The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Experienced Endurance Riders: A question of semantic?

OK -- a question:

Let's say you are looking at the AERC records of 2 different horses.

Horse A: 200 LD miles + 200 endurance miles.

Horse B: 300 LD miles + 100 endurance miles.

If you were to describe them, which horse would you say has more "lifetime endurance miles"?

AERC seems to count the LD as "lifetime" miles, even though they were not obtained doing actual "endurance" rides.

Just curious how most endurance riders look at this.

I'm quite certain that AERC considers LD and endurance miles as 2 different things. Like, for the 3000 mile horses, I'm pretty sure that LD doesnt count. I certainly consider them different.

I don't count LD miles as "lifetime miles." I know that p*sses some people off, but <shrug>, oh well.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Horse A has more lifetime *endurance* miles. Horse B has more lifetime *limited distance* miles. As saratoga said, they are mutually exclusive - like the Ammy Owner Hunter and Open Hunter division in the AHSA (or whatever they're called now). AERC has a database column that offers both Endurance and LD miles totaled together for the benefit of riders who want to see their (or the horse's) complete number of competition miles.

Agree with those above - I translate that the same way.
    Horse A, more lifetime endurance miles
    Horse B - more lifetime LD miles.

Not really semantics, they are two different things. In our club, we made it so there are year end awards specific for LD only rider/horse combos, as we have several who never do above LDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Thanks guys.

This was my impression as well, but I thought I'd ask, as a friend of mine was sure that LD miles counted in the "lifetime miles".

But checking with the AERC site, they are listed differently -- in that if a horse did 4 25 mile rides in one year and that is all, the "year" column has a zero in it. The LDs & rides over 30 miles are in a different column, although AERC actually has no catagory for "Lifetime" miles.

So I wonder how many actual miles a horse like Tulip has?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Thanks guys.

So I wonder how many actual miles a horse like Tulip has?
    Most of the people who rack up a lot of the miles in the multi-days dont do LDs, or maybe did a few when they started out, back in the day, so I doubt Tulip has many LD miles.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Wasn't there a story about Tulip somewhere, detailing his history?? Written by a lady that had a chance to ride the 1/2 Morgan/1/2 Arab. Either a blog, or a magazine article or something???? I remember reading it not too long ago, fascinated that the horse really just wandered down the trail on "Tulip time" stopping to eat every few hundred yards. From what I've read of those mile chasers that put down their history in writing, almost all aim for the back of the pack.

Neat story.

Yup - just found one story.

endurance horses get smart
    My fathers 1st endurance horse was a back of the pack horse, he stopped to eat when he wanted, drank from every puddle, etc etc. was just short of 10, 000 endurance miles by the time he was retired - in his entire career was pulled from one ride.. ever as an RO- my father thought he might have a hot nail as horse was NQR , turned out he was right. He was an amazing horse - and certainly an irreplaceable one imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.