp in it is not that easy to chew though (at least from my own taste test).

It really doesn't have "all that molasses" in it It has some for sure.

the ingredients, before the vitamins and minerals, are:
    Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Shredded Beet Pulp, Soybean Hulls, Cane Molasses, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Distillers Dried Grains,

The Growth, at 13%+ NSC, is:
    Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Shredded Beet Pulp, Cane Molasses, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Distillers Dried Grains,Whole Oats, Heat Processed Soybeans,

The difference is the swap of the soybean hulls and beep, and the addition of some oats and heat processed soybeans, all of which serve to raise the protein levels

Well, all I've seen of that brand is very sticky..way too much for my liking. So was Purina's as I recall. I do like the Blue Seal which never gets hard or sticky or hard to scoop and it really is super easy for them to chew and digest. I tried to feed it to one of my Spanish Mustangs but the soy was too much and the old stallion got a hard crest almost overnight.

I think many people go by the looks of the TCsenior versus the analysis.

Personally, I find Blue Seal has a much higher in general NSC than many brands,but because it looks dry or not having anything sticky in it, then its got to be good, right! wrong.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I haven't personally had my hands on the Sr, so really can't validly compare it's feel to the Growth, but in the pictures they look very similar, so I expect they are similar. Yes, the Growth is sticky but not overly-so, not nearly what many sweet feeds are. I've had my hands in it, and there is really no danger of even a paper towel sticking to me

Remember too the soybean oil adds to the stickiness without the NSC.

Looks really can be deceiving

The best one is the one that works for your horse.

Let's see, had an Arab gelding that really blossomed on the Buckeye senior. He'd been maintaining a decent weight before, but continued to have a bit of an old horse topline, and after I switched to the Buckeye, he really muscled right up.

Hank was an incredibly fussy eater, so he actually did better on the Purina Senior, since it was sweet enough that he'd actually dig in and finish his whole ration.

Pody doesn't have much left for teeth, and she seems highly offended by wet pellets, so after some trial and error we have actually ended up feeding her the dirt cheap Farm & Fleet senior feed. I think she likes it because the pellets pretty well fall apart as soon as you touch them, so she doesn't have to do much chewing.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Ever soaked TC Senior? The "molasses" look goes away as soon as it's wet... and then it just looks like alfalfa and beet pulp.
    A bit sticky, but I prefer it over any other senior feed I've ever used. Low NSC, high fat, and good protein.
    -Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I think many people go by the looks of the TCsenior versus the analysis.

Personally, I find Blue Seal has a much higher in general NSC than many brands,but because it looks dry or not having anything sticky in it, then its got to be good, right! wrong.
    No, I'm also criticizing the TC senior because the beet pulp in it is quite hard and very chewy. If you have an elder horse with poor teeth, I think it would be much harder to chew than something like the Blue Seal. That is my main complaint. I also don't like sticky molasses and having to chip blocks of feed apart.

For my older stallion who cannot eat hay or chew well, I ended up just making my own soy free senior feed from beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, rice bran and minerals. Probably a lower NSC than any of the packaged feeds, no molasses and since the beet pulp was soaked, it was softer. My old stallion is thriving on that and I've actually cut out the rice bran and beet pulp and now use mainly timothy hay pellets and alfalfa cubes soaked with a good supplement. He was a getting a bit too heavy on the earlier mix.

I can indeed say that the Growth soaks quite well and falls apart. I may have to try a bit, dry, to see if it's hard/chewy but I somehow don't think it will be LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    The best one is the one that works for your horse.
    I agree with Wayside. I have a 21 yr old Arab mare who ended up dropping a bunch of weight a few years ago due to an electrolyte imbalance. To complicate things, she had foundered a few years earlier so I had to be careful what I gave her. After a lot of research, I first tried her on TC Senior but she hated it, would leave buckets half-full. Plus, during the cold, the BO had to literally bring the bags of feed into her house to keep it warm enough to scoop out easily. I now have her on Nutrena's Senior feed in combo w/ Safe Choice & she loves it! In good weight & doing very well!

I'm a HUGE TC fan! I currently have horses eating Complete, Growth, Sr, and 30%.

My old blind mare has pitiful teeth, can't eat hay, and quids most of her grass. She'll mow you down to get her face in that TC Sr. and it has done a great job of maintaining her weight and general good health.
    I have always attributed the stickiness of Sr, Complete, and Growth to the oil (not molasses) and at one point or another I have soaked all three. That stickiness totally goes away with just a little water. I don't think it's molasses...
    Also, I'm surprised to hear about any horse turning up its nose at TC's 'complete' feeds. Even our ultra-picky eater really likes Complete and Sr! he hasn't tried Growth He wasn't fond of the Training Formula, but I think that had to do with the fish oil.
    Y'all ain't right!

As one poster said - It is about what works for your horse.

I've fed a variety of different senior feeds (many of the ones mentioned here) and keep coming back to the TC Senior, so there I"m staying until (if/when) there is a problem.

I will also add that the TC SR is what I fed my 35 year old horse until he had to be put down - I did water it down the last two years as his teeth had become inefficient. I also watered his hay pellets.

Having vast experience with this feed - it is not very sticky at all and my horses find it super digestible. Even the old man - who was a hard keeper - still looked pretty good at 35 re condition and coat. Too bad the feed couldn't do more for his arthritis.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My personal choice is Blue Seal Sentinel Senior, I have all 3 of my horses on it (ages 28, 24 and 7).
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams