The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wink Quirky habits your horse has

If I have to go out to the field to catch my horse it never fails that I'll clip the lead rope on, start to lead him, and about two or three steps away, he'll stop and plant his feet. I'll look back at him, roll my eyes, he'll poop, then we can go to the barn.

But every single time, he has to stop and poop first.

Apparently he's done this to other people who go catch him, too.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

My old horse I sold last year pee's every time before he eats. It's like clockwork. When I would walk into the barn for feeding time he'd do his number 1, and be ready to eat.

The same horse always would grab the fence after taking a drink of water...outside only. Never chews or cribs. Just grabs the fence and bites as hard as he can.

Good horse! My mare usually and gelding sometimes pee when I go out to the field to bring them in. It's hilarious when they stop and pee at the same time . I thank them for not messing up their stalls.

One of my mares (my favorite) sucks her tongue after she eats (that includes breakfast grain, dinner grain and treats.) It's kind of cute but people think she is very strange. Her mother did it, which I assume is where she learned it.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

One of my horses hates it when his stall door is ajar (as in, I had to go in to straighten his blanket, and left the door open just a tad). He'll grab the top of the door, and SLAM it shut..and unfortunately, will rinse and repeat as my stall doors are the half dutch type, and tend to swing back open.

Similar to Inca's horse, my mare licks on a surface while eating her beet pulp. She prefers metal, but the side of the bucket or a fence post will do in a pinch. Makes a royal mess, but she does SO loff her beet pulp
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My mare's "safety/quiet zone" habit is to find a bucket, whether in her stall or in a run in shed, back up to it and sit on the bucket. She seems to do this whenever she needs a timeout or gets stressed. Sort of like a weird version of a security blanket b/c she really does zone out. Pretty amusing to see!
    Mollie Zobel Eventing
    Rocky Swamp Farm
    Springfield, SC
    www.molliezobeleventing.com

Like inca's mare - my stallion 'nurses' or sucks his teeth after treats...apples, carrots, sweets, even plain old pellets. He goes to town for hours getting every last morsel out of his teeth. He has 2 full siblings who are not as dedicated/concerned about their next meal...this fella doesn't want to miss a morsel.

One of our FEI geldings is a licker. He licks your hands, your arms, your shirt, your jacket, your face (if you'll let him). He's like an overgrown Labrador - just as sweet and friendly as could be with a big wet tongue!

The eventing stallion begs for itches along his crest. He loves them!!! The enticing soft eye and slight tilt of his neck and then he just melts when you start scratching!

And Wally begs for treats with his head cocked a bit to the side as soon as he hears the carrot/apple bag rattle. He hates mints, so wrappers crinkling are not interesting to him.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Good horse! My mare usually and gelding sometimes pee when I go out to the field to bring them in. It's hilarious when they stop and pee at the same time . I thank them for not messing up their stalls.
    Oh, trust me...he'll likely pee in the aisleway at some point and poop at least twice in the arena too. I always say at least it lets me know he's not colicky!

He also likes to grab his bucket and shake it in his teeth to let you know he's done. If it's his food, he just shakes the corner feeder around (I bet it's not so satisfying for him since it's attached the wall) but if I'm offering him water on a trail ride, he'll try to do it with that bucket too.

Every single time you take my horse's bridle off, he lets out at least 1, but sometimes 2 or 3, huge yawns. It doesn't matter whether he had a hard work out, or just a leisurely stroll through the pasture. So, I always have to wait for the yawning to end before putting his halter on him.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Tarheel, my mare goes through a dramatic series of yawns before she takes the bit. Sometimes after, but always, always, before. She opens her mouth soo wide, you have never seen so much space between their teeth. And stretches her head every which way as she does it. You would think I was about to put on some big ugly bit, but it's a very mild mylar bit w/ a metal spoon in the middle (pardon my bit illiteracy, I might not be describing it right).
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

My part lease horse flaps his lips together. It seems to be some sort of attention thing because he starts when he sees someone heading down the aisle toward his stall. I's very cute but it does get annoying after a while.
    If I ask him to stand in the arena for a a few minutes (during a jumping lesson or while kids are mounting for a lesson etc.) he nods his head and chomps his bit, spewing a small semi-circle of foam around him. He doesn't jig or walk off, he stands still but his head and mouth are always moving.

I think Monroe has ADHD, he's alot like my son.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

After being worked, if you scratch my appy's face, he while nicker loudly and appreciatively the whole time you are scratching.

My pinto likes to gently rest his muzzle on the base of my neck all the time. When I am mucking his stall, grooming, passing by his stall he will reach out and gently touch his muzzle to my cheek or neck.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Linny,

My guy flaps his lips too, usually when he's bored. So..standing around in the ring, he'll start flapping his lips. In his stall with nothing interesting happening? I'll hear him flap his lips.

It's gotten to the point where a couple of other horses in the barn have been caught flapping their lips when bored too.

If you rub the very bottom/inside of my pony's ear, his bottom eyelid pulls down and twitches (the eye on the same side as the ear you're scratching). I like to alternate scratching each ear and watch his eyelids go crazy. A lot of people think it's really weird and gross, but I think it's hilarious
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My little black TWH is a licker. It's like he goes into a trance and will just lick the palm of your hand for as long as you hold it up.

He also loves ice cubes.

And beer. But only imports.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

My QH stores treats in his cheeks like a squirrel. I'll give him a cookie or carrot piece, and a few minutes later hear "crunch crunch crunch."

Default do all STB's do this...

My OTSB, when thwarted or impatient, works her tongue out the side of her mouth and stretches her neck and twists her head sideways. I think I've seen other STB's do this...is it a breed thing?

my mare waits till shes home to pee in her stable lol
    she will go when out but she prefers her stable shes also poohs in the same place in her stable so mucking her out is a doddle lol

My Paint gelding is a licker, and he's not particular about who or what he licks. Hands are great, but so is clothing. He does the yawning thing right before I put the bridle on.

He usually will stop and poop on the way in, and maybe get a quick drink. Does he make a beeline for me? No, he's the alpha and he makes a point of pinning his ears and making the rest of them scatter even if he has to take a few steps in the wrong direction. When he goes back out, the order seems to be poop, pee, and then chase everybody away from the round bale while he figures out which spot is the best. Usually he will nap with his butt up against the bale, unless he decides to lie down for a snooze and block even more.