The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What if anything can you do with leftover/unused scripts (Legend/Adequan)...

I have numerous unopened bottles and no horse to use them on. Called my vet, was told that they can't buy it back and that I should watch selling it, but that they'd give me a note stating I bought it from them, if needed to help sell it. I'd donate some of it, but I have numerous bottles, well over 1K in meds. I'd happily sell it at a discount and break it up, but I also acknowledge that isn't exactly proper. However, tossing 1K worth of unopened, unexpired meds seems so wasteful. I called 2 local rescues, neither had any use for it. Any ideas. I've seen some CL ads for stuff like this, but that seems risky too. I realize what I am asking is a bit odd, but there must be some horse person that's ended up with perfectly good leftover meds, what in the world do you do with them, besides toss them and call it a complete loss?
    Last edited by Colorado Eventer; Mar. 24, 2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling

They "can't" buy it back, or won't? Mine bought back my unused Equidone.

I don't know that it's legal for you to sell it though, even with your vet's note - they are prescriptions and you're not a vet But who's to know if you do?

In my state, it would be illegal for you to sell it AND illegal for me to take it back and dispense again. It would be up to our practice as to weather we gave you a refund for it but if we took it back we would have to destroy it or return it to the MFG as adulterated. I would keep it for further use on another horse or take it to your local pharmacy and put it in one of their unused medication disposal boxes.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Grataan, what constitutes "adulterated"? If a box/bottle is still sealed, is the issue the unknown temperature of the storage?

you could message me what you have ;-) just sayin'

Sent ya a PM!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

When my gelding passed I had lots of left over medication. I asked my vet if he knew of any horses in the area that could benefit from them> He said that he did and I brought them to the clinic and he took them to the client that needed them. Basically I donated them
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

any rescues in your area that could use them?
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    They "can't" buy it back, or won't? Mine bought back my unused Equidone.

I don't know that it's legal for you to sell it though, even with your vet's note - they are prescriptions and you're not a vet But who's to know if you do?
    They said can't, that once it's left their hands, they can't legally buy it back or even take it for free and re-sell it, they'd have to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    In my state, it would be illegal for you to sell it AND illegal for me to take it back and dispense again. It would be up to our practice as to weather we gave you a refund for it but if we took it back we would have to destroy it or return it to the MFG as adulterated. I would keep it for further use on another horse or take it to your local pharmacy and put it in one of their unused medication disposal boxes.
    That is exactly what they told me. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy76 View Post
    any rescues in your area that could use them?
    I called 2 of them, one said they would not have a use for it, the other said the same thing and that if they did, they'd have to have a vet administer it, for their tracking/records. Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, I really had never thought about getting rid of meds to be an issue, I was wrong, lol. I am going to call a few of the small animal vets, thanks for the PM about that, for some reason I had never thought of them, just large animal vets. I called several more local rescues and none were interested, basically they told me they don't have the funds to get a horse started on meds like this, even if initially the cost is free, because they can't do the maintanence. Again, thanks again for the feedback and ideas.

I'll trade you a nasty goat for the Adequan.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Just spit coffee on the keyboard, thanks for the laugh.

I have a 2yr old filly that has an eye ulcer & needs meds 4x a day - I'm considering trading her in right about now

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    ROFL, uh, no, but want another one, lol. There is one at my barn, she's nasty, mean and smelly, her name is Queenie, but to the dismay of the barn owners, I call her Fajita. Because in my mind, the only place she should be is in a fajita burrito

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Grataan, what constitutes "adulterated"? If a box/bottle is still sealed, is the issue the unknown temperature of the storage?
    Even though it is sealed, it is still considered potentially adulterated. Remember the tylenol poisoning way back when? The bottles looked normal but had obviously been tampered with.
    I have heard of addicts taking the tops off of morphine, etc bottles, taking drug out, then carefully gluing the tops back on so it was virtually impossible to tell the bottles had been opened. Due to liability issues, it is just a chance not worth taking.

So LEGALLY, you are stuck. But you may have friends that could help you out, under table.

I've seen ads on Bits and Barter for Legend and Adequan... would have responded to them myself but didn't have spare money. Just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Even though it is sealed, it is still considered potentially adulterated. Remember the tylenol poisoning way back when? The bottles looked normal but had obviously been tampered with.
    I have heard of addicts taking the tops off of morphine, etc bottles, taking drug out, then carefully gluing the tops back on so it was virtually impossible to tell the bottles had been opened. Due to liability issues, it is just a chance not worth taking.

So LEGALLY, you are stuck. But you may have friends that could help you out, under table.
    I gotcha, thank you

Love a pm from you

I'm in the same boat. I bought enough Doxy to treat my horse for lyme before I got the test result back. Both my vet and I were POSITIVE he had lyme again...turned out he had ulcers. I have 6 bottles of Doxy that expires in May, can't sell it, can't return it and out the $$$ in addition to having to treat for ulcers!!!