The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Box Fan Recall- Fire Hazard

This was posted on another board. It probably impacts a few people here.

Copied from allheadlinenews.com

Fan manufacturer Lasko Products Inc. has recalled 4.8 million box fans over a fire hazard, company officials announced Thursday.

No injuries from the affected fans have been reported, but company officials say they have received seven reports of fires caused by the failure of the fan motors of several models of Lasko and Galaxy box fans. An electrical failure in the fan motor causes the problem.

The fans sold for from $12 to $25 nationwide at major retail stores, home improvement centers, hardware stores and other retailers from July 2002 through December 2005, according to the company website.

Several models of Lasko and Galaxy box fans are involved. Consumers should look on the bottom of the metal frame of their fan to determine if their fan is among those recalled. On the Lasko brand fans look for model numbers 3720, 3723 or 3733. On the bottom of Galaxy brand fans with model number 4733, look for the date "2002-03" or "2003-04."

Lasko advises consumers to immediately stop using the fan and unplug it. Then, contact the company to receive a free fused plug safety adapter.

Contact Lasko by telephone at (877) 445-1314 or visit the company website at laskoproducts.com.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Thanks for this!!!! I'm going to pass it on to my barn. Always a worry!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Wasn't this notice a few years ago? Seems like lasko would have fixed all of them by now.

Given how cheap they are, I replace all of mine annually. Too much risk of dust, dirt, and frayed wires to make it worthwhile to keep from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpytoo View Post
    Wasn't this notice a few years ago? Seems like lasko would have fixed all of them by now.
    This recall was released today. It's on Lasko's website at "Fan Recall March 2011".
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Given how cheap they are, I replace all of mine annually. Too much risk of dust, dirt, and frayed wires to make it worthwhile to keep from year to year.
    Me too. The recall I thought was several years ago. And I started buying the lasko fans that can withstand rain also. As for frayed wires, well, I have to keep all wires out of reach of my fan-eating horse. He got one fan at each of 3 barns, despite my warnings to the 2nd and 3rd barn about him. It's bad enough that he likes to press the fan to slow down the motor for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    This recall was released today. It's on Lasko's website at "Fan Recall March 2011".
    Oops, thanks. I havent' bought his 2 spring fans yet.

You'd think that they had corrected the problem from several years ago, duh.

Horse.com website email just sent it out too. Thanks again.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Mar. 24, 2011 at 02:38 PM.

Same here.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Well, I never used to really, maybe every couple years...but I will from now on.

What the heck is up with this?! It is the second time in not too many years Fix the problem already. Jeesh.
    Courage and beauty and power and grace, the gift from the horse to humanity’s race. ~Author Unknown

But the dates of manufacture mentioned are pre-2005.

If your fan is that old, you need to replace it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check my fans to see what brand. I rarely have to actually use mine so they tend to last a long while. I clean them out every fall and then store them.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    But the dates of manufacture mentioned are pre-2005.

If your fan is that old, you need to replace it anyway.
    True. Maybe it is just a repeat of the last recall...especially if they are still having issues with them causing fires...
    Courage and beauty and power and grace, the gift from the horse to humanity’s race. ~Author Unknown

I do the same.
    There's coffee in that nebula.