The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Project Centerline: revolutionize show clothing

Any fashion designers or wannabes here?

Project Centerline

Here’s your chance to redefine what dressage riders wear in the arena and around the show grounds. Dressage Today and HorseTech invite you to submit designs in any or all of these four categories.

Most innovative dressage show apparel
    Most functional foul weather design
    Most fun and functional outfit, sponsored by Kerrits
    Most original helmet, sponsored by Charles Owen

Entries will be judged on originality, functionality, comfort and overall style. We encourage you to send us your descriptions, sketches and/or ideas. Top entries in each category will consult with Laura Romfh, owner of Romfh Equestrian Apparel, to create a conceptualized illustration. The top three designs in each category will be voted on by Dressage Today readers to determine the winner of each category. The winning designs will appear:

in the October 2011 issue of Dressage Today
    online at equisearch.com and dressagetoday.com
    as life-size cutouts in the Dressage Today/HorseTech booth at 2011 Dressage at Devon, September 28 – October 2.
    Have at it people!
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Wierd.

I'm sure I'm just poor at imagining, but I can't think of a thing different from the simple, understated, sophisticated tailored look of a black frock coat and white breeches with black boots and a spanish top provide.

Hm.

Maybe a sequined long-sleeved skater's unitard! The kind with feet which would go over your boots for a sleek, uniform look from top to toe. If the neck came up to a hood, with the stretchy material, you could cover the helmet too. If you wore a calente style helmet with no visor, it would be a minimalist look. If you started making the helmets with odd shapes, like cones, or square, it would make the whole look very flexible.

People could have them made like bycicle racing uniforms, only covering everything. If they were black, they'd be ok. Red would be a poor choice, like the photo under the black shorts team on this page.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=18136

And Steffen Peters wouldn't be allowed to wear one at all. Not allowed. Nope. Uh uh.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Ok, someone with better sketching skills than I have, please suggest an all-black ensemble. Classy, with clean tailored lines not unlike a business suit or tux, but not too stuffy. Breathable, stretch materials that launder well. Still maintaining the formal look, but moving away (far, far away) from white breeches.

I would also go for the same as above in a nice deep charcoal or navy or mocha brown. One color from head to toe is slimming, and I think would tend to put more focus on the horse where it belongs.

In all honestly, I'd settle for anything with dark breeches for those of us who can't manage to keep our light colored ones clean.

I'm not much of an artist but if no one else will take this up I guess I will.

Oh, and I think a tailored vest option for warmer weather would be nice. I know some might disagree and say it's stuffy, but I just like it a little better than just a shirt on warm days where jackets are excused. You could still wear your stock tie and maintain some formality with the vest. But I understand if I'm alone in that sentiment.

I agree with the above poster that the classic dressage picture is a pretty one that doesn't need a radical overhaul, just some practical allowances would be nice. Oh, and i'd like to go to standard men's ties instead of stock ties. Allows for more flair/individuality, and they're easier to tie.

http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/shop/...y-lady-ii.html This would be my choice for jacket if it weren't so danged expensive (I like the zip front and the zip pockets), and then breeches in the same fabric/color. I'd keep the tall boots. Shirt would be just a plain button-down with regular collar (so you could use them in real life too!). Top with a tie like this:
    http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/shop/...ed-jacket.html

Oh, and ditch the white gloves too. I'd probably color-coordinate with my monochrome look.

Anybody with me or am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    ..... but moving away (far, far away) from white breeches.

In all honestly, I'd settle for anything with dark breeches for those of us who can't manage to keep our light colored ones clean.

Oh, and I think a tailored vest option for warmer weather would be nice.......

Anybody with me or am I crazy?
    this
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

So, you're with me or you think I'm crazy?

how about this idea -- white breeches for FEI levels -- black breeches for national levels
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Ditch the coats altogether. Do any other athletes wear coats while competing??? And for the 'traditionalists' - would you also still have women wearing wool skirts to swim in, or long dresses for tennis???

A neat polo shirt, with any color conservative breeches, or with a vest if you must. In moisture wicking, high performance fabrics. It's long, long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by cyndi View Post
    A neat polo shirt, with any color conservative breeches, or with a vest if you must. In moisture wicking, high performance fabrics. It's long, long overdue.
    Regardless, in moisture wicking, high performance fabrics. Whatever it is. The 40 minute ride on a bronc followed by 8 more hours out in the sun on a hot day made me realize just why everyone talks about the new fabrics. Amazing improvement from the old standby materials!

I'd like different color breeches simply because my saddle leaves marks on my white ones. Regardless of how careful I am before getting on, or how unflattering white breeches are... saddle marks are annoying!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Ditch the coats altogether. Do any other athletes wear coats while competing??? And for the 'traditionalists' - would you also still have women wearing wool skirts to swim in, or long dresses for tennis???

I sorta agree. On the other hand...with reference to the plus-size thread, while I am not obese, I am 66 and not as super-fit as I might once have been when I was, say eventing, back in the 70s and 80s. Frankly, I'm quite happy to wear a coat that covers the, um..... less taut?....portions of my anatomy. Even saying that, I"m happy to ditch the coat on a hot day. FWIW, I'm a bit over 5'7", have broad shoulders, but am "pear shaped." I wear a size 10/12, depending upon the manufacturer.

I've got to say the "fashion sketches" in the advertisement/announcement certainly look as if they would only be flattering to the verging on too skinny rider.

THIS. x1000 to the bazillionth power.

If we want this to be an athletic pursuit, for crying out loud let's dress like it. I'm not transitioning between the set of Pride and Prejudice and the dressage ring FFS.

Black pants on black saddles and possibly dark colored horses = judge can't see your legs.

I hate trying to keep white jods clean, but I certainly wouldn't wear black in competition. Gray, beige, tan, etc.? Sure. Wish I could.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

I agree with Sandy M, While A tucked in polo and classy belt may look nice on an athletic body its a seriously bad look for the older rider who has had children and has a less than taut body.

I fall into the category above. No way would you see me in a polo tucked in and even then I would never consider one dressy enough for a competition.

The new types of breeches in lightweight materials are brilliant but go for slightly darker colours. I don't agree with black though. Its not a great look against a black saddle. Darker greys,beiges,olives look lovely.

On top I would like to see a long sleeved shirt in a light material with a tailored waistcoat. The waistcoat can be made of a stretchy breathable material.

Why long sleeves? Because it looks more dressy than short sleeves for competition and with the right material is cooler.

I did a uniform for a team of kids competing at a international competition in a tropical country. My kids wore a long sleeved shirt made of a breathable performance material. It was stretchy and light and had a chinese colour which was monogrammed and had a small zip up the back for ease of fitting. It was long enough to cover bulges (not that the kids had any) but not long and floppy and untidy looking. It was a huge hit and much admired by the other teams and the kids found it comfortable and cool to wear even in the searing heat. The long sleeves had the added advantage of stopping the kids getting sunburned which is something I got wearing a short sleeved shirt.

Each sport has it's own "uniform" for a reason. Our show clothes don't inhibit us from performing our sport, as did swimming skirts and long tennis dresses.

In dressage the focus is on the horse, and our clothing should complement this style of riding and it's foundation. Sorry, but a polo shirt is much too casual for showing.
    It's a horse SHOW. A COMPETITION. We're supposed to look our BEST.

Must we always try to look for ways to be more casual ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I'm half tempted to do this.
    I hate polos for competition, I agree. Way too casual. but I am not sure I love coats either.

Hmmm
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Eireamon View Post
    I agree with Sandy M, While A tucked in polo and classy belt may look nice on an athletic body its a seriously bad look for the older rider who has had children and has a less than taut body.

I fall into the category above. No way would you see me in a polo tucked in and even then I would never consider one dressy enough for a competition.

The new types of breeches in lightweight materials are brilliant but go for slightly darker colours. I don't agree with black though. Its not a great look against a black saddle. Darker greys,beiges,olives look lovely.

On top I would like to see a long sleeved shirt in a light material with a tailored waistcoat. The waistcoat can be made of a stretchy breathable material.

Why long sleeves? Because it looks more dressy than short sleeves for competition and with the right material is cooler.
    I like these ideas a lot. One thing to keep in mind also is the visual picture in terms of optical illusions - you don't want anything that's going to constantly pull the eye away from the horse or somehow give the impression of more rider movement than there actually is, etc. (Hence the old 'only wear white gloves if you have good hands' thing.)

To that end, as someone who is busty and would NOT feel professional competing in something really clingy (because most bras that minimize bounce also show through such fabrics and look REALLY BAD) I quite like the idea of a long sleeved technical material shirt (lengthens the line of the arm, so no visual break between sleeve and forearm) with a light weight but TAILORED waist coat (perhaps a proper coat as an option for cold weather classes) over top, in complimentary colors - meaning I wouldn't go white for the shirt and black for the waistcoat as again that's very eye-catching, but rather something like a light to medium gray shirt under a charcoal vest, with charcoal breeches - and NO WHITE BREECHES.

(I am that person who would end up with grass stains all over them right before I was due to ride my test.)

For the waistcoat or even a long sleeved coat, I would also like to see fastening considerations - I think a zipper looks a bit too 'unpolished' to my eye, but it does improve the fit significantly and you don't have that horrible problem with buttons gaping. One of the current lines of 'fashion' equestrian wear has a nice compromise - the jackets zip, but then there's a snapped placard over the top which has the buttons on the outside for decoration. So you have the traditional look with a more contemporary fit.

I would like to see a slightly longer jacket skirt..ala 1960's and a single vent not double. More w/ A-line darts as option.
    I don't like the short bumm freezer coats,they do not create a long tall elegant silhouette. Why can't we have 3-button coats and not one that seems to button to the throat??

Breeches a litttle more relaxed and find a way to get rid of the bagging sagging crotch I observe on riders in the tack.
    Theres nothing worse to see a rider sit trot extension across the center line leading with a bagged crotch breech.

Grey coats w/ light grey breeches would be lovely, same with Dark brown jacket and pale cocoa breeches.

Yes still Black or Navy w/ white or cream for those upper levels but some soft coordinated color combinations "Accepted" below Tail coat levels would make for a more personalized not cookie cutter presentation that does not disrespect tradition

I have no sketch skills just good descriptions of what I personally looks elegant.

And on that note..while a Huge long time Helmet fan (30 years) I still feel Velvet not a GPA hardshell is most appropriate....

Love the idea of a sleevelss Waistcoat and long sleeve shirt for those Hot days, would make waiving coats much more popular or rider option!!
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Mar. 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: sp

Fabulous idea, and I hope the fashion designers in the crowd think bold. We need classy options to the B&W uniform, especially something to go with helmets at upper levels other than a shadbelly. Love a shadbelly with a top hat; but a shad with a helmet is not a great sight. Light colored breeches, don't need to be white, and something visionary in a technical fabric on top. Or, Short Jackets in COLORS! (grey is not a color, it's a neutral -- you can do that now)

What about breeches in a multiple color? Kerrits used to have that nice houndstooth pattern that was kind of interesting, or better yet, a stripe like the military/police uniform breeches that two of the Italian eventers wore at WEG.

Rather than a coat, I'd suggest a tailored shirt that went over the breeches, to provide a coat-like line and to cover the waistline of the breeches. We don't need two layers most of the show year.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I think that I'd be more likely to actually show again if the clothing was adapted to the Climate. Living the the steamy south, I can't manage to ride in a wool coat in the summer months. I like Meaty Ogre's idea of a monochrome look. White breeches + Ga clay = ugly mess.
    Basically, I'm more interested in the function of the attire and not the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Each sport has it's own "uniform" for a reason. Our show clothes don't inhibit us from performing our sport, as did swimming skirts and long tennis dresses.

In dressage the focus is on the horse, and our clothing should complement this style of riding and it's foundation. Sorry, but a polo shirt is much too casual for showing.
    It's a horse SHOW. A COMPETITION. We're supposed to look our BEST.

Must we always try to look for ways to be more casual ?
    Totally agree - I would hate to see a move away from the traditional "look". While I love the thought of new more innovative fabrics (although I have to say I find a lot of the new techno fabric jackets to be quite badly finished) I would hate to see the traditional sillhouette disappear and I have very seldom (if ever) ridden a test without my jacket, even when the rules were relaxed to allow it.

I have an ancient (antique) side-saddle jacket and the workmanship is amazing! The tailoring in that jacket immediately makes you look more elegant and streamlined in the saddle - modern jackets (especially those in a softer material) just don't have that yet, more's the pity.