The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Famous Cribbers

Anyone out there know the names of horses that cribbed that were excellent in the show ring? or eventing or dressage or ?

I have a cribber that I want to sell and I just want a positive spin on cribbing to go in my ad for him.

Thanks.

I've known a lot of upper level horses, and in my experience most upper level horses have some form of cribbing or woodchewing or other stall vices. They are so "on" all the time and have such intense personalities, they are taking out stress the best way they can. However, if your horse doesn't have that real "on" or driven personality, it'd be better to just say that he's a cribber and say how you've managed it (i.e, collar, limited stall time, Likit treat, etc)
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

No matter what you do put in your horses sale ad for some, when they see at the bottom where you state he/she is a cribber that's the make or break for some regardless of upper level status. Just my opinion and I am the owner of yes, my very own cribber..

We had a cribber who was successful in the Adult division at rated shows.
    The funny thing was he never cribbed at shows, so he only wore his crib collar at home.

Well, he wasn't really famous though.

He had other quirks that made him memorable though...

I agree I have no problem with cribbers and know a great local event horse that used to crib too but he is not remembered by the new group here.

That is not true of MANY people though. I think it would help all cribbers out there if an anti crib person saw how many successful horses are out there competing.

Ok - maybe it will help those that are on the fence decide...

Default In Sync

I think the junior hunter In Sync is a cribber.

I have a "nephew" to him and I inquired as my guys mother was a cribber too.. but luckily my boy is not one.

One of my show horses is a cribber and he has been very successful in the show ring at AA shows. He is a quirky horse, he wears a collar all of the time. Funny thing is that he has been on stall rest for 40 days now and has cribbed much less when not being turned out. Go figure.

Not sure how listing unrelated famous cribbing horses in your horse's ad is a selling point?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I am just looking for a way of turning what some see as a reason to not look at a horse into well lets give him a look.

Because it needs to be disclosed in the ad - I want to try to do it with a positive spin.

I will not be stating that my horse is related to any of these horses.

I just don't see this being effective?!

Like.. Abdullah was a gray! Gem Twist was a gray! MY SALE HORSE IS A GRAY!!!

If I saw that in an ad... my gut reaction would be "that ain't no Abdullah or Gem Twist!"

I guess I just don't see that tactic hitting the reader in a particularlly effectice way. Unless the horse is a worldbeater, I wouldn't be inviting comparisons to worldbeaters in the ad because the sale horse is all but guaranteed to come up short?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Cannonball cribbed on everything. It wasn't until he was retired for two years turned out in the field that he finally stopped. So yes cribbers can be great show horses.

Someone who doesn't like cribbers is probably not going to buy your horse. Someone who doesn't mind cribbers likely isn't going to mind that your horse cribs. Saying "my horse cribs, but so did X!" just draws more attention to a vice. Use that space to say "cribs, but totally controlled with collar."
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Completely agree with vxf- Unless the horse being depicted in the ad had a 10 jump, and decent video footage of being a 10 mover, I would absolutely move on to the next one if there were mention of "famous cribbers". Not particularly tasteful, and certainly not going to make me consider taking a second look...

In my experience, for the population that absolutely will.not.have.a.cribber., the horse really would have to be a phenomenal animal in all other regards to make them compromise on the issue. Too much damage to stalls/fences to justify even the slightly-above-average quality cribber.

That being said, dear French Fry was a HORRIBLE cribber to his dying day, and it never affected him negatively in any way, so it definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker for me unless the horse had a history of health related issues connected to cribbing (some cribbers tend to be more prone to gas colic, others will live forever without any problems, but luckily, if they're members of the "prone to issues" group, you usually know about it at an early age).
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Cannonball cribbed on everything.

OP, to be blunt, refusing to consider a cribber is not equivalent to being unknowledgeable and in need of either further education and/or a cool marketing scheme.

A lot of people are "anti-cribbing" for very solid reasons based on hard, even sad, experience.

If a horse was of the caliber of a Cannonball (RIP) and you had the resources to manage such a vice in order to have all that latent talent on 4 hooves, even an "anti-cribber" might do the cost/benefit analysis and go for it.

But for the average amateur horseperson doing that analysis with the average horse, many are simply not going to put up with the potential for issues.

Some people don't give a hoot about having a cribber and have their own facilities so they don't have to worry about finding a boarding barn that will accept a cribber, for example. The best you can do is market the horse's true strengths to a targeted audience and hope that you find such a prospective buyer in the doesn't-give-a-hoot category.

I think that ethically you need to mention it briefly in your advert and let the chips fall where they may. Prepare yourself to not get seriously bummed out when you find folks aren't willing to put up with the vice and thus specifically take a pass on your horse, period.

I have two cribbing hunters, both have funny personalities and seem to like human contact more than the average horses. My clients horse is so addicted to cribbing that he was about to be choked on the collar, it was adjusted so tightly that it was causing burns through the sheepskin padding. Now we have allowed him to have his habit unrestrained. He tears through buckets but is otherwise a happy fat carefree wonderful horse.
    Mine will stop if I put any collar on her, she likes to crib after getting a treat. If I feed carrots for instance she will get excited and begin cribbing afterward.
    I hated cribbing for years but there are enough good horses that have that habit to make me sit in the middle of that issue. BTW... I always give any horse that cribs a prescribed dose of gastroguard, sometimes they are trying to relieve stomach pain and cribbing releases endorphines. FWIW.

I think cribbing is worth disclosing, but I wouldn't put too much thought in it. I certainly wouldn't point out other random horses that crib.

I personally don't give a rats you know what about cribbing, but other people do; and I promise that you are't going to change thier mind. period. ever.

Write your ad, and hope your horse sells. I have had a lady call me twice on the same horse, each time I told her the horse cribs, and she feeds me the same line about all the work her husband did on the walls/ fence etc. I tell her he cribs, I can't change that; if you feel you can;t live with it, then the horse isn't for you. My barn is lovely too; and I accept that some horses crib.

ETA: Like smoking; there is NOTHING POSITIVE about cribbing. Cribbers trash the fence, wreck the tops of their stalls, some break buckets, tubs and auto waterers, they have an increased colic risk, they tend to be harder to keep weight on, as they age they ruin their incisors making it harder for them to grasp food, they are on the top of the list for ulcers, the collars ruin their bridle paths, they chew up the crossties, they make bad sounds, some people believe cribbing is contagious ( a myth btw ), they bend stall gates, and on and on and on.

IMO Pat Ness is about full-disclosure, and just wants to put a fun creative spin on her ad copy for what some might consider a deal breaker... Someone reading the ad might not instantly dismiss the horse, particularily if there are other compelling attributes.....

Thanks red2004 - that is exactly what I was trying to do.

i have had many cribbers. none ever had colic issues.

Talisman, a brilliant and very successful working hunter at nimrod farm in the late 70's cribbed with nothing to put his teeth on. on the crossties being braided he could flex his neck and crib to his heart's content.

cribbers continue their behavior because they are delivering endorphins when they do so. its horse "heroin" .

folks who are nitpicking as to the OP's request are..... picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Ness View Post
    I agree I have no problem with cribbers and know a great local event horse that used to crib too but he is not remembered by the new group here.

That is not true of MANY people though. I think it would help all cribbers out there if an anti crib person saw how many successful horses are out there competing.

Ok - maybe it will help those that are on the fence decide...
    OP, I get the sense that you feel you must educate the buying public so they will like your horse. If I got that sense when reading an add for a horse, I would run far, far away.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.