The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Glean & Gain Supreme 60?

Has anyone used this?

My older (19) TB mare lost some weight this winter. In looking at fat supplements I came across this one that I hadn't heard of.

(and yes- she has been seen by a vet, had her teeth done, is on a regular deworming schedule and has hay in front of her all the time )

I am looking for an easy to feed (no liquids) cost effective fat source. Am also looking at Amplify, Cool Calories 100, rice bran etc.

any thoughts would be appreciated!
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Default Re: Glean & Gain Supreme 60?

I have several horses in the barn on this supplement and so far I am very pleased. The two mares that have been on it for the last couple of months are very hard keepers and are definitely starting to look much better. One of these mares had been on the Cocosoya ultra that SmartPak carries in the past, but I think this is actually working better for her. I like that the Omega 3s and 6s are balanced in the correct direction (more 3 than 6). I'm happy enough with how the mares are progressing that I just switched my stallion from SmartOmega to the Gleam&Gain (I've been trying to reduce his grain so the extra fat in the Gleam&Gain is helpful).

I have not used the Adeptus brand of products, because I am a horsetech customer. But, my friend uses their products and really likes them. I spoke to the owner during the equine affaire, and I like that they are based in San Diego, CA.

I have used cool calories 100 though, and liked it. Like you, I wanted to add fat to the diet for weight gain, but didn't want to mess with oil. Cool Calories 100 did the job, and at a decent price (especially when they were offering free shipping - even on heavier items. I don't see that anymore). Who does offer free shipping is horsetech - not to push their products, but they do offer a vegatable based fat supplement that I have used and it worked too.

During the summer, I just feed my guy lots of beet pulp and that has kept his weight up. Oh, and I switched to orchard grass hay from timothy, because our timothy here has SUCKED quality wise for the last year. Are you finding any quality hay out your way? I assume you are in orange county CA?

Thanks for the replies- glad to hear someone has had success with it! I just started her on Progressive Envision, so we'll see how that does and if no luck try the G&G or the CC 100.

Saddith- nope, I'm in WI Luckily here hay is downright cheap and plentiful compared to most of the rest of the country, but it was a long, cold winter. Happy for the mud, now
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

I have my guy on G&C 60 and love it! He's shiny and has gained some weight but he's the low man on the totem pole so doesn't get much hay :/

I had my old (33yr old!) gelding on it when he needed to gain weight. He was also eating rice brain (mixed with southern states triple 10) 3 times per day. Worked wonders! I think the gleam and gain works wonders!