The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video of fire near Colorado Horse Park - horse rescued by firefighters

Terrifying, absolutely terrifying. It moves so fast.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.a...1/853340479001
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

The precision of the water drop was amazing!

Thanks for posting this.

Wonderful job by the firefighters!!!

If I were that home/livestock owner I'd be baking for that firefighter and pilot for the rest of their lives.

What a great job! Holy cow! The burn line stopped right at the fence, wow!

What a beautiful area too, that property is gorgeous.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Smile

Very cool!

What an emotional video to watch. Fires scare me the most. We are dealing with them now in Florida and there have been several in the area of my barn. Truck and trailer are ready to go if need be.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Oklahoma has already had our fair share of fires this years, & we still have not received any rain down here is south central.

Prayers & Jingles for all in fire areas.

We need to start a CoTH jingle for rain for the ALL drought areas.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Interesting that the horse first runs toward the fire and stands and looks at it, then runs back to the barn area (safety) even though he could have run farther away from the fire by going in the big paddock.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

What Misty Blue said!

When I burn off old hay from the round bale feeders in the pasture my mares will stand around the fire and watch. They don't run to their stalls or the other end of the turnout. Maybe somehow they sense it's a controlled burn.

There have been 75 wildfires in Texas so far this year--worst dought in 44 years. Going to affect winter wheat and beef prices. This is usually our rainy season, so to speak. But nothing....seems like everything is north in Oklahoma
    from our view but then apparently they aren't getting enough.

Only one barn swallow has arrived this year...no mate yet. Hope that is not a bad sign.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Default I should stop...

I should stop complaining about our never-ending winter in the northeast....

that video was hard to watch! It cut out for me, did they get the horse and goats(orwhatever) out?

Also, I am not sure I get this. There was a truck and a trailer there, yet not people, and horses, animals left there??
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy76 View Post
    that video was hard to watch! It cut out for me, did they get the horse and goats(orwhatever) out?

Also, I am not sure I get this. There was a truck and a trailer there, yet not people, and horses, animals left there??
    This was during the work day. How many people who work are at HOME during the day?

Also, spring break is going on. Lots of people not even in the state.

Ok, so... you are at work, you are hopefully paying attention to the fires and where they are going since they are close.

Second scenario - spring break. People not in the state? So they go away - out of state- with no one to watch their horses?

Lots of working folks don't have access to news or personal internet--they are supposed to be working.

My horse sitters always had day jobs--fed in am and pm. My primary one was a vet tech for a mobile equine vet covering several counties. Don't remember a TV in her truck. Even sitters who stay overnight usually have
    regular jobs or a lot of other in and out gigs to take care of.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Plus, these grass fires can start and spread suddenly. For all we know, this helicopter was the first news report of the fire. Maybe owners were frantically racing to get home at the very same time this was being recorded.

Someone once said "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind". I think that applies here.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Ok, NOT meant as an attack. Yikes. Just a worry.
    Ansel, that's my sig, unless you were just being sarcastic.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    The precision of the water drop was amazing!

Thanks for posting this.
    Here here! Did you guys end up getting any rain yesterday? We had a tiny drizzle that drifted your way so I had my fingers crossed! I think the Denver Post said this morning that it was 95% contained. Whew.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Brandy, with all due respect, yesterday was mighty traumatic for home and horse owners up in Douglas County in the Denver suburbs.

Yesterday's Burning Tree fire, as it's being called, was incredibly fast as you can see on the video. An estimated 8,500 homeowners got the call to evacuate starting yesterday afternoon - and some folks had as little as 10 minutes notice to get out.

If you follow the 2 threads on this fire here on COTH, I think you'll learn that the horse people around here in CO take care of their own as best they can, and that it's a routine SOP to have a fire evac plan.

The news commentator, herself a horse owner, noted as much, stating that she's got a friend with a trailer on call - because she's at work.

Sorry to single you out but as noted, this was a really really scary event that happened to hit a very horsey area of the state very quickly. I don't know the circumstances of the property owners in this video and I'm not even going to begin to speculate on it. What a total flipping nightmare scenario.

Jilltx, down here in El Paso County as of right now, overcast and cloudy with some dark clouds currently rolling over Pike's Peak but still dry as a bone; hoping the northerly winds push whatever rain is around up toward this fire.
    Last edited by Flashy Gray VA; Mar. 25, 2011 at 07:46 PM.

This is why fires scare me more than hurricanes...at least we can plan ahead to evacuate. All it takes is one idiot to throw out their cigarette butt and a fire starts. My barn is 40 minutes away...there is someone on the property, but by the time I arrived there, there is a good chance fire fighters will not let me in to get my horses out. This happened to a friend of mine 2 years ago. Her horse was 30 minutes away, by the time she arrived, she had to wait another hour before they were allowed on the farm.
    I am SOOO happy, I am moving my horses 10 minutes away from home next month and it is in an area that is not prone to fires (more residential than forest), so it will be nice to have peace of mind that I can quickly get to them in an emergency situation.
    Florida is dangerously dry right now, we also have lots of wildfires, especially along 95. I hope we get rain soon.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep